Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbikerider View Post
I rode home first It was a long 10 miles.
How much of a risk of dying from that collapsed lung did you run? Goodgodalmighty...! steelbikerider indeed.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasfast View Post
1) Wash and scrub the grime from the wound (debridement). Perform this in a shower immediately and wash out the wound really well under running water, scrubbing gently with your finger tips or clean washcloth and soap. Municipal water is clean enough to irrigate your wounds.

2) If the wound is too painful to scrub, apply topical 4% lidocaine cream to the wound and take a Tylenol 15 minutes before your washing routine."
Good post.

You've got 15 min or so before the nerves in the area 'wake up', so to speak... so scrub the wound out using your water bottle if you must.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:26 AM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasfast View Post
8) Neosporin not recommended due to possible allergic reaction after long use. Use Xeroform dressing or Aquaphor.
Interesting. It looks like the neomycin is what causes the allergic reaction neosporin. I hadn't heard this before.

Topical ointments are only for short-term skin damage, so if the wound is deep and taking long to heal, something else is better.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
This is interesting. I've never had a tetanus shot in my life. (that I know of, I suppose I might have gotten one when I was a little kid)

Edit: CDC web site ( https://www.cdc.gov/tetanus/about/index.html )

Says there that there are about 30 reported cases per year in the US.
Get one. You really don't want to be one of those 30. A big component of the low numbers is due to the very good vaccine coverage for Td. You may have gotten it as a combination vaccine which protects against tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis but you still need 10yr boosters for Td.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
Good post.

You've got 15 min or so before the nerves in the area 'wake up', so to speak... so scrub the wound out using your water bottle if you must.
I remember yardsale-ing at a Madison practice CX race in grad school and removing a sizeable amount of skin from the right side of my body. Worst bits were on my palm elbow and hip.

Rode home one handed as a bloody mess and one gear (bent hanger). She was in med school at the time and patched me up about 2hrs after the crash. Scrubbing the rocks and dirt out of the wounds in the shower followed by betadine to clean them up before bandaging were WAY worse than the crash itself.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:38 AM

Nobody said anything about the collapsed lung until the x-rays. Then they stuck a tube in me and reinflated it- not a pleasant sensaion. But the road rash....

The cute nurse in the er did come by later to say that she was impressed that I rode home, but I'm happily married.

My 2nd worst crash in 40+years of racing/riding. At 60, I am starting to question the wisdom of continueing.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I had a crash over the weekend ending up with a broken collarbone, ribs and a collapsed lung. Before going to the emergency room, I cleaned up the road rash and put tegaderm over my hip, elbow, and shoulder scrapes so I wouldn't bleed all over my car and clothes.
WHAT?? You sir, get the award for the 'Hard Man' award for 2019..collapsed lung, broken bones, ride home..clean up then drive to ER??

Yeegads!!

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-11-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:23 PM

wow, kudoes from Old Spud, check another off of my bucket list

Doing better at home now.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:56 PM

You rode home?..

Dude, you’re a stud! After I T-boned a deer at full downhill speed, and somersaulted over the handlebars onto my head, I wimped out and called my wife to come get me... and I was a mere 3 miles from home!

Tegaderm helped heal the road rash on all my hard points- knees, elbows, shoulders, etc.

Hope you feel better soon!
Old 09-11-2019, 09:28 PM

Old 09-11-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbikerider View Post

My 2nd worst crash in 40+years of racing/riding. At 60, I am starting to question the wisdom of continueing.

I'm 63 and can confirm, there is no wisdom in continuing to crash. So don't do that anymore.

I'm still healing from a messed up ankle from a couple of months ago. We don't recover as quick as we used to.