Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2019, 06:43 PM
Descent fitness

Tubeless mounting hapless learning curve.

As a follow-up to my recent thread asking for advice on tubed versus tubeless tires for mixed riding, I decided to go with the tubeless camp and mount some 38C Gravelkings onto my Light Bicycles carbon rims. I have been running tubeless on my MTB, and although I usually make a mess mounting then, they are great to ride on.
The messy learning curve continued today. Tire one was mounted dry onto the tubeless ready rim and despite taking out the valve stem core, then inflating with 80+ psi directly from my compressor, I could get not get the tire to seat. I then thought “Gee, what if I just stuck the sealant in now and use it to seat the tire?”
The result is photo one: big ol’ mess, bubbling, spattered orange seal, and creative cursing. I think about half of it leaked out. I then flashed back to those who have recently written that they could mount their tires with a hand pump and I wanted to call BS. It took 15 minutes, and I was dripping sweat. It’s mpossible!
Then came the second tire, I was prepared for more unpleasantness, but this time I took a little orange seal and ran it around the rim with my finger. I then did the same at the tire beads before I mounted the tire. Pulled the valve core out, and inflated easily with my compressor. No muss, no fuss. 1 min tops.
I think getting everything wet was the key...allowed a lot easier sliding and seating.
Although I’m not exactly in the “breath of angels will inflate your tires with no effort“ camp, I can at least see it gets easier with repetition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5CF58BB2-AE4E-43F9-89E8-A2847C67B909.jpg (152.0 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg 4B3ACB98-5BB5-44D1-9004-2E757C4C597A.jpg (148.1 KB, 288 views)
Old 09-03-2019, 07:04 PM
shimergo

I like to spray soapy water or Simple Green between the tire bead and the rim before seating it (using a compressor).
Old 09-03-2019, 08:02 PM

mounted a new set of tubeless yesterday.

The rear went on text book. I should have made a youtube. lol. Seriously though it was seated filled and capped in ~15 minutes.

The front was a different story. I couldnt get the bead up on the rim shelf. After 3 tries and some of my favorite encouraging words I decided to punt. I installed a tube blew it up, the tire seated instantly. Took the tube out reseated it (instantly) then sealed, stemmed it and filled it up to high pressure setting.

When I'm not anxious to get to the tubeless point I generally will do a ride or let the tires sit with tubes in them filled to the highest pressure. This seems to get the rubber more compliant.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:03 PM
aka RAEKWON

I have never been able to get tubeless to work with just my pump. Just does not work. I have one of those specialized air shot things and even with those, I ALWAYS have to put a tube, pump to seat 1 bead, then take tube out and then use the spesh pump thing and has worked 95% of the time. I only put sealant after the tire is seated, never made a mess but I certainly have cursed at it.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:39 PM
Randomhead

I am a relative newbie to tubeless tires. My GKs mounted just fine with a floor pump. I also have mounted tubeless tires on my mtb with just a floor pump. Then I bought some Maxxis velocita 40mm tires and couldn't get them to seat, not even with my compressor. My LBS recommended a blow gun. I got this one from HD, they have a similar one from Lowes (don't tell Park, it is blue). I had to blacksmith the end of the tube a little to make it fit in the valve stem a little better. Tires popped right on.

I put the sealant in with a large Luer lock syringe without a needle. Fits perfectly in a presta valve stem.

Last edited by unterhausen; 09-03-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:42 PM

going to be going tubeless on my mtn bike finally in a week or so. ive been procrastinating all summer because of how much of a PITA it sounds like. So now ill likely only get a handful of rides in on it before the trails get all nasty around here.

Then next season will need to do it all again when this sealant dries out
Old 09-03-2019, 10:08 PM
Descent fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post

I put the sealant in with a large Luer lock syringe without a needle. Fits perfectly in a presta valve stem.
This is good information for those of us who have access to this sort of equipment.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:29 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Dont put sealant in until you know the wheels/tires hold air first.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:50 PM
Descent fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Dont put sealant in until you know the wheels/tires hold air first.
Where were you 5 hours ago?!?
Old 09-04-2019, 04:24 AM

Cool Stop Tire Bead Jack has been helpful to me for pulling Panaracer GKs onto tight rims.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:43 AM

I've been running tubeless on my mountain bikes for several years....a lot of trial and error, to say the least, but worth it.
More-recently, purchased a Canyon gravel bike which came "tubed", but rims already taped and stems included....about as easy a conversion as I've experienced, but one thing I've noticed is that I lose a lot more air pressure overnight. Now I've tried a few more tires and all combinations still lose quite a bit of air. By a lot, I mean 4-5 psi, where my mountain bike tires may lose 1 psi. Regardless, I check and adjust my tire pressure prior to every ride.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:55 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SLO View Post
This is good information for those of us who have access to this sort of equipment.
everyone has access to these syringes. The reason I have them is that I had a consulting job where I needed to apply large quantities of super glue. https://www.mcmaster.com/luer-lock-syringes
Needles are also available from Mcmaster, but you don't want those for sealant. If you have to apply super glue, I recommend a large bore needle. These needles have a flat end, not useful for injections.

Amazon has them too. I didn't search too far, but here's one listing https://www.amazon.com/Syringes-14Gx.../dp/B07C2QSN6K
Old 09-04-2019, 07:58 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
everyone has access to these syringes. The reason I have them is that I had a consulting job where I needed to apply large quantities of super glue. https://www.mcmaster.com/luer-lock-syringes
Needles are also available from Mcmaster, but you don't want those for sealant. If you have to apply super glue, I recommend a large bore needle. These needles have a flat end, not useful for injections.

Amazon has them too. I didn't search too far, but here's one listing https://www.amazon.com/Syringes-14Gx.../dp/B07C2QSN6K
I wonder how those dispensing guns would work for tubular glue...

M
Old 09-04-2019, 08:08 AM
Randomhead

might be okay, but I think tubular glue is a bit viscous. And would be a one-time use.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:08 AM

Sometimes it's just the specific tire and rim combo and no amount of technique is going to make it any easier. Had a guy in the shop this summer that wanted a fresh set of tubeless tires installed on his 29er and picked out some WTB Nano's. For whatever reason - this rim and tire combo was nearly impossible to mount. Took me 30 minutes to get the font on (even with all the speciality tools out there at our disposal) and the rear was so tight it took 3 of us to roll the bead over. Almost 90min total for the install. Next day a different guy stops in for a tubeless install on a set of 27.5s. Both pop on with no fuss, 15min total.