Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2018, 07:46 PM

That's a lot of loss of people close to you.

Just reading about it is painful.

I'd second the thoughts about talking with someone about it.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:54 PM

So sorry to hear it. Be good to yourself and your family.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
I mean it. And we here near SF are spending $200 million to stop a few folks from jumping from a bridge. I think both things are alarming. That's $200 million with an M.

http://time.com/4736962/golden-gate-bridge-suicide-net/
We had something like 60 people a year jumping from the Bloor St Viaduct in Toronto, so a veil system was installed to prevent jumpers.
It worked....but the subway has a large number of suicides as well.

The amount of suicides never seem to reduce.

Sad situation.

I also have a friend who's daughter committed suicide a few days before Christmas. It's something I can't even imagine dealing with.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2018, 08:24 PM
なんでやねん

Utter meaningless and emptiness, feeling there's no hope and no chance things will ever get better, and most importantly being completely convinced that no one cares.

I've been closer than I want to be.

Never, ever assume that people know you care.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:27 PM
Tired Member

Really sorry to read this. It's a sad and horrible thing to have to go through for everyone.

Quote:
I mean it. And we here near SF are spending $200 million to stop a few folks from jumping from a bridge. I think both things are alarming. That's $200 million with an M.

The George Washington Bridge that connects Manhattan to New Jersey here in NY got one this past December. Reviews are sort of mixed on whether people like having it, but I saw a woman go off the bridge 20'-30' in front of me. I rode up to the spot and looked over. I was spared the sight as the tide was coming in. I rode back to the cops I had just passed and explained what happened. Before I finished explaining, a cruiser pulled up behind those two, one cop hopped in and the other one walked me off the bridge. This was on my commute on the bike. I think I've seen the effects of about 8 jumpers (cops cleaning up, river crews, a body bag being zipped up along the river, etc), but this was the only one I actually saw go.

I am very happy to have my taxes go to that safety net.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:

They just installed a high fence with attached netting on the George Washington Bridge, in order to prevent suicides: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/29/n...ide-fence.html.

A close friend of mine committed suicide about 10 years ago, and I still think about him often. He was working a dead-end job, while struggling to repay his law school loans. His fiancee had broken off their engagement a few months earlier. His behavior was becoming more erratic, and he talked to me jokingly (I thought) about committing suicide, but when I heard the news that he had jumped out a window in his office building, I couldn't believe it.

Last edited by fiamme red; 01-10-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:38 PM

Last edited by cadence90; 01-11-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceolwulf View Post
Utter meaningless and emptiness, feeling there's no hope and no chance things will ever get better, and most importantly being completely convinced that no one cares.

I've been closer than I want to be.

Never, ever assume that people know you care.
I'm sorry to hear this and I hope you are in a better place now. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
I have not read the thread at all, but thanks for less than nothing for bringing up some incredibly bad memories with the title and first lines of post #1.

Not every single personal thing needs to be put out in public, really.

And people complain about TdF spoilers, etc.
F888 that, compared to this.
So sorry that you were affected so strongly by Keith’s post. I can only imagine what happened in your life for you to feel so strongly.

Please remember that this is first and foremost a forum made up of real people going through real things. And, many of these people feel that the forum is a community-family-place to come and share the good and bad in their lives. Oh, sometimes cycling stuff too.

So, if you can see through the bad feelings, maybe reach out to Keith and the rest of the community. Send him some positive vibes. Maybe it will help with what you are going through as well.

Good thoughts going your way...
Old 01-10-2018, 09:13 PM
Administrator

cadence90 -- I wanted to apologize for touching on a subject that is obviously painful for you. This is a sensitive subject for many people, and I have appreciated the helpful replies in this discussion. I truly hope that you can find peace at some point.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

I’m sorry to hear of your loses Keith. It’s something many of us have confronted over the years. I wish the best for you and the family members left behind .

Ceowulf- yep, you summed it up well for how many feel. Hope you know there are many people who do care even if some of us are on the other end of a keyboard.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:23 PM

Keith

I apologize for my message. No value in my bringing money matters at the Golden Gate into the conversation related to your sadness. Not my best side and I only hope the best for you and those you care about.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment as I just found out that a teenage son of one of our friends just passed away. He's been in critical condition since Friday when it appears that he tried to take his own life.

This is on top of another friend who found his parents dead in their home just a couple of weeks ago. His father killed his mother and then took his own life. His brother committed suicide about a year ago, and now all of his immediate family members are gone.

Ugh...I just feel sick.
Be there for them if you can. Very hard on all who are involved. Best wishes to you...and them.

BUT, the original post and responses shows the power of this forum..Not a bad thing..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-11-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Depression is a very serious issue, and too many folks out there don't the get treatment then need.
This. There is a stigma to mental issues that not only seems to not be going away, but seems to be increasing. I have a niece (wife's side) who has been hospitalized twice, once not of her own free will as it was deemed she was a danger to herself, and there is this cloak of silence that shrouds the entire situation by her family, like it'll make THEM look bad. It's not about them. This is a college student who is a beautiful girl, extremely intelligent and creative, excels at sports etc etc. You want to scream when you hear oh what is their problem, they have the world by the balls, popular, gorgeous etc., yeah well obviously they didn't feel that way about themselves, and with no treatment it tends to end badly.

Part of $200M would do better if it went to treatment facilities, docs etc.. Just my opinion.

I think most of us have been closer than we'd like to be, for whatever reason. Something as seemingly benign as losing a job, seems like it just sucks but for some not having a purpose can be that trigger. The human mind is more complicated than can be fathomed.

Last edited by binxnyrwarrsoul; 01-11-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:45 AM

I'm so sorry to hear of this. Like so many others I too have lost too many people in my life to suicide. It never seems to get easier but instead just gets smaller as time moves on.

dave