Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-06-2019, 07:45 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigoat View Post
A chain or a belt should not make a difference in principle. In fact, a belt system might be easier to do with a regular dropout, as it is more forgiving to tension than a chain. You will need to find a builder that can make the chainstay precisely to match the required tension and gear ratio.
In my experience, belts were way more finicky than chains. You had to get the belt tight, but not too tight. Chains are more forgiving.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigoat View Post
If the goal is to build a custom single speed frame then I would have one built precisely for a specific single speed gear ratio with a regular dropout. It can be done as I have a few of them.
This is crazy, I spent a few years racing SSmtb and SSCX and quite frequently changed my gearing depending on the course. Why would you WANT to limit a bike to the same gearing all the time?

Even more importantly there is ALWAYS this (unless you like to spend $$$ on new chains all.the.time.):
Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Even if they could get the C.S. exactly right, it won’t work very well. Chains stretch. I converted one years ago. 33x17 was the right combo. Chain was very tight (almost too tight). By 300 miles, it was flopping around all over the place. Then started experiencing drops.

Plus it pigeonholes you to one gear ratio. I wouldn’t recommend it.
I know folks who SS are crazy (I'm one of them) but unless I'm riding the same terrain all the time (BORING) a bike with only one gear ratio option all the time would suck for me at least...
Old 09-06-2019, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Once again i have learnt what i need to know from here, i think..

I will just go for a regular frame with flat mounts and just forget about sliding dropouts and belt. Would be fun to try but the costs and perhaps more importantly that i dont think its pleasing to the eyes, has let me to go with just a regular frame for gears this time .)

Cheers
B
Old 09-06-2019, 09:45 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. Once again i have learnt what i need to know from here, i think..

I will just go for a regular frame with flat mounts and just forget about sliding dropouts and belt. Would be fun to try but the costs and perhaps more importantly that i dont think its pleasing to the eyes, has let me to go with just a regular frame for gears this time .)

Cheers
B
You can always have your local framebuilder weld on some track ends to your "regular" frame. Aside from EBB, I think this looks very clean as well. Probably would cost $100.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
You can always have your local framebuilder weld on some track ends to your "regular" frame. Aside from EBB, I think this looks very clean as well. Probably would cost $100.

Yes i like that, its clean.

Im getting a new titanium frame and was considering the sliding dropouts for that but yeah to many uncertainties and draw backs for me to gamble with me liking them on a new frame. Like you say perhaps test the waters on something cheaper first and then incorporate into a future custom if i really like it.

I often want a lot of things but then i rarely go for them as its almost always to many compromises. I generally dont like compromises i guess .)
Old 09-06-2019, 02:45 PM
Yours truly

It seems like there is a lot of clueless posts here. Attached pic is one of my single speed bikes with a regular dropout. There are at least 3 ideal gear inches that I can choose to work with this frame on top of several other less ideal (either lower or higher gear in). This bike probably has more than 20,000 miles as a single speed. The KMC K810 SL chain as shown can last more than 6,000 miles so it is better than any of the multi-speed chains I have used before. I have never dropped a chain on this bike. Isn't that cool to have a single speed bike without a tensioner?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg single-speed.jpg (98.4 KB, 37 views)