Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2019, 03:11 PM

I have over 4 pairs of Zero's from over the year.

The ability to rebuild them is why I keep them around, but lately I've been having creaking issues. It's my right power stroke too... When I get out of the saddle I get a creak, and I suspect cleat wear. I'm going to buy a new pair of cleats and see if the creaking goes away.

It's so annoying that I'm thinking of trying the Look Keo Ti blades. I started riding on Time pedals, but I love the "Keep On" covers for Speedplays. I put 1-2 dabs of tubular glue so the covers stay on the cleats from the day I install them!
Old 09-09-2019, 03:59 PM
Randomhead

eventually you have to replace the bowties
Old 09-09-2019, 04:36 PM

I think speedplay pedals are great-
My only complaint is the cleats. I think they lack off the bike durability - otherwise so light and wonderful.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontague View Post
Another question. I am 6’5” and weigh in at about 210. Are there any issues using Speedplay given my weight - height should not matter, I suppose.
It would be prudent for you to avoid the titanium spindles which cost more $, save relatively few grams, and have a rider weight limit of 185#.

The stainless Zeros are excellent, as are the CrMo. But the CrMo spindles are painted black and can look bad (scratch, wear, rust) after a while which is not great given the initial cost and long-term material durability. Stainless is a great option imo. Set and forget.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontague View Post
Another question. I am 6’5” and weigh in at about 210. Are there any issues using Speedplay given my weight - height should not matter, I suppose.
Back in the day I raced on the X series (stainless steel axle), although my 6' 5" @ 220# didn't cause a problem my size 50 X-wide feet did. I was unable to get lollipop under the center of pressure in stock configuration, only options were to either replace cleats 4 - 5 times a year due to excessive rocking or buy longer spindles. It is nice that longer spindles are offered, but I reacted too late having worn the lollipops as well and just wasn't willing to spend the money for a full re-build or new pedals after having spent so much on cleats. I opted for a larger platform pedal.

They were my all-time favorite road pedal when new, unfortunately that performance went south too quickly.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:13 PM

Switched to X series about 17 years ago from Look’s original system. Immediately gained relief from tendinitis issues I’d been having in my knees for years. I’ve been on X series ever since.

I don’t care for the company’s business practices, but I do love the X series design. I purchase used/gray market off of eBay to maintain my fleet of pedals.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:47 PM

I've been on Xs for 20 years. I can't see changing. They've been very durable and something I don't need to think about.

Last edited by Hellgate; 09-09-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:16 PM

I've ridden the X-series pedals since the late 1990's. Having really bad knees, the free float favors me. I like the dual-sided entry also.

I have rebuilt several pairs, and replaced only parts (like the bowties or pedal bodies) too.

The thing that I ABSOLUTELY HATE about them is that I break cleat springs like it's my job. I break them about once every 2 months, if not sooner. I've saved them all for some reason and thought about mailing them back to Speedplay. I have dozens of them.

I rode them for years, took some time off of the bike, and when I returned around 2012, the breakages began. I can't recall having many, if at all, prior to that time.

I lube them before every ride, and use the torque wrench screwdriver from Speedplay. Still break them. I've tried not using both too - same result.

I have a brand new set of Zeroes in my stash and I intend to get them out and try them sometime this year. Hopefully the cleats prove more durable than the X-series stuff.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:59 PM

Speedplay on one bike. Frogs on my other couple of bikes. I like a bit of float and I need a bit longer length shafts due to the way my body is made.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:05 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
eventually you have to replace the bowties
Unfortunately, Zero 'bowties' aren't available as a part, pretty sure..I think the X series are..BUT you can get a rebuild kit for the 'puck'.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:31 AM

Zero used for 5+ years, defecting from Look. Got tired of Looks creaking and then tired of getting grease all over everything trynig to lube the creak away. A few caveats:
Like other have said:
  • Need to keep cleats clean. I use rubber cleat guards, even for short walks.
  • Dry lube is best. Very good luck with liquid wax lube, even at sub-freezing temps.
  • Took some time to learn how to clip in. Exiting is easy.
  • Even after all this time, no appreciable wear on pedal face (better than Look in this respect, which was my goal).
  • Broke one cleat spring once, from wear and tear.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:35 AM
50 bpm

When we went to the Giro two years ago the airline lost my bike and I had to use a loaner Wilier with Look Keos. I felt like I climbed much better (perhaps less wasted foot motion? ... the Wilier was stiffer than my 585?) but by the end of the trip my left knee was on fire.

I had used Looks before; the switch to Speedplay 20 years ago was for the same reason.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:42 AM
bourbon!

All this talk of people trying diff pedals and feeling more connected and wider platform, etc is making me want to try some Ultegra or Look pedals just to see the difference.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
All this talk of people trying diff pedals and feeling more connected and wider platform, etc is making me want to try some Ultegra or Look pedals just to see the difference.

After hearing the same thing here I did just that and I feel no difference at all. I think a stiff carbon sole makes the difference, my shoes are S works.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:03 AM
bourbon!

I've got Lake cx237. They are plenty stiff