Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-2019, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Nice gestures while riding today...

People on the trail were paying attention, not buried in their phones, and dogs were on leashes kept short and off the trail as I passed...

The proverbial soccer mom driving a big Chevy Suburban stopped and let me cross where the trail I was on crossed the road. Gave me a wave and a smile...

Big lifted Dodge Ram pick-up truck with chrome stacks and an American flag waving gave me a wide berth on the road and didn't coal roll me while passing. Gave them a nice wave and an arm popped out the divers side window and waved back as he continued up the road...

I didn't spot anyone on their phones while driving and the bike lane was clear on the sections I had to ride them....

All in all a nice ride day. Anyone else have a fun ride with some nice gestures thrown in?

William
Old 09-10-2019, 01:16 PM

I do from time to time....and call it a real nice day! .....as it doesn’t happen so many time unfortunately.

It really depends where you live however....
Old 09-10-2019, 01:19 PM

I'd go play the lotto if I were you
Old 09-10-2019, 01:53 PM
Small ring

Sounds like you may have died and gone to Heaven.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:56 PM
Administrator

365 days a year: I think nice and/or uneventful rides happen way more than rides with incidents. Don't get me wrong, I have had my share of incidents and close calls, but percentage wise those are much lower. I would just rather talk about the good rides and nice gestures.

W.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:02 PM

it's funny... i sometimes think we're as susceptible to confirmation bias as drivers are about us. a huge majority of the interactions i have with folks on foot, folks in cars, etc, are positive. the one or 2 a week that don't go so well, they definitely stick out, and i feel myself getting into the whole "all X are jerks" kinda thing. but i force myself to think about what a tiny tiny percentage they really account for.

today i had a driver "stuck" behind me for a good half-mile (it was unsafe for them to pass, so i took the lane). they waited patiently, and i gave them a wave as they passed -- and they passed with plenty of room.

i encountered a dog walker with the usual "trip-wire" setup across the path. i slowed down a bit, rang my bell and announced on your left. they were a bit startled (not much i was able to do about that), but they consolidated to one side of the trail and said "good morning". i replied with "enjoy your day".

i really feel like that's how most things go. i at least make a small/polite nod to everyone (whether in a car, on foot, with a dog -- if they're a person, i try to help them remember that i'm one too). the interactions are usually positive. i know it only takes one bad one to land you in the hospital, but i just usually feel like people don't really want to hurt other people.

maybe i'm naive/willfully ignorant, but it just never seems that bad out there to me (and i ride in and out of downtown denver and downtown dc all the time). but i'll go out there and say i had some nice gestures today... and i do everyday.

be safe everyone, and enjoy the ride!
Old 09-10-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
Sounds like you may have died and gone to Heaven.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
People on the trail were paying attention, not buried in their phones, and dogs were on leashes kept short and off the trail as I passed...

The proverbial soccer mom driving a big Chevy Suburban stopped and let me cross where the trail I was on crossed the road. Gave me a wave and a smile...

Big lifted Dodge Ram pick-up truck with chrome stacks and an American flag waving gave me a wide berth on the road and didn't coal roll me while passing. Gave them a nice wave and an arm popped out the divers side window and waved back as he continued up the road...

I didn't spot anyone on their phones while driving and the bike lane was clear on the sections I had to ride them....

All in all a nice ride day. Anyone else have a fun ride with some nice gestures thrown in?

William
This could be the missing final verse from Ice Cube's 'today was a good day'
Old 09-10-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
365 days a year: I think nice and/or uneventful rides happen way more than rides with incidents. Don't get me wrong, I have had my share of incidents and close calls, but percentage wise those are much lower. I would just rather talk about the good rides and nice gestures.

W.
Yeah. This is a nice change of pace(line).
Old 09-10-2019, 03:20 PM

This is because you are in Washington State and they are all stoned.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:22 PM

I've noticed that time of day can have a lot to do with the demeanor of folks you come into contact with while riding...I generally avoid riding during commuting hours during the week (for obvious reasons). However, I find weekday mid-mornings to often be one of the best times to ride in relation to the behaviors I observe in, and the reactions I receive from, motorists.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
This is because you are in Washington State and they are all stoned.
Well, judging from the amount of times I smell pot out there you could be onto something.

Quote:
I've noticed that time of day can have a lot to do with the demeanor of folks you come into contact with while riding...I generally avoid riding during commuting hours during the week (for obvious reasons). However, I find weekday mid-mornings to often be one of the best times to ride in relation to the behaviors I observe in, and the reactions I receive from, motorists.
Probably some truth to this, mid-morning rides during the week are generally pretty good.

Quote:
it's funny... i sometimes think we're as susceptible to confirmation bias as drivers are about us. a huge majority of the interactions i have with folks on foot, folks in cars, etc, are positive. the one or 2 a week that don't go so well, they definitely stick out, and i feel myself getting into the whole "all X are jerks" kinda thing. but i force myself to think about what a tiny tiny percentage they really account for.

today i had a driver "stuck" behind me for a good half-mile (it was unsafe for them to pass, so i took the lane). they waited patiently, and i gave them a wave as they passed -- and they passed with plenty of room.

i encountered a dog walker with the usual "trip-wire" setup across the path. i slowed down a bit, rang my bell and announced on your left. they were a bit startled (not much i was able to do about that), but they consolidated to one side of the trail and said "good morning". i replied with "enjoy your day".

i really feel like that's how most things go. i at least make a small/polite nod to everyone (whether in a car, on foot, with a dog -- if they're a person, i try to help them remember that i'm one too). the interactions are usually positive. i know it only takes one bad one to land you in the hospital, but i just usually feel like people don't really want to hurt other people.

maybe i'm naive/willfully ignorant, but it just never seems that bad out there to me (and i ride in and out of downtown denver and downtown dc all the time). but i'll go out there and say i had some nice gestures today... and i do everyday.

be safe everyone, and enjoy the ride!

If rides were miserable every time you went out then why would you keep doing it? Most rides are uneventful or good, it just the negative ride incidents that seem to get a lot of focus.

Embrace the positive man (It happens way more often)!!!

William
Old 09-10-2019, 04:10 PM

Awesome William

Quote:

William
On another cycling board we would do ride reports and post pictures, like people do here. In doing so I found myself leaving out a negative incident or two so as not to ruin the rest of the story about the ride.

It gave me perspective and you're right, in a three hour ride that one bad fifteen second or more encounter didn't outweigh the rest of the ride. And those good moments are what got me excited and back out there.

My wife would worry but I told her 99.9% of the drivers gave me plenty of room and like you, sometimes there would even be positive interactions.

I'm fortunate that my work is doing well and I'm busy but my bike riding mostly comprises of riding on my rollers of late. A fellow cyclist asked me last week if I missed it and I told him I really do. I've had some great rides over the years.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:13 PM

rides are a metaphor for life. anything can happen but you should enjoy it as much as possible and letting go of the negative is never a bad idea.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:46 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:

William

...and then you woke up.

But seriously, there's much more good than bad in the world and it's far too easy to fixate on the bad. More attention to the positives can help you lead a happier life.