Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-04-2020, 12:51 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Exhibit Mxxxxxo. Undersized frameset. Long and low on the front end. Stiff out back.

20 mile shakedown ride was a success. This bike is a lot of fun to ride. It gathers speed quickly. Loves to sprint. Has a nice supple feel. And inspires a lot of confidence going down and into corners.

Keeper? Maybe. Need to see how it runs with a 140mm stem instead of the 130mm on there now. A 57 would probably be better in the reach - at the expense of more stack though, unless custom, or snipped. The 56 may be just right for the purpose. More miles tomorrow should settle that.

this is a 56? or 57?

How did you manage to shrink? There is a bike that is a 54 that I am interested in and would love to know your trick
Old 07-04-2020, 01:04 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Exhibit Mxxxxxo. Undersized frameset. Long and low on the front end. Stiff out back.

20 mile shakedown ride was a success.
What is the actual EFF TT length? As to stiff out back, those fat straight stays will definitely accomplish that.

I learned accidentally on a 56 BMW M Racer I bought to harvest the SR groupo off. I ride a 59 ultimately. This was soon after I lost 35 lb. and got my gut outta the way.

I decided I'd ride the BMW for 25 mile ride to sample. With the gut my saddle bar drop was in the 4.5-5CM range. This BMW 56 slammed was 9CM drop. OK, I'll get a back ache, but I didn't.

2 take-aways, and I suspect one of them will apply to Dan being we kinda ride the same size bike.

1) I'd never have dropped the bars that much on purpose, but learned that I was more comfortable in 20 years earlier position without a spare L60 tire around my waste, and I could breath down low too.

1a) Aero; check, more setback; check, faster; check. Now all my bike [go fast ones] are 9+CM drop by 2nd season sans L60 tire around my waste.

2) As much fun as it was dancing on the 56 road race geometry slammed, more nimble, quicker response steering, seemingly jumpier accelerations... Not a century position, more of a Tuesday rocket ride weapon/asset. Small is still small, but fun? Yep!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Da_Slam.jpg (146.9 KB, 274 views)

Last edited by robt57; 07-04-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoymamba View Post

Columbus Max
700x30
Direct Mount Brakes
Collecting a lot of dust...
Sad to see a bike like that collecting dust...
Old 07-04-2020, 01:21 PM

bottles from twin six? IIRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
Saddle is looking good! Nice Sachs

I do like orange bikes. Usually I'd say bottles out of pics, but in this case, it makes it. The pattern is cool, where are they from?
Its not too clear in the photo but those are stars not dots
Old 07-04-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
this is a 56? or 57?

How did you manage to shrink? There is a bike that is a 54 that I am interested in and would love to know your trick
73-STA instead of 72/72.5-STA means I use a full 25mm setback post. 17.3HT plus CK stack means a -17 stem works to deliver appropriate drop. 130mm stem (may try a 140 if I can find it). Badda-bing badda-boom, reach from bars to saddle becomes the same as my Kirk despite 3cm difference in effective TT length. And I'm nice and centered on the bike while having a good amount over the front end. A 57 w a shorter HT would be a bit more ideal, but also unobtainable.

Headed out to do some longer miles on it, will see how it runs.

Try the 54. You might like it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
What is the actual EFF TT length? As to stiff out back, those fat straight stays will definitely accomplish that.

I learned accidentally on a 56 BMW M Racer I bought to harvest the SR groupo off. I ride a 59 ultimately. This was soon after I lost 35 lb. and got my gut outta the way.

I decided I'd ride the BMW for 25 mile ride to sample. With the gut my saddle bar drop was in the 4.5-5CM range. This BMW 56 slammed was 9CM drop. OK, I'll get a back ache, but I didn't.

2 take-aways, and I suspect one of them will apply to Dan being we kinda ride the same size bike.

1) I'd never have dropped the bars that much on purpose, but learned that I was more comfortable in 20 years earlier position without a spare L60 tire around my waste, and I could breath down low too.

1a) Aero; check, more setback; check, faster; check. Now all my bike [go fast ones] are 9+CM drop by 2nd season sans L60 tire around my waste.

2) As much fun as it was dancing on the 56 road race geometry slammed, more nimble, quicker response steering, seemingly jumpier accelerations... Not a century position, more of a Tuesday rocket ride weapon/asset. Small is still small, but fun? Yep!
565 ETT - no sloper. 58.5 CTT on the ST.

I think of it as a 58cm frameset w a shorter TT meant to run a long stem.

Old 07-04-2020, 01:43 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
565 ETT - no sloper. 58.5 CTT on the ST.

I think of it as a 58cm frameset w a shorter TT meant to run a long stem.

Interestingly, with that STA the CS seem reasonable not as short as possible. What size tire are those?

I want to ride that.

BTW, love the color too. My 753 frame is similar color, need a refresh though...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RMA-PDX-Road_ (1).jpg (20.1 KB, 271 views)

Last edited by robt57; 07-04-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:

20 mile shakedown ride was a success. This bike is a lot of fun to ride. It gathers speed quickly. Loves to sprint. Has a nice supple feel. And inspires a lot of confidence going down and into corners.

Keeper? Maybe. Need to see how it runs with a 140mm stem instead of the 130mm on there now. A 57 would probably be better in the reach - at the expense of more stack though, unless custom, or snipped. The 56 may be just right for the purpose. More miles tomorrow should settle that.

Yes! Some boras now, please. I agree with the rear end. It’s crazy rocket off the line. It’s more reactive than some modern carbon bikes I’ve ridden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoymamba View Post

Columbus Max
700x30
Direct Mount Brakes
Collecting a lot of dust...
Bike like that..why dust?
Old 07-04-2020, 02:29 PM

Going over the Golden Gate Bridge pretty windy cross winds my 31 year old steel steel Bike way better than my new carbon crux also on decent cross winds can make the crux feel like you are surfing the old bottecchia seemS little trouble by that .
Old 07-04-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
Yes! Some boras now, please. I agree with the rear end. It’s crazy rocket off the line. It’s more reactive than some modern carbon bikes I’ve ridden.
Closest I'll get is Eurus - which I found a steal of a price on and have coming.. I'm just not a carbon guy. I like the sound of alloy wheels, and the confidence. These Open Pro rims are actually really nice. The 25mm Vittoria Corsas sit on them nicely and the hubs are of course butter (Record 32H). Not the lightest, but decent.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:08 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
73-STA instead of 72/72.5-STA means I use a full 25mm setback post. 17.3HT plus CK stack means a -17 stem works to deliver appropriate drop. 130mm stem (may try a 140 if I can find it). Badda-bing badda-boom, reach from bars to saddle becomes the same as my Kirk despite 3cm difference in effective TT length. And I'm nice and centered on the bike while having a good amount over the front end. A 57 w a shorter HT would be a bit more ideal, but also unobtainable.

Try the 54. You might like it.

I have tried 55s and way too small. Felt very cramped in there. I now have 56.5-57.5 and that is the sweet spot for me. I have also tried bigger bikes, have had a 59 and a 60 and both felt way too big.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Did 50 miles on it today over varied terrain. Same great feeling all around. I would choose a 570 or 575 TT and the same HT height if I had that choice to make, just to get a bit more front center and not have quite so much toe overlap - which I only notice when trackstanding at lights on the way out of town. Set a PR on a ~24min climb, just riding tempo in the 34x27, not necessarily pushing it. And railed some decents and rollers faster than I've ever taken them. No ill effects from a fit perspective. The drop really isn't that aggressive for someone my height.. Anyway, I'd encourage others to experiment outside of their normal ranges if they have the opportunity and are looking for a go-fast, N+1 setup.

This is all an interesting and somewhat aggravating reminder that I shoulda kept this one:

Same 73-STA, but 575 on the TT and similar stack.

Last edited by Clean39T; 07-05-2020 at 01:23 AM.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:32 AM

If you were building a “go fast” metal road bike...

Quote:
Did 50 miles on it today over varied terrain. Same great feeling all around. I would choose a 570 or 575 TT and the same HT height if I had that choice to make, just to get a bit more front center and not have quite so much toe overlap - which I only notice when trackstanding at lights on the way out of town. Set a PR on a ~24min climb, just riding tempo in the 34x27, not necessarily pushing it. And railed some decents and rollers faster than I've ever taken them. No ill effects from a fit perspective. The drop really isn't that aggressive for someone my height.. Anyway, I'd encourage others to experiment outside of their normal ranges if they have the opportunity and are looking for a go-fast, N+1 setup.

This is all an interesting and somewhat aggravating reminder that I shoulda kept this one:

The last one’s proportions seemed good. What’s the saddle-bar drop on the peg now? You big bike folk have more options to play around with for fit, that’s for sure. I need 10.5 to 11 cm bar drop and I have to run traditional bars to get the fit I want on my smaller bikes. But any bike smaller than 50cm starts to look weird to me and geo is negatively affected like too long trail and too short in the top tube. I don’t like running longer stems because steering then feels like turning a bus. Maybe a custom frame sometime in the future for me..
Old 07-05-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:

I love the Conn Rust Mxxxxxo! It is exactly what I think of when hearing go fast metal bike. I had a 54cm which was within my fit parameters, but would like to try the next size down if I ever decide to pick up another one! Yours looks great!
Old 07-05-2020, 10:03 AM

This is my go fast metal bike. I built it up early this week and after a couple of rides I am very impressed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk