Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrew View Post
I like to spray soapy water or Simple Green between the tire bead and the rim before seating it (using a compressor).
the soapy water is key. I actually carry a small spritzer bottle on my rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda View Post
mounted a new set of tubeless yesterday.

The rear went on text book. I should have made a youtube. lol. Seriously though it was seated filled and capped in ~15 minutes.

The front was a different story. I couldnt get the bead up on the rim shelf. After 3 tries and some of my favorite encouraging words I decided to punt. I installed a tube blew it up, the tire seated instantly. Took the tube out reseated it (instantly) then sealed, stemmed it and filled it up to high pressure setting.

When I'm not anxious to get to the tubeless point I generally will do a ride or let the tires sit with tubes in them filled to the highest pressure. This seems to get the rubber more compliant.
this part is also key in certain situations
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I have never been able to get tubeless to work with just my pump. Just does not work. I have one of those specialized air shot things and even with those, I ALWAYS have to put a tube, pump to seat 1 bead, then take tube out and then use the spesh pump thing and has worked 95% of the time. I only put sealant after the tire is seated, never made a mess but I certainly have cursed at it.
ditto

sprang $130 ish for a pump with an inflating chamber, which basically means filling the chamber up to 230 psi (royal PITA) and then having that seat the tire. Has mostly worked with installation of road tires
Old 09-04-2019, 05:52 PM

I1. Remove the tire from packaging and let it relax-overnight or use the tube method. Tube method also helps seat Stan’s tape overnight.
2. If you must mount immediately, get the tire warmed up in the hot sun or leave it in the trunk or even the oven or use a hair dryer
Also, be sure the tire bead is sitting in the rim center channel.
3. Remove the valve core before pumping up.
4. I add sealant and swish it around and then pump it.
These steps have helped me immensely- as well as the soapy water spray around the beads when air is escaping- it’s just enough resistance to keep air in the tire.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:23 PM

is the common consensus that most mountain bike tires can be seated with a regular floor pump as long as I remove the valve core?

Or should I go put a dollar in the machine at the gas station?
Old 09-05-2019, 05:41 AM

Also consider building up your rim bed with an extra layer of tape to get a better fit before inflating. Might not even need a compressor or fancy pump...

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by GeorgiaOcean; 09-05-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:29 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
is the common consensus that most mountain bike tires can be seated with a regular floor pump as long as I remove the valve core?

you would be extremely lucky if that's the case. And the machine at the gas station probably doesn't deliver air fast enough
Old 09-05-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
you would be extremely lucky if that's the case. And the machine at the gas station probably doesn't deliver air fast enough
Hmm well hopefully ill be giving it a shot tonight and will post my update here!
Old 09-05-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post

I managed that once in six tries.

Don't think air moves fast enough from the gas station pump.

I pull the valve and just hold a compressed air nozzle in line with the stem. Give a blast and they pop into place.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:26 PM

If you are running tubeless tires I might recommend picking up one of these Airshot (or similar) tubeless inflators. The quick blast of air is very effective and has taken a lot of the stress out of seating tubeless tires. It has worked for me when a compressor did not. You're in SLO and welcome to borrow mine anytime!

Old 09-06-2019, 07:23 AM

I have had a lot of luck with CO2 compressed air canisters. Not the greenest approach, but works in a pinch (pun not intended).
Old 09-06-2019, 01:43 PM
Descent fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspreston View Post
If you are running tubeless tires I might recommend picking up one of these Airshot (or similar) tubeless inflators. The quick blast of air is very effective and has taken a lot of the stress out of seating tubeless tires. It has worked for me when a compressor did not. You're in SLO and welcome to borrow mine anytime!
Thank you!
Maybe next time.