Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
Then why do I see so many bikes that have been hacked on by either other 'mechanics' or especially their owners that think they know what they're doing?

Wrenching on cars is easy comparatively because things go in one way or not at all. The hard part is getting to the parts that need replacing.

Unlike cars, bikes require more than just bolting parts in. It requires feel and skill. Some have it. Some don't.

M
The same exact thing goes for an auto tech. The auto tech also needs significantly more knowledge...limited HVAC, electrical, precision assembly, full knowledge of how EVERYTHING works on a car to diagnose and troubleshoot the issue properly, especially on older cars...just to name a few, as well as FAR more special tools. Take a look at auto schooling vs what a bike mechanic would go through. This merely skims the surface...

It's laughable that one would think a bike tech should get comparable pay.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:40 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainNoise View Post
The same exact thing goes for an auto tech. The auto tech also needs significantly more knowledge...limited HVAC, electrical, precision assembly, full knowledge of how EVERYTHING works on a car to diagnose and troubleshoot the issue properly, especially on older cars...just to name a few, as well as FAR more special tools. Take a look at auto schooling vs what a bike mechanic would go through. This merely skims the surface...

Since I do both, I'll disagree. Takes the same kind of diagnostic skills as well as customer service skills that car techs frequently lack

So what do you think bike mechanics *should* make? Personally, I like to make a wage I can live on.

M
Old 09-10-2019, 06:56 PM

What is it that you do that is soooooo important? Before you belittle any more vocations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainNoise View Post

Old 09-10-2019, 08:08 PM

OK, so here is the final outcome.

Great job by Colonel’s Bike in Ft Worth, I brought the Peg and the headset in unannounced on a Tuesday afternoon and immediately was given the white glove treatment.

I took it to Colonel’s because I know they sell Moots and most of those seem to have CK headsets. They did a Great job and only charged me $40.

Also would like to recognize Cycles BiKile in PA which was where i finally was able to get the black D11 after a bit of a search. If you’re in the market for a Peg, I recommend talking to these guys.

As a side note, really surprised at how many comments this thread generated. Most of the comments were really insightful, I thought a lot about making a press myself and really appreciate those comments.

I think some should be more respectful of others opinions.

Thanks again.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msriddle View Post

Great job by Colonel’s Bike in Ft Worth, I brought the Peg and the headset in unannounced on a Tuesday afternoon and immediately was given the white glove treatment.

I took it to Colonel’s because I know they sell Moots and most of those seem to have CK headsets. They did a Great job and only charged me $40.

Also would like to recognize Cycles BiKile in PA which was where i finally was able to get the black D11 after a bit of a search. If you’re in the market for a Peg, I recommend talking to these guys.

As a side note, really surprised at how many comments this thread generated. Most of the comments were really insightful, I thought a lot about making a press myself and really appreciate those comments.

Thanks again.
three cheers!

Have fun
Old 09-10-2019, 08:39 PM

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainnoise View Post
it's laughable that one would think a bike tech should get comparable pay.
also laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
Wrenching on cars is easy comparatively because things go in one way or not at all. The hard part is getting to the parts that need replacing.
glad the OP found a shop that did the HS install to his satisfaction...now ride that peg like you stole it!

Last edited by wallymann; 09-11-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:08 PM

For any skill or profession - THIS:

https://blog.stockspot.com.au/wp-con...g-kruger-3.jpg
Old 09-10-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msriddle View Post

Thanks again.
I said 30 dollars.. anyone got closer ?
Old 09-10-2019, 10:32 PM

Classic paceline. 5 pages for a question of how much should a shop charge swap a headset...
Old 09-10-2019, 11:17 PM

Can we get to six?
Old 09-11-2019, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboucher View Post
Can we get to six?
Yes we can!
Old 09-11-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboucher View Post
Can we get to six?
I'll help.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:58 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Glad to learn this Pegoretti project seems to have been satisfied.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:09 AM

I’m new to this forum and a part of many other forums but this has to be the most pages of posts I’ve seen for a simple question.

I like it! 👍
Old 09-11-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3RRY View Post
I’m new to this forum and a part of many other forums but this has to be the most pages of posts I’ve seen for a simple question.

I like it! 👍
Overtihinking is sometimes the norm but this place is after all a great resource