Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2019, 03:36 PM

The decks I've built all had the joists perpendicular to the house and deck boards parallel to the house. A little slope of the joists toward the house really wouldn't hurt. Water should run between the boards.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:22 PM
cmg

yes, get $40k worth of engineering services to prove your point of the minor settling. then spend $5K on lawyer fees. you'll win 3 years later, right before the contractor declares bankruptcy and changes the company name.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:44 PM

Are the posts bolted into brackets in the cement, or are they set into it?

If the former, a decent contractor could pop in a temp, take out the post that is too high, give it a trim, and put the whole thing back together. It's a two hour project--and should be done by a person who stands behind their work.

If the post is encased--it would be a little harder to do...
Old 09-11-2019, 04:53 PM

I did not know that they made 5' levels, 4 and 6 foot are standard.
So in a 60" or 5' level it is out about 1/4 bubble, that is roughly 1/8" per foot.
It will be fine and I would just enjoy the deck.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:01 PM

Is it attached to the house on one side? In my experience (n=1 as a homebuyer, plus reports from a couple of friends) deck footings usually do settle a bit (maybe because the contractor cut corners on the footings as another poster stated), so if the low side is connected to the house I wouldn't rush to drop the high side into perfect level just yet-- it may get there on it's own. Level it now and you may find it is too low next spring. Just hope it stops on the level .
Old 09-11-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
Are the posts bolted into brackets in the cement, or are they set into it?

If the former, a decent contractor could pop in a temp, take out the post that is too high, give it a trim, and put the whole thing back together. It's a two hour project--and should be done by a person who stands behind their work.

If the post is encased--it would be a little harder to do...
This probably. ^^^^^^^^^
Old 09-11-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
yes, get $40k worth of engineering services to prove your point of the minor settling. then spend $5K on lawyer fees. you'll win 3 years later, right before the contractor declares bankruptcy and changes the company name.
Its been a while but I used to have engineers who would do a basic site visit and evaluation and maybe sketch out a plan for a few hundred dollars. Guys who were retired from the big job and maintained a license for a little retirement work. This ain’t rocket science or a 100 story skyscraper.

I think we kinda agree in that this does not need drastic measures to solve.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:38 PM

Michigan

It's Michigan. That thing is going to freeze, thaw, get snowed on, rained on, cooked by the sun and so on. Give it a couple years and that thing will probably be way out of whack. Just like the drywall in your house. Looks great in the beginning. Them the seasons fly by and tape is showing, screws are backing out, cracks appear, etc. Freezing and thawing are hell on houses, just like our roads. I had basement cracks in the concrete floor before we moved into our brand new house. Was told by the inspector cracks are just like taxes and death in the great white north. If it bothers you enough have them come out and try to fix it.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:48 PM

That's a tiny amount of slope, which should help drain surface water. I wouldn't fret too much. Often times, the lumbers, both framing and decking have some warpage resulting in the slight slope you see. I think it's normal, try the level at different locations.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:52 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmdesigner View Post
The people are real.
The cases are real.
This is Judge Judy.

arrange disorder

Old 09-11-2019, 07:07 PM
Two wheels good

I believe in things being done correctly but unless noticeable when you are standing on it or it is going to send a bunch of water against your house I'd let it go. Life is too short to get overly bummed about this.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:02 PM
DELETE ACCNT

You hired a contractor that didn't completely savage your bung hole.
That's a win.
Put a chair on the deck and enjoy a beer.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:22 PM

Unless you're an expert on deck construction yourself, you are going to have to rely on the opinion of others. I mean; I don't know what the tolerances are for deck slope; are there industry standards? Same with the spacing between boards.

As HenryA suggested, find a retired contractor who can provide an authoritative assessment of your problem. As has been suggested, if the deck has to be inspected by your city to fulfill a building permit, ask the inspector for a referral.

If you have a legitimate grievance, give the BIL a chance to repair it, but advise him if he doesn't, you'll have to either get a lawyer or take him to small claims court. And of course, you've got the in-law factor to deal with. This is an excellent case study on why you shouldn't hire relatives.

I raised an eyebrow when the OP used a level to check the BIL's work. Was it visually obvious or is the OP a nightmare customer (no hostility intended)?
Old 09-11-2019, 08:40 PM

Unacceptable workmanship

As a building contractor of 48 years experience, I would be thoroughly ashamed to complete a project even remotely out of level. Any deck built to modern standards should have footings dug to below frost (minimum 36” here in PA) AND on firm undisturbed bearing soil.

If the side of the deck away from the house is high, then it is likely not a settlement issue, but rather, a workmanship issue. Should be a relatively simple task for a capable carpenter to lower the high support post, or deepen the main horizontal support beam notches in the support posts rather than shortening the post(s).

A picture of how the posts and beam are arranged would be helpful.

Finally, a friendly request of your BIL to adjust the deck would be in order. Personally I’d be horrified to learn I left my work out of level and would want to correct the problem for both your satisfaction... and my own! Good luck.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:44 PM

he's a cousin-in-law.

this issue is visible to naked eye -- guests have noticed it. and the guy writing the checks noticed it, too.

2 decks built in the project. *both* have non-level issues that are visible to the naked eye. level comes out when payer says it's not level and contractor says it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
I raised an eyebrow when the OP used a level to check the BIL's work. Was it visually obvious or is the OP a nightmare customer (no hostility intended)?

Last edited by wallymann; 09-11-2019 at 09:47 PM.