Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2019, 06:58 PM

i prefer a shiny Nitto post, not sanding that down.

Last edited by grateful; 09-04-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:34 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
you could try the flex hone, but if it's really that tight, you could also just try a 27.0 post and see if that's too loose.
seems to me that scratching suggests the clearance is okay, the bore just needs to be shined up a little. Too bad the OP isn't nearby, I would let him use my flex hone. They aren't really that expensive. But I'm a little curious how a builder would let this go without fitting a seatpost.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
But I'm a little curious how a builder would let this go without fitting a seatpost.
Here's one possibility-

From using their reference (seatpost, go/no go gauge, whatever) for hundreds, if not thousands of frames, its O.D. has become worn and undersized.

It pays to check your tools occasionally.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful View Post
I have two titanium frames that both take a 27.2 seat post. One frame is very tight to the point of scratching the post in a manner that is unacceptable. Do I have any options to increase the diameter of the seat tube? It should not take much as the post is able to be installed.
Take a flexhone to it..particularly if the post is getting scratched..might be a burr where the seat stays connect to tube.
And for right below..that seattube pst flexhone gets HOT...so watch that...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-05-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:28 AM
Randomhead

btw, a 1 1/8" flex hone works for 27.2mm posts. It's a little annoying to insert. the first couple of times
Old 09-05-2019, 08:29 AM

Just to be pedantic:

Reaming is an operation performed after drilling a hole in a work piece. This is done to remove the slight irregularity in the drilled hole and making it perfectly round.

Honing is a surface finishing operation that gives very smooth inner surface usually required for frictionless relative motion between two parts.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:45 AM

I have this issue with my All City Space Horse... it's steel & I have a Specialized Carbon post in it... it's one of those Carbon posts with the leaf spring shock mechanism in it.

I haven't sanded the post.. but I'd much rather sand the post than mess with an expensive frame. Custom Ti frame is probably > $3000 and you'd rather mess with that than a Post that cost $100-200?

If it's a carbon post who the heck cares, it's going to get scratched/polished within one season if you attach a tool bag to the saddle. You ought to be able to lightly sand the post *below the insertion point* and you'll never see the scratches.

In my case I 100% don't think it's a frame problem, because I have put numerous other posts in that frame and none of the others had the issue... the Specialized post is the one that is slightly larger than it's supposed to be.

I got the post set where it needs to be and don't mess with it... so I am not doing anything about it. But it's quite hard to adjust if I actually needed to.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:49 AM
cmg

It could be that the seat post is slightly larger than 27.2. Campy posts are closer to 27.3 for example. Ream the seat tube, doesn't sound like you'll need to take off very much material.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Reaming is an operation performed after drilling a hole in a work piece. This is done to remove the slight irregularity in the drilled hole and making it perfectly round.
it's also what's done to seat tubes after welding twists the metal out of round.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:43 AM

Would your average shop be capable of this surgery?
Old 09-05-2019, 11:12 AM
'97 Ti Legend

I had a ti frame from a well known frame builder that did the same thing. Although some 27.2 posts would go in, the Moots I wanted to use and a Thomson I had around would not. The builder offered to hone it himself if I wanted to ship (mind you I bought the frame second hand) but suggested I have a local shop to it. He spoke directly to one of their mechanics and it was dealt with in about 15 minutes of waiting. Perfect fit.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:18 AM
Randomhead

I'm not sure what the point of pedantry is regarding this subject. A hone removes a lot less material and is significantly less likely to cut through a tube. But it sounds like that's what is needed here, not reaming. And a hone works a lot better in a tube with a slot cut in it.

I'm pretty sure there are shops that have reamers that have no business having a reamer. Do you know if the seat tube is externally butted or has a welded seat collar on it? https://www.paragonmachineworks.com/...s.html?cat=197

A seat collar is much less likely to be distorted, but also has a lot more thickness so reaming would be safer. You can tell by looking for a weld a couple of inches from the top of the seat tube.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:01 PM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
btw, a 1 1/8" flex hone works for 27.2mm posts. It's a little annoying to insert. the first couple of times
What grit do you recommend? They have 120, 180, 240, 320, 600, and 800. I was going to guess 320, as I have a seat tube to clean up.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:31 PM
Randomhead

I have a 240 grit. Not sure if that's the best one or not. It leaves a nice smooth surface on steel. Depending on the defects you want to remove, I don't think you will be particularly happy with 320 grit. I might get another that is coarser. It doesn't remove much material
Old 09-05-2019, 02:25 PM

The frame is made by Moots and has an integrated seat binder welded in place. It sounds to me like honing is the way to go. I don't think it would take much but I don't want to remove material if possible.