Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-2019, 12:01 PM

I would take your doc's advice and hike the trails you enjoy on your bike. You can check back with the surgeon frequently to see if she might reduce the recommended time off the bike. It's possible her original recommendation had to be very conservative in case your recovery was sub-optimal but she might feel confidant about your rate of recovery after post-op check-ups if she understands how keen you are to become more active.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:07 PM

i think i understand the situation you're in. i also was a pretty heavy guy for most of my younger life (birth to about 23 years old, topping out at 270 lbs). i finally got my act together and managed to drop down to about 170, predominantly due to biking.

when life would get in the way (extended holiday absences, injuries, etc). it would cause pretty extreme anxiety in me. what if i started regaining the weight? what if when i got back on my bike, i didn't love it anymore? i'd like to say that these kinds of "panic events" happened just those first couple years, but i'd say they literally took the first 15 years into my transformation to calm.

the kind of "mental fatness" you may be suffering from can be really challenging. the best advice i can give you -- given how long you've been on the "right path" -- is to not panic. i've found over these past 23 years now that maybe i do put on a little weight sometimes -- but it comes back off. i get a little burned out on the bike -- but i maybe change my routine, and find the love again.

it takes a long time to see yourself in a different/new way. find ways to take pride in all the progress you've already made. these changes are REALLY hard, and most people don't make it. it sounds like you have, so the same inner strength that got you there will get you through this.

Last edited by kmac; 09-10-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:07 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Walking is terrific exercise. It is good to give the bicycle a nice rest.
How often does one see obese mail carriers that walk their whole route?
You will be fine with walking as your primary workout for a few weeks.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:19 PM

Back when I was younger broke my wrist and got a cast...doctor told me no riding...I rode anyhow with a cast...just propped up the arm on the old bar and rode with one hand...did fine! It's a pinky my man...
Old 09-10-2019, 12:28 PM

Lots of good advice already and when I've been injured and could not run or bike I would swim. However, I guess this is not an option here? I would either take a break or walk.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:05 PM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
spend quality time with other people.
+1 on that.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:23 PM

Walk a lot and at a 15-16 minute/mile pace and you won't really lose fitness. And besides, over two weeks off the bike, you won't lose much fitness to begin with, even if you didn't walk.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:11 PM

Good advice here, thanks. I think part of my sadness at being off the bike is we’re just heading into prime season in the south (I live in SC) where it will finally be getting below 5 billion degrees and 300% humidity, and my 9 year-old was really jamming on his bike when we were out riding. One of my thoughts before I went down was “We’re going to have an awesome fall riding together”... he’s my oldest, so this a big part of the whole “cycling family” dream coming to life but hopefully plenty of years of that left.

In the grand scheme I agree I need to suck it up, go easy on the sauce, and lace up my boots (the ones made for walking of course).