Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-02-2019, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Well it looks like we dodged a bullet here in the Central Florida Coast...assuming the forecasters are correct. Let's hope this thing stays offshore for the rest of the East Coast. My heart goes out to those in the Bahamas -- this thing has been just sitting on them for what I'm sure seemed like an eternity.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:42 AM

Yeah it's looking pretty bad in the Bahama's. A cat 5 storm with 220 winds hovering over a small island. It's like a giant tornado at that point. My fear is it will make Puerto Rico look like a spring shower.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:26 PM

Looks like she will scrape the coastline... GA, SC, NC...
Old 09-04-2019, 07:31 PM

Fortunately, Bahamas are close to Florida so staging will be easier than PR (which is also much larger). Nice people there, hope investment is done to rebuild and they are no just left with no future.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:44 PM

Bahama's are destroyed. The cleanup will be an immense undertaking - much less rebuilding. I feel for all involved. At least they have good ports.

My department has deployed special ops personnel with our regional FEMA teams to Florida. As of right now, they are staging with plenty of resources to manage emergencies all along the east coast. Maryland has put together plans to send strike teams of medical crews with transportation if additional needs are required. I believe other states are also doing similar planning, all under FEMA's overall guidance. Unfortunately, helping the Bahama's is far more complicated. I wish there was an easy way to wave a wand and get the help to those in need, but that isn't how it works. I do know intelligent and caring people are working diligently on plans to help - as soon as they get the word they can... and there is a means to get it there. Remember - All help needs to be completely self supporting or it isn't help, it is a burden. In the mean time, let's all take some time to appreciate the overall massive needs that the Bahama's will have... not just in the next few days, but weeks to years to come. I plan on taking a vacation there as soon as I can because they will NEED that tourism income. Desperately. Well, back to work...
Old 09-05-2019, 05:25 AM

thx for that detailed update.

I was only thinking, niavely, of the proximity to US shores. And yes, like those beautiful countries hit 2 years ago (Anguilla is special in my heart) they need ongoing support of the international communities.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:10 PM
Administrator

seeing some images roll in. i hope all of our paceline family is doing OK and are managing this disaster. weather related catastrophes are so difficult to endure, since we can't control what's going on. hang in there for those effected. reach out of there is anything the rest of us can do to help.