Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsew View Post
On this same theme, has anybody bought one of those cheapo amazon lights for mountain biking? Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Victagen-Head...=fsclp_pl_dp_5 or any of it's ilk?
Yes, I have one mounted on my Jackson Kraken fishing kayak.

Probably annoying to others on the shore, but throws a ton of light when I'm out walleye fishing at the cabin.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:44 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
I've been very disappointed with my Lezyne tail light. Maybe about one-year worth of usage in the last three years, and it's now dead. The battery is not replaceable, so I have to get a new one.

Anyone has suggestion for bright lights using replaceable battery?
Are you talking tail lights? I use PDW that use AAA batteries.

https://ridepdw.com/collections/tail-lights
Old 09-11-2019, 07:59 PM

Lupine or nothing!

Just kidding but if you might be interested in a full Dinotte set up, I will be posting one up shortly in the classifieds. A bit older tech but still plenty bright.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsew View Post
On this same theme, has anybody bought one of those cheapo amazon lights for mountain biking? Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Victagen-Head...=fsclp_pl_dp_5 or any of it's ilk?
I just ordered one for ****s and giggles. For a while, I'll carry and run a second light to make sure this thing is reliable.

https://www.amazon.com/victagen-USB-...b_image_sports
Old 09-11-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
Lupine or nothing!

Just kidding but if you might be interested in a full Dinotte set up, I will be posting one up shortly in the classifieds. A bit older tech but still plenty bright.
The rochtlicht, Lupine’s rear light, is the bomb too. Small, bright, with a smart braking light and built like ... fine German manufacturing.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:34 PM
Viva Chamucos

Lighting options are really good the past few years. Brighter, longer run times, much lighter weight wise, more consistent operating. You can pick up a niterider micro with 850 lumens. One on the handlebar and another on the helmet. $65 a piece.

Nice to have around the house as a high powered flashlight too.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
I have a couple of the newer Bontrager Ion Pro 1300 lights. Love them. Thumb screw bar mount is easy to move bike to bike also.
o
I’m a huge fan of the Bontrager lights. 1300lm is amazing, particularly considering that’s more lumens than most recessed downlights in your house. Good, even beam pattern and some models sync with Garmins for auto start & stop.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:24 AM

I use a Cygolite Metro – 700 Lumen in front and a Cygolite Hotshot – 100 Lumen for rear. Bought extra handlebar and seat post mounts for easy switching between bikes. USB charging is convenient too.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:51 PM

Update -- Light and Motion came through and decided to honor the warranty, even though it's been a month since expired. Very cool. So no new light from a different brand for me -- just the same light but new.

Here's the light I have: https://www.lightandmotion.com/shop/.../urban-1000-fc. It's actually been just about perfect in the two years I've used it until now. Here's hoping for another two years of use!
Old 09-12-2019, 10:54 PM

there's the dinotte quad, then there's everything else...which typically needs explanation or justification.

speaking from experience, i have a tool drawer full of the latter.

suck up the bonkers price, get the right thing once, and be done with it.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:13 AM

I'm still looking for a light I can use with the Specialized Aerofly drop bars that straps to the bars around the wide part directly to the left of the stem so it's easily removable once the sun comes up. I don't want to use a helmet mounted light or that out front mount that has the computer on top and a Light & motion urban underneath. Ideally it would have a removable battery so I could carry an extra for the evenings (double centuries).
Old 09-25-2019, 10:35 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravdg316 View Post
Update -- Light and Motion came through and decided to honor the warranty, even though it's been a month since expired. Very cool. So no new light from a different brand for me -- just the same light but new.

Here's the light I have: https://www.lightandmotion.com/shop/.../urban-1000-fc. It's actually been just about perfect in the two years I've used it until now. Here's hoping for another two years of use!
they pretty much did the same for me many years ago when an HID light quit working just past warranty date. they were moving to LED lights then, so gave me a deal on a Seca 900..that light is still going strong.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Lighting options are really good the past few years. Brighter, longer run times, much lighter weight wise, more consistent operating. You can pick up a niterider micro with 850 lumens. One on the handlebar and another on the helmet. $65 a piece.

Nice to have around the house as a high powered flashlight too.
I've been using Nightrider for years w/o issue. The Lumina series have an internal battery so no external batteries or wires. I upgraded last year to a Lumina 1200 on the bars and the Lumina 850 micro on the helmet for my mountain bike night rides. It's a great combination. And they recently came out with a Lumina 1800 with dual lamps which will likely be my next upgrade.

My old lights become spares, loaners and flashlights. I also use the Solas rear light, mostly on the road, and have been happy with those too.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:52 AM

L&M headlights have always been great for me. Their customer service is always really great. If or when my urban 1000 kicks it ill be picking up the Bontrager 1300 unit.

For a taillight I have been using a Bontrager Flare RT, weighs almost nothing, super compact, and has a 90-lumen day flash mode. I never ride without a light. During daytime rides, I also throw on the Bontrager Ion200 RT for its day flash.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpoke View Post
I've been using Nightrider for years w/o issue. The Lumina series have an internal battery so no external batteries or wires. I upgraded last year to a Lumina 1200 on the bars and the Lumina 850 micro on the helmet for my mountain bike night rides. It's a great combination. And they recently came out with a Lumina 1800 with dual lamps which will likely be my next upgrade.

My old lights become spares, loaners and flashlights. I also use the Solas rear light, mostly on the road, and have been happy with those too.
I got the Lumina 1200 last December and it worked great up until two weeks ago when it stopped charging. I called customer service and they repaired it with no proof of purchase and no questions asked. Not sure if the initial problem with charging is widespread but the customer service was great.