Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2019, 12:46 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Cino Heroica 2019

After a two year hiatus (there was an unorganized ride last year) Cino Heroica is back. This is my favorite ride ever....great food, good people and tuning out from the world. The ride is around 110 miles over two days, about 80% on dirt and gravel roads. Vintage bikes required.

This year they've brought back the guest rider and it's none other than David Kirk.

Registration is open. https://www.cinorider.com/ Hopefully I'll see some of you there.

Pics from a couple of years ago - https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=193282

A video which IMO does a great job of capturing the spirit of the weekend - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHXxy6CTM40
Old 04-18-2019, 02:48 PM

Signed up!

My friends and I are registered.

Back in 2016 (I think) my friend Chad and I came up from Denver to do the ride (what a long drive - we did stop at Kirk's on the way up to chat and see his shop).

Unfortunately I caught a bad cold on the way up so we ended up bailing on the ride. Chad caught the cold on the way back to Denver.

Rod, Chad, Paul, and I are coming up this year. Hoping none of us are sick when we get there!

Will be riding my home built that I rode in L'Eroica in 2012.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:09 PM

Awesome. I'm looking forward to it all.

dave
Old 04-19-2019, 11:45 AM

Are the participants required to use Cinelli components or is the name of the ride a misspelled reference to mandatory khaki pants dress code?
Old 04-19-2019, 08:39 PM

Nah.
The story I heard involved a coffee shop, the founder of the ride, and the drink he ordered each day on his way to work-cappuCINO.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:37 PM

Thanks for letting us know, @choke. 2019 is a no-go for me, but 2020 is now on my radar.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:07 AM

Robert Freeman's photos (linked to on CR): https://www.flickr.com/photos/837910...57710779322672.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:06 AM

I'm finding it hard to slip back into "real life" after a few wonderful days at the Cino. The weekend started off with a Concours d'Elegance on Friday evening to show off some of the vintage bikes that would be used for the ride....and some that were pure show bikes that were brought just to show off. There were some stunning bikes to be sure and I was glad to see the work of Bruce Gordon represented in all its glory. I brought a Serotta that I built for the Coors Light Team back in 1990. It got a few sideways looks from the vintage purists but even those people smiled when the realized that the builder of this old bike was in the room.

The ride on Saturday was 57 miles (45ish were dirt/gravel) with plenty of vertical. Some of the surfaces were not in any way road bike friendly but if you rode those short sections carefully all way fine. I used 32 mm tires but a friend used 23's and managed to not get any flats. Much of the ride was in wooded areas but after the seriously gourmet lunch by a stunning waterfall you cross over a ridge into a different drainage and the trees are gone replaced by low scrub brush and views one only sees in Montana. It was wonderful.

The Saturday ride descends to the little town of Hot Springs, MT (pop. 544). There was much story telling and tweaking of bikes and no small amount of beer being consumed. A fun way to wrap up the ride.

The dress-up dinner on Saturday was over the top. The food was to die for and the wines being passed around suited the scene and meal perfectly. Everyone looked so elegant... Handsome men and beautiful women in their fine clothing (some really cool vintage looks going on) set the tone. Very nice.

Sunday morning the word was that it could rain that afternoon so most wanted to get an early start and they got into breakfast first thing. Pancakes, bacon, organic coffee, melon, cereal....etc made it super easy to get fueled on on the best food you can imagine. One can no overstate how good all the food was.

The Sunday ride (47 miles) climbed slowly out of Hot Springs on a bit of pavement before the road turned to dirt.....a few miles of which were rutted and rough. This brings you to the lunch stop. It was a bit early for lunch for me but it was impossible to resist the cheesecake squares...I'm sure you understand. When leaving lunch you start the infamous "9 mile hill" and it's exactly what it says it is - a 9 mile long climb. I looked later and saw that you gain just under 2000' of vertical. It's the real deal. The surface was good and in the end this might have been my favorite part of that ride. I like to climb. At the top of the climb you come to a water stop where one could get water, beer or a martini. I was tempted by the beer but stuck with water but I enjoyed overhearing a conversation where two riders talked tricks on how to get a Campy Nuovo Record rear derailleur to wrap more chain...over martinis....in the woods....on road bikes....in northern Montana. An unlikely scene to be sure.

The Sunday ride wraps up with a long and flowing descent back into the tiny town of Kila Montana where a truck has your bags full of dress clothing and camping gear from the night before. There was a gathering at a local pub that I missed in an effort to get home before it got dark (5+ hour drive for me) and the mule deer and elk wandered onto the road.

The stories are endless but one that sticks out to me was the gentleman who took the train from northern California to Whitefish, MT where he got off and then road his bike from Whitefish to Kalispell and camped. He then did the two days of Cino rides and was going to reverse the trip to get home....and he had a prosthetic arm with a metal hook to hold the bars with on washboard gravel. Big respect.

I was honored to be asked to join the event this year and it won't be my last time there. If you want epic gravel rides, over the top food and cool people you should put this weekend on your list.

dave
Old 09-10-2019, 11:10 AM

Great report, Dave! I hope I can do this ride some day.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:51 PM
il Curmudgeoni

I had an interesting Cino. I managed to hurt my hand on the Monday before and by the time I got to Kalispell I decided that it was best that I not ride so I talked to Dave (the organizer) and volunteered to do support. I helped to fix a number of flats on the road as well as some other problems.

My Day 1 highlight was handing out 3 beers at around 0930.....that was before the top of the hill and the bacon stop. Day 2 was pretty easy, I mixed martinis at the top of the hill for several people and the only flats I had to deal with were 2 people (northbend, who is a member here being one) who both had double flats about 1000 feet apart.

On to the pics. Friday night there was a small concours...

David Kirk built this bike many moons ago and brought it to show....but he rode one of his own frames.

Fresh cooked bacon at the top of the first long climb

Sign on the way in to the fantastic lunch spot

Lunch spread

Old 09-10-2019, 08:54 PM
il Curmudgeoni

This waterfall is at the lunch spot. It's hard to appreciate the size of it, but if you look over the heads of those sitting on the bench you can see some people up close to it.

Awards ceremony at dinner

Old 09-11-2019, 12:06 AM
Everything is connected

Nice posts...thanks guys.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:24 PM

Another link posted on the CR list: https://www.flickr.com/photos/north_...57710807891638.

Dave Kirk's bike: https://www.flickr.com/photos/north_...7710807891638/.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dave Kirk personal bike.jpg (135.7 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by fiamme red; 09-12-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:50 PM

I'm already looking forward to being at the Cino 2020 and I'm working on a suitable vintage bike to meet all the Cino criteria. It should be really fun.

dave
Old 09-12-2019, 05:45 PM

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. Looks like an incredible ride and scene to be a part of..