Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2019, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrcr View Post

It’s almost like they were shopping for what they need for themselves. Probably even users on here. Sad.
I get that you're upset, and i would be too, but there is no need to make baseless accusations and insult the very people you are asking for help.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:57 PM

Definitely had no intention to offend. Just calling out the fact that it’s a public forum and what we post on here can easily be picked up and targeted. Probably didn’t come off right since it’s only been 3 hours since I discovered the bikes stolen.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:12 PM
PegoNagos

I have heard about thieves using Strava in this manner - which is why it's a good idea to use Privacy Zones in Strava - it hides you start/finish spot so people don't see your sweet bike pics and then know exactly where your house is.

This is how you do that:
https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...-Privacy-Zones
Old 08-28-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
It’s almost like they were shopping for what they need for themselves. Probably even users on here. Sad.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Definitely had no intention to offend. Just calling out the fact that it’s a public forum and what we post on here can easily be picked up and targeted. Probably didn’t come off right since it’s only been 3 hours since I discovered the bikes stolen.
no problem, i totally understand. steam would be coming out of my ears if i were you. i really do wish you the best.

with respect to the theft itself, i think it's a good wake-up call for all of us to be more vigilant. craig gaulzetti for example, had one of his bikes stolen in broad daylight not too long ago. it was recovered in a rather remarkable way, but it sure sounds like someone was "casing" him and waiting for just the right opportunity to swoop in and steal something.

i think some of us might be surprised to lean who is watching us for what we have. it's a disgusting thought, but evil is all around.

stay safe guys.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:37 PM

Really sorry to hear this Ryan. Unfortunately, the problem is widespread. Two of my best friends got their bikes (including a Potts) ripped off from their garages. Whomever is doing this clearly knows what they are looking for, and are scouting/surveying the area.

My solution: I moved my bike(s) out of my partner's house in the East Bay hills from the garage. It is now in my apartment. Up four flights of stairs. Locked in a closet. Locked inside of the closet to a 75 lb medicine ball rack.

Bummer...

Regarding thieves casing you... it’s almost like when you get home with anything expensive... you have to keep an eye out for who’s around. Not just bicycles.

With the opioid and speed epidemic... it’s worse than ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
no problem, i totally understand. steam would be coming out of my ears if i were you. i really do wish you the best.

with respect to the theft itself, i think it's a good wake-up call for all of us to be more vigilant. craig gaulzetti for example, had one of his bikes stolen in broad daylight not too long ago. it was recovered in a rather remarkable way, but it sure sounds like someone was "casing" him and waiting for just the right opportunity to swoop in and steal something.

i think some of us might be surprised to lean who is watching us for what we have. it's a disgusting thought, but evil is all around.

stay safe guys.
insurance is a wonderful thing.

i'll keep an eye on the bike chop shop in front of my office. they don't seem to deal in the high-zoot ****, though.

follow https://twitter.com/SFbikebandits, he bounces around the bayview chopshops a bit snapping photos. if it's nice though, they tend to keep it out of eyesight.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
insurance is a wonderful thing.

i'll keep an eye on the bike chop shop in front of my office. they don't seem to deal in the high-zoot ****, though.

follow https://twitter.com/SFbikebandits, he bounces around the bayview chopshops a bit snapping photos. if it's nice though, they tend to keep it out of eyesight.
Exactly... I bet they either part them out and/or just post them on Craigslist in neighboring cities. Searchtempest is a good tool to keep an eye out for that. Isn’t there a bike shop hotline for stolen bikes too?
Old 08-28-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende View Post
Exactly... I bet they either part them out and/or just post them on Craigslist in neighboring cities. Searchtempest is a good tool to keep an eye out for that. Isn’t there a bike shop hotline for stolen bikes too?
yeah, most gets funneled out of town. one of the mosaics we sold at AC ended up on eBay in LA several months later with a different build and bizarre paintjob.

Last edited by Heisenberg; 08-28-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
My solution: I moved my bike(s) out of my partner's house in the East Bay hills from the garage. It is now in my apartment. Up four flights of stairs. Locked in a closet. Locked inside of the closet to a 75 lb medicine ball rack.
This would pretty much guaranty that I would never ride.

To the OP - hope this gets resolved to your liking in terms of replacement bikes/find them. The thing that would bother me more than the bikes itself, is the feeling of being cased and not having a secure home (includes the garage).
Old 08-28-2019, 02:15 PM

Thank you everyone. In addition to the bikes, the small parts they grabbed clearly tells me they are cyclists and not just some kid looking to make a quick buck. This part really bums me out.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:20 PM

Sorry for your loss.

Doesn't Mark Zuckerberg live in the Presidio?

Last edited by m4rk540; 08-29-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:28 PM

They weren't looking for a Huffy. I remember reading about high end bike thieves that would target riders not to sell entire bikes but chop them into parts. My guess is Craigslist and Ebay. Hopefully these guys are not too bright and you get your bikes back.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:32 PM

Let us know any distinctive scratch, scrapes or any marks in general because most of us here look for bike parts on ebay, craigslist, fb marketplace almost every day. TBH this is a thief that will get caught in no time because they can't use all 3 bikes for themselves so they have to sell it through the internet one way or another and they can't sell them in cash unless to a pawn shop. call your local pawns and have them keep an eye on them too because pawn shops don't get these high end bikes a lot usually. This guy will be the easiest thief to catch.