Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2019, 12:43 PM

etap 11 rim brake build kits seem in short supply

is SRAM phasing out 11 all together or just a temporary constraint. most parts in stock online but try to find a left hand shifter...maybe one from China on Amazon and that's it.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:47 PM

Yeah, I posted a thread about this around a month ago. Might be some info in that thread for you. But I came to same conclusion - not much to be found out there. An obscure site called Clever Training seems to have a set. https://www.clevertraining.com/sram-...ctric-road-kit
Don't know a thing about that retailer, so I decided to pass.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:50 PM
aka RAEKWON

yeah, its going to suck when we need parts in the future.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Yeah, I posted a thread about this around a month ago. Might be some info in that thread for you. But I came to same conclusion - not much to be found out there. An obscure site called Clever Training seems to have a set. https://www.clevertraining.com/sram-...ctric-road-kit
DC Rainmaker links to Clever Training all the time. I was under the impression that they mainly did power meters.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:53 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
not a obscure site at all. That shop sponsons DC rainmaker. There is a DC rainmaker card that you get to get discounts, ect.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:59 PM

One of my predictions about electronic shifting, which has been turning out to be true so far, is that product cycles (and spare parts availability) will be much shorter than for mechanical shifting.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
One of my predictions about electronic shifting, which has been turning out to be true so far, is that product cycles (and spare parts availability) will be much shorter than for mechanical shifting.
Maybe. eTap came out 4 years ago. Shimano and Campy have also on a 4-5 year product cycle for each of their road groupsets for some time now, for both mechanical and electric.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:02 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
maybe but I bet the next e group from sram will be compatible with AXS.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:07 PM
Administrator

The state of tech is moving really fast right now. too fast.

while it does not make it easy for us end users, i feel it must be an absolute nightmare for traditional bike shops.

floor models with last years components are practically ancient history. customer comes in with a busted couple year old RD and the bike shop has to break the news: sorry, we can't get you a replacement any more.

for years and years most bike shops would have practically anything you needed to get your bike back on the road on hand, that's practically impossible now.

i must sound retro-grouchy, but i'm really not. i'm all for innovation, but there is just a LOT going on right now in the way of changes.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:16 PM

Guess that is why there is ebay
Old 07-18-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i must sound retro-grouchy, but i'm really not. i'm all for innovation, but there is just a LOT going on right now in the way of changes.
To me, the biggest issue is that all the big brands seem to have missed a huge opportunity with respect to electronic shifting and backwards compatibility. While I'm not an engineer, it strikes me that it could have been feasible for systems like di2 or etap to be made compatible with any gear count/spacing with just a software toggle. This could have allowed them to keep pushing the frontier of development, without the need to manufacture/stock an ever-increasing number of parts.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:22 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
The state of tech is moving really fast right now. too fast.

while it does not make it easy for us end users, i feel it must be an absolute nightmare for traditional bike shops.

floor models with last years components are practically ancient history. customer comes in with a busted couple year old RD and the bike shop has to break the news: sorry, we can't get you a replacement any more.

for years and years most bike shops would have practically anything you needed to get your bike back on the road on hand, that's practically impossible now.

can't wait for the post. "LBS is terrible, cannot believe it did not have a spare 2016 E-tap Rear derailleur"
Old 07-18-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Maybe. eTap came out 4 years ago. Shimano and Campy have also on a 4-5 year product cycle for each of their road groupsets for some time now, for both mechanical and electric.
(Mechanical) 12spd came out last year. But you can still buy brand new 7spd, 8spd, 9spd, 10spd and 11spd (mechanical) shifters/assemblies today (pairs or individuals). The product cycle for mechanical systems is longer than 4-5 years.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:29 PM
aka RAEKWON

I think sram just changed their system too much with AXS and decided to not include the OG etap. I think they could have but they did not want to dump money into making it work. I am totally fine with this decision as the OG etap is excellent. I have a bike with it and just sold a bike with it as well. However, they need to make parts available for it for a few years down the line.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:36 PM

Pretty common in most industries to provide post-discontinuance support (parts/tech support) for 7-10 years. My industry - medical devices - requires 7 years post-discontinuance support/equivalent replacement if you want to sell to government healthcare institutions. The private market expects 7 years parts and tech support as a result.

Sram will pay a price for no support 4 years after product launch - not even discontinuance.