Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-2019, 11:27 AM

My mom was 36 when I was born but at her first prenatal appointment she was still 35. In those days, 35 was considered advanced maternal age and I believe the unkind term was elderly pregnancy. At least that's how her dr referred to it.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk540 View Post
My mom was 36 when I was born but at her first prenatal appointment she was still 35. In those days, 35 was considered advanced maternal age and I believe the unkind term was elderly pregnancy. At least that's how her dr referred to it.
The term for a while was "geriatric pregnancy", and has now switched to "advanced maternal age".

Because 35 year olds love to be referred to as "geriatric".
Old 09-10-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Congrats, man!!! Welcome to the "Late-in-Life Fatherhood Club." Your "bengay" cycling jersey is in the mail...
Here's hoping that my general fitness and work as a high school teacher have kept me as young as possible. I know I feel a lot younger, mentally and physically, than I remember of my dad when he was in his mid-forties.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Here's hoping that my general fitness and work as a high school teacher have kept me as young as possible. I know I feel a lot younger, mentally and physically, than I remember of my dad when he was in his mid-forties.

That's important....and as I mentioned in my earlier post, I think it's important for your child to see you in that light as well. I have an uncle who was born when my grandmother was 44 and grandfather was 50...That was in 1950, and was considered to be exceptionally problematic back then. I'm sure it was quite the surprise. My grandfather died when my uncle was 15. He was affected by his sickness and death and I know was quite worried about my grandmother passing and leaving him alone...I think he had a bit of a mortality complex of some sort.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
The term for a while was "geriatric pregnancy", and has now switched to "advanced maternal age".

Because 35 year olds love to be referred to as "geriatric".
Yes, geriatric pregnancy! I wanted an excuse to call mom so I didn't Google.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:58 PM

I was 50 when my daughter was born and now she is starting her 3rd year in college. So that makes me 70, still working more than full time and paying tuition/board. My retirement is taken care of and if she goes to grad school we should have that covered. But I'm slowing down and my epic rides are in the past. Be realistic about your future goals and your future financial commitments.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
...I know I feel a lot younger, mentally and physically, than I remember of my dad when he was in his mid-forties.

Love that one!
Old 09-10-2019, 01:06 PM

One other note as an older father...When you do things like volunteer to chaperone for a school field trip, you will notice that there is an unfortunate lack of male presence in the lives of many of the kids. As an older guy, you will be grandfatherly, no matter how youthful and athletic you may be for your age. You will be very "approachable" by the kids, which is great. It seems that I occupy some middle ground between adult and kid. Like I wrote earlier, we are having a great time...
Old 09-10-2019, 01:13 PM

Sorry to be the party pooper.....but guys it is not only about the father it is also about the children...

What would be also interesting is to have the feedback of guys who have much older father than the norm....Do they like it? Do they dislike it? Do they feel indifferent towards it? Etc....

Maybe some of these persons with older dads will write some post here.....
Old 09-10-2019, 02:36 PM

My sister had her SEVENTH kid at 46 and her husband was about 50. I mentioned this thread to her last night and she had nothing but good things to say about having kids at ANY age. All her kids are wonderful and joys to be around. I will make an obvious suggestion: just be sure you have PLENTY of insurance "just in case".
Old 09-10-2019, 03:29 PM

Just to add another interesting story to this mix. My grandmother was 32 when they had their first child and they had a total of 11

My grand father who was a Navy doctor came home from the war and well...
Old 09-10-2019, 04:33 PM

Thanks for all the replies and info on this subject. It's been great to read from other peoples experiences. It always surprises me with the response on OT subjects and is the reason I love this forum.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:28 PM

My long-time friend who was best man at our wedding married late to a younger woman. That was surprising in and of itself--and then she convinced him that they should start a family.

So he is my age, with two sons in high school. He has recently retired--but he has found the experience of being a father wonderful--although he was making jokes about the lack of sleep working much better if you were younger when they were toddlers.

The families that I know with the late baby (either afterthought or a blended family like yours have treasured them--and the kids get the benefit of the fact that the adults are much calmer than they were in their twenties!
Old 09-10-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Just to add another interesting story to this mix. My grandmother was 32 when they had their first child and they had a total of 11

My grand father who was a Navy doctor came home from the war and well...
Daaaayaaaaam.....

Last edited by HenryA; 09-10-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:26 PM
ZhugeLiang

Oldest: 22

Youngest: 6

I am 49.

When my six-year-old commands me to jump, I promptly reply "how high!?"

I would not have it any other way.

Last edited by weisan; 09-10-2019 at 07:31 PM.