Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2019, 07:03 AM

Cannondale is discontinuing the slate

Reviving an old thread. I understand the Slate is being discontinued by Cannondale, as a result there are some deals around for the rigid model. Should it be a consideration, knowing I'll have to change the gearing from 52/36 and have limited (still) tire choice of 42c in the rear? Also, obviously, it'd be an orphan moving forward.. I've ridden a Thesis 650 bike and loved it, but think I'd like 2x, definitely some good options out there. Sizing help, I seem to fit between M and L at 5'11" heard it's kinda short.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
Reviving an old thread. I understand the Slate is being discontinued by Cannondale, as a result there are some deals around for the rigid model. Should it be a consideration, knowing I'll have to change the gearing from 52/36 and have limited (still) tire choice of 42c in the rear? Also, obviously, it'd be an orphan moving forward.. I've ridden a Thesis 650 bike and loved it, but think I'd like 2x, definitely some good options out there. Sizing help, I seem to fit between M and L at 5'11" heard it's kinda short.
How good is the deal we are talking about? The Slate is a fun, interesting bike but in my opinion becomes less so once you take the Oliver out of the equation. Factor in the small tire clearance, proprietary front hub and crankset swap, I'm guessing you can find something else to do this job for the same or less money. There is a reason c-dale is discontinuing this.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:07 AM

Picked one of these up rigid slates up for my wife earlier this year. They're pretty easy to find for about a grand new. Shimano 105, hydro discs, etc.
Serving all-weather fast urban commuter duty, with some curb-hopping and light gravel, this is darn-near the perfect bike for her. She loves it.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:18 PM

I bought a ridgid apex slate and its nice enough. I did end up sourcing a pbr lefty for it, much more fun now. Would really rather have a 2x, but I've adapted to the 1x after changing up the front ring for something smaller as its overgeared for mountain work.

The 42's are plenty of tire, just unfortunately not a killer selection in that size.

Only complaint is its not rack compatible but I just throw it in the pickup.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
How good is the deal we are talking about? The Slate is a fun, interesting bike but in my opinion becomes less so once you take the Oliver out of the equation. Factor in the small tire clearance, proprietary front hub and crankset swap, I'm guessing you can find something else to do this job for the same or less money. There is a reason c-dale is discontinuing this.
105 hydro about $1k shipped.. as per above. I'm exactly where you are, would like clearance for 47c (on BOTH ends), have to change gearing to 34/50 rings and 11-32 or 34 minimum

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
I bought a ridgid apex slate and its nice enough. I did end up sourcing a pbr lefty for it, much more fun now. Would really rather have a 2x, but I've adapted to the 1x after changing up the front ring for something smaller as its overgeared for mountain work.

The 42's are plenty of tire, just unfortunately not a killer selection in that size.

Only complaint is its not rack compatible but I just throw it in the pickup.
so better with the lefty.. I think 42 would be fine with a larger front. Was riding gravel with friends, me on 32c GP 4 seasons, and out descending (he's a pure roadie, I'm exBMX/mtb) a guy on a stigmata with a sendero front, was thinking what do I really need.. I rode a thesis and loved it, but 3x the price.. oh well.

Last edited by Davist; 09-12-2019 at 02:14 PM. Reason: quoting 2