Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2019, 07:25 AM

Thanks for all the guidance. I’ve long since done most of my own wrenching for numerous reasons.

This is a bare Pegoretti frame that requires a King D11 headset. So trying to buy that from a shop is a waste of everyone’s time. I don’t own headset tools but was just trying to determine if I was better buying the tools for ~$100 and likely never using them again.

Seems like if I walk in with the frame it would be a $45-$60 procedure.

Wish me luck...
Old 09-08-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
A little less (mmm, 15% less) than it costs you to buy the tools and do it yourself.
I don’t know, headset tools are going to run you several hundred $$ for the proper out and in. OP, are you just bringing in a frame to have them install cups? If so, you may get away with a home headset cup installer from park. I would only bring a sixer to a volunteer effort.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msriddle View Post

This is a bare Pegoretti frame.
Don't mess it up either way!
Old 09-08-2019, 08:13 AM

Diy

I’m surprised no one has mentioned making your own headset press. A quick web search will show many pages detailing how to make a headset press with hardware store parts. I made mine 20+ years ago. It has worked perfectly and its use has expanded to include press-fit bottom brackets and BB30 bearings.

Greg
Old 09-08-2019, 08:18 AM
Administrator

very regional and shop specific. i would not, for example, expect the same price from a high end road bike shop in NYC or SF as a mid range shop in the middle of North Dakota.

for a new pegoretti frame, i would either do it myself or make damned sure that the shop understands what they are working with and that sloppy work and/or frame scratches are not acceptable in this case.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:23 AM

Headset tools are something I don't own because.... King.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:48 AM

You should have given the shop the chance to first try and order the correct headset. You could have told them the frame needs a D11 and to order it directly from Pegoretti; put it in writing to keep them accountable.

As tuscanyswe mentioned, too many times the customer buys the wrong part, then expects the shop to install it, causing business and customer service complications.

The shop should be able to provide an accurate quote for install labor.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:48 AM

Sold without headset, sounds like a trashed out frame. Send it my way for good wall art :-)
Old 09-08-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
I’m surprised no one has mentioned making your own headset press. A quick web search will show many pages detailing how to make a headset press with hardware store parts. I made mine 20+ years ago. It has worked perfectly and its use has expanded to include press-fit bottom brackets and BB30 bearings.

Greg
Headset press is just one of the many specialized tools you’ll need, though. As the OP mentioned doing a swap, both sides of the operation are needed. It adds up fast!

-Headset cup press
-Headset cup remover (different sizes for 1”, 1 1/8”, larger bottom cups)
-crown race setter
-crown race puller
-star nut setter (for steel/alloy steerers)

Literally hundreds of dollars in tools you’ll probably only use a few times. This also presumes the frame’s headtube doesn’t need a facing.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Do you know how many customers asks 100 questions and then decide not to do that headset install after all. Or brings you the wrong headset for the fork and or frame. Or just have old stuff that dont work and then thinks you have done a poor job etc etc

20 for headset replacement is super cheap and not available anywhere around these parts at least.
Maybe is a regional thing as Angry suggests. I had this done last spring on a new frame and fork. Took less than 10 minutes at a shop that I dont think posts hourly rates. Pretty sure I would have remembered if it was more than $25.

Edit: I missed the "swapping" part in the OP. My remarks are just about install.

Last edited by marciero; 09-08-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:16 AM

If it's a good shop, it's worth whatever they charge. $50-$100? Fine.

Compare that vs. how much it'll cost you if you ham fist it.

Headset install is one thing I never mess with.

p.s. yeah for a Pegoretti, I'd ask them first if they know what it is. If they don't, keep trying until someone gets it. Or at minimum, ask them if they REGULARLY work on steel frames and have all the right tools (presses, facing, etc.). I have a vintage steel frame with a King headset also, but had the luxury of knowing that the LBS was top notch.

Last edited by 54ny77; 09-08-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:17 AM
Everything is connected

For a built-up bike, my LBS recently charged me $30 to pull an old HS and install a new HS (1” threaded if that means anything)...facing was not required. I didn’t know what he would charge when I brought the bike in...he’s done work for me in the past and he’s always treated me very fairly.

Last edited by rwsaunders; 09-08-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Maybe is a regional thing as Angry suggests. I had this done last spring on a new frame and fork. Took less than 10 minutes at a shop that I dont think posts hourly rates. Pretty sure I would have remembered if it was more than $25.

Edit: I missed the "swapping" part in the OP. My remarks are just about install.
Yes that is likely correct. Rent and generally everything beeing more expensive in certain areas will surely effect prices.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
for a new pegoretti frame, i would either do it myself or make damned sure that the shop understands what they are working with and that sloppy work and/or frame scratches are not acceptable in this case.
Or you could not be condescending and hand them your stuff and trust them. How about just walk into the shop with a small repair, don’t be that guy that tells them how to do their job. If all goes well, take them more work.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiclistiCliff View Post
Or you could not be condescending and hand them your stuff and trust them. How about just walk into the shop with a small repair, don’t be that guy that tells them how to do their job. If all goes well, take them more work.
It's worth asking. There are a dozen shops in Portland I wouldn't think twice about taking it to no questions asked - and twice that where I'd want to meet the mechanic first...

I was a 17-yr old shop-monkey at one point, and the head mechanic oversaw most of what I did, but there were days where we were busy and I just did what came in......I imagine that still happens. And it's not condescending to ask if they are comfortable - all in how you say it.

I took an Argonaut frame in to a well-respected shop to have a CK T47 BB pulled.......they brought it back to the checkout counter with half the employees in the shop looking at it. "That's the coolest frame I've ever seen, no charge - thanks for bringing it by....." I spend money there, but didn't know the mechanic or the rest of the staff well enough to warrant the favor. They do enough business to be able to do that sort of thing.

There's another shop, much smaller, I take work to because the mechanic/owner is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet and takes a lot of pride in his work. I always feel like he undercharges me for what he does, so I always over-tip at the counter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by Clean39T; 09-08-2019 at 11:48 AM.