Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-04-2020, 08:26 PM

Chorus 10sp to 12sp, anything special I need to do?

I have a Moots with 10 speed for sale, but am considering maybe keeping it and upgrading the group set. Would be Chorus or Record mechanical 12 speed. Anything I need to know? Would this require a wheel change? Chorus wheels now. Thanks!
Old 07-04-2020, 08:36 PM
aka RAEKWON

should all be fine
Old 07-04-2020, 10:57 PM

I have mechanical Super Record 12 on one of my bikes, Record 11 EPS v3 on another and mechanical 2015 Chorus 11 on another. I gotta say, I love all of them but 2015 mechanical is really the sweet spot. I will say the fantastic gearing range on Campy 12 is really great. I run standard chainrings with an 11-32 and it’s the most versatile gearing I’ve ever had!
12 will be a HUGE leap up from 10. But it’s a shame you skipped the last version of 11 speed.
Good luck and enjoy!
Old 07-04-2020, 10:57 PM

Just shift a couple more times.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:10 PM

Haha, it's less about the extra two speeds and more that this bike has had the same gruppo for a decade and a refresh would be kinda nice! Plus I really enjoy the new (11-12spd) campy look. May even get an 11 speed, thanks for the recommendation.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple View Post
I have a Moots with 10 speed for sale, but am considering maybe keeping it and upgrading the group set. Would be Chorus or Record mechanical 12 speed. Anything I need to know? Would this require a wheel change? Chorus wheels now. Thanks!
If you want to supe up the Moots, go for it! You're a bit limited with clearance but could still do some modern wider wheels with 25mm tires on them (puff up to measured 27s or so). And add in the 12spd Chorus, and maybe some lighter bars/stem/post....and you'll be feeling like you're on a new bike..

A lightly-used or cobbled-together R11 or SR11 would achieve the same thing though, and for less or similar funds to the C12 if you bargain hunt.

Or just drop the price on the Moots until it's gone (selling F/F/HS may be easier), and treat yourself to something new if you want.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:49 PM

I just went from record 10 ( all I’ve really used since it came out) to chorus 12 and I couldn’t be happier.

You need a torx driver to install the levers and a chain tool that can peen the pin. Other than that, it’s pretty straight forward.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I just went from record 10 ( all I’ve really used since it came out) to chorus 12 and I couldn’t be happier.

You need a torx driver to install the levers and a chain tool that can peen the pin. Other than that, it’s pretty straight forward.
This one works really well for the job:

Old 07-05-2020, 01:03 AM

supposedly 12sp eagle chainlinks play well if you don't want to buy 200$ chain tool
Old 07-05-2020, 03:50 AM

I upgraded from Record 10 to Chorus 12, my impressions are the Chorus 12 feels cheaper, setting up the rear derailleur/cassette is a little bit fiddly compared to the 10spd, the new shifters feel great and use a SRAM Eagle link, cheaper and works fine...

The other thing I initially regret doing was using Squirt chain lube on my Chorus 12 spd...the jockey wheels got clogged up and it effected my shifting constantly, it was so hard to get the gears to quieten down. So I cleaned what I could and went back to Finish Line Wet, runs like a dream now...
Old 07-05-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakatel_Luum View Post
I upgraded from Record 10 to Chorus 12, my impressions are the Chorus 12 feels cheaper, setting up the rear derailleur/cassette is a little bit fiddly compared to the 10spd, the new shifters feel great and use a SRAM Eagle link, cheaper and works fine...
Campy appears to have downgraded their groups a bit. Record 12 RD no longer has a carbon jockey wheel cage, hollow cranks, little holes in the shift levers and carbon FD cage. Same for Chorus 12; RD body and shift levers are now aluminum, etc.

Tim
Old 07-05-2020, 08:07 AM

Chorus 12 has been downgraded a bit with the aluminum brake levers, but they feel great. The finish is a black paint with the same type of clear coat used on the carbon levers. I had a little wreck and scratched the end of a lever. It was very easy to touch up.

The price of the Chorus 12 group is also lower. It's hard to complain about 12 speed at a lower price.

The new rim brakes have Shimano style brake pads. I have one bike with the 2018 11 speed brakes and one with the new brakes. I can't tell any difference.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Chorus 12 has been downgraded a bit with the aluminum brake levers, but they feel great. The finish is a black paint with the same type of clear coat used on the carbon levers. I had a little wreck and scratched the end of a lever. It was very easy to touch up.

The price of the Chorus 12 group is also lower. It's hard to complain about 12 speed at a lower price.

The new rim brakes have Shimano style brake pads. I have one bike with the 2018 11 speed brakes and one with the new brakes. I can't tell any difference.
I for one, applaud some of this rather 'fragile' and market/whizbangery driven stuff being made of aluminum now. I sold and recommended aluminum cage front ders for a long time..even on some SR/Record groups. They are certainly less expensive but I wouldn't describe it as a 'downgrade', particularly since it IS less expensive.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
They are certainly less expensive but I wouldn't describe it as a 'downgrade', particularly since it IS less expensive.
That has been my take. It doesn’t feel like they downgraded performance in any way. In the case of chorus, they replaced three carbon fiber parts with aluminum, added a cog, refined shifting and ergonomics, and then charged less for it.

Campagnolo tried a similar move in the 10spd era when Centaur and Veloce got too expensive but in that case, I think they took it too far. This time around, they seem to have found the right place for Super Record through Chorus. Word on the street is Potenza is in for an update/rebrand this fall. It will be interesting to see where it goes.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
That has been my take. It doesn’t feel like they downgraded performance in any way. In the case of chorus, they replaced three carbon fiber parts with aluminum, added a cog, refined shifting and ergonomics, and then charged less for it.

Campagnolo tried a similar move in the 10spd era when Centaur and Veloce got too expensive but in that case, I think they took it too far. This time around, they seem to have found the right place for Super Record through Chorus. Word on the street is Potenza is in for an update/rebrand this fall. It will be interesting to see where it goes.
I would not call it "downgrade" either. I think they rationalized their line-up. It didn't make any sense before, the difference between SR and Chorus was minimal and some people was thinking about Chorus as a third-tier groupset. I would have gone full aluminum, leave CF for Record and SR.