Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2019, 12:03 PM

Commuter pedals - Time Link - are they a good idea?

I use Time ATAC pedals. Lately, I have been riding in my work shoes (short commute) and standing on the clipless pedals can be pretty annoying. I noticed that Time makes a one-sided MTB pedal for exactly this purpose - the other side is a platform for street shoes.

I always thought these looked dumb and were 'non-committal', but I am thinking that these aren't such a terrible idea after all. I know that Shimano makes a popular pair of pedals like these.

Has anyone used Time Link pedals and if so, are they good quality, like other Time MTB pedals?

Alternatively, I have seen these 'Deckster' Problem Solvers platforms that clip onto regular pedals, creating a platform. Anyone ever used these ones?
Old 08-27-2019, 12:29 PM

How do these pedals work, in regard to stepping on the 'correct' side of the pedal? Most pedals are either dual sided (most MTB pedals, Speedplay road pedals, block pedals, etc.), or have their weight balanced so they always rotate to a standard orientation when unclipped (Look, Time, quill pedals with toe clips, etc.) With asymmetric pedals (like the Time Link), are you always flipping the pedals back and forth with your toes to get the correct side up?
Old 08-27-2019, 12:33 PM

I've also been considering these and have seen good reviews.
I do have the Shimano A530 pedals which are platform on one side and SPD on the other.
I got so used to riding the platform side that I basically stopped using SPD shoes when commuting as I found not much benefit to having cleats when just commuting to go pick something up or even going to work. Not much climbing where I am either so I didn't need cleats to help with a hill.

I also commute slow now so as not to be drenched in sweat at my destination, so again, less need for cleats.

If you can find a pair for a good price I'd say go for it.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:37 PM

I had the Crank Bros version of this (Doubleshot) on my townie/commuter/kid hauler for a while. At least on mine, you are constantly searching for the correct side of the pedal. This was super annoying in clipless when I was used to instant double-sided clip-in with Candies. On the flat side, the very small and non-removable "pins" didn't make for the best grip. Eventually, I realized that 90% of the use of that bike was with flat shoes, so I put some RaceFace Chesters on there.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:44 PM

I've used the Shimano A530 pedals quite a bit.. they can get slick when wet and with certain flat shoe types don't work the best.

I had them on my CX bike after I was tired of swapping flats (commuting) for clips (actual riding). Eventually I found I had the worst of both worlds.. flats that did not grip, and clips that were sometimes upside down.

I've been meaning to do this mod to my A530s which I think would fix the grip issues:
https://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain...ns-832551.html
Old 08-27-2019, 01:32 PM

From my experience dual purpose pedals didnt work the best. Depends on the design I guess but the heavy side will always be facing down which usually means the clipless side that makes it near useless in normal use. Just get platforms and call it a day.

Also those clip in platforms work fine for occasional use but can be squirrelly and slick.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopes View Post
I've used the Shimano A530 pedals quite a bit.. they can get slick when wet and with certain flat shoe types don't work the best.

I had them on my CX bike after I was tired of swapping flats (commuting) for clips (actual riding). Eventually I found I had the worst of both worlds.. flats that did not grip, and clips that were sometimes upside down.

I've been meaning to do this mod to my A530s which I think would fix the grip issues:
https://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain...ns-832551.html
I have the new Shimano EH500 pedals that have pins for grip.

The pedal stays where you flip it ie if you're on the flat and get off, it doesn't rotate down. Not sure how they accomplished that but it works. I like them a lot.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:48 PM

YMMV, but I've had pretty good luck with those new-fangled pinned MTB flats for commuting and riding around town. Plenty of grip with the pins for climbing hills, wide platform spreads pressure out across the foot, great for using with regular athletic/walking shoes. And you don't have to make sure your pedals are right-side-up.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:24 PM

What a bunch of downers! Jus kidding.

As for flats, they make a lot of sense, but I just like using clipless on most days. If I am not using clips, I typically wear Blundstones to work or some plastic:rubber soled Ecco ‘dress’ shoes. No deadly soles.

I have some flats sitting in a box for a pedal trial on my mtb that failed, so I might try them out again for a bit.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:32 PM

I have used Shimano and Well-go pedals like this and they work fine. Flipping to the desired side is no more difficult than flipping a pedal to get into toe clips---if you remember what that means.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I have used Shimano and Well-go pedals like this and they work fine. Flipping to the desired side is no more difficult than flipping a pedal to get into toe clips---if you remember what that means.
I've used toe clips, which always come to rest front down, so you flip the pedal backwards with your toe, and then slide your foot forward into the clip.

I've used Look and Time pedals, which always come to rest back down. so you flip the pedal forwards with your toe, and then stomp the cleat down to engage.

But do the platform-one-side/clipless-other-side pedals always come rest in a fixed orientation? if not, how do you know which way to flip them with your toe?
Old 08-27-2019, 04:46 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
I had the Crank Bros version of this (Doubleshot) on my townie/commuter/kid hauler for a while. At least on mine, you are constantly searching for the correct side of the pedal. This was super annoying in clipless when I was used to instant double-sided clip-in with Candies. On the flat side, the very small and non-removable "pins" didn't make for the best grip. Eventually, I realized that 90% of the use of that bike was with flat shoes, so I put some RaceFace Chesters on there.
Same with me. The "El Camino" solution didn't work for me.

I don't commute by bike, but on my errand/do everything bike, it's just good old flats. I used a few but I like Crank Bros Stamp pedals. Nice and wide.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I've used toe clips, which always come to rest front down, so you flip the pedal backwards with your toe, and then slide your foot forward into the clip.

I've used Look and Time pedals, which always come to rest back down. so you flip the pedal forwards with your toe, and then stomp the cleat down to engage.

But do the platform-one-side/clipless-other-side pedals always come rest in a fixed orientation? if not, how do you know which way to flip them with your toe?
I think I just look down or sometimes just feel the way my shoe slides over whichever side is up. Obviously from my vague answer you can tell it must not be a problem.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stien View Post
I have the new Shimano EH500 pedals that have pins for grip.

The pedal stays where you flip it ie if you're on the flat and get off, it doesn't rotate down. Not sure how they accomplished that but it works. I like them a lot.
I just purchased a pair of these for my single speed. They will be more for casual rides but still like the clipped option. My road pedals are Time, so the SPD will be a slight change but don't expect any real issues with these...they look pretty well made.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:27 PM

The Problem Solvers flat adapters are good for incidental use but maybe not for routine/regular riding. The platform feels small and they invert every time you remove a foot, which happens a lot in city commutes. But miles better than street shoes on ATACs.

MKS offers ATAC-compatible pedals with their EZY quick release system, making it easy to swap in EZY versions of their flat pedals. (Have not tried this personally.)