Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2019, 06:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
Yeah, I wish I knew what was happening. I rode them for 10 years and had a similar experience. I actually wore some cleats out honestly back then. I had 6 or 7 years where I didn't ride a lot or rode the MTB most of the time, and didn't really wear out or break anything. After that time (2013?), I came back into road cycling hot and heavy and now I break them all of the time.

I wish I could pinpoint what was going on. I could say that maybe it's my technique when clipping in or out, but I don't think that it's changed over the years.

I get breakages predominantly on my left cleat (which is my "healthy" leg - not one that I had a zillion injuries to), but I do break them on the right side too on occasion.
I suspect that the cleat 'may' not be completely flat. Most times this results in difficulty getting in or out but it may cause broken springs on X series.

Are the springs all breaking at the same spot on the spring?
Old 10-11-2019, 09:52 PM

Love my old chromoly x-4’s, 20 plus years old and no problems. Also have a pair of x-2 stainless steel. Very easy in and out at stop lights.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I suspect that the cleat 'may' not be completely flat. Most times this results in difficulty getting in or out but it may cause broken springs on X series.

Are the springs all breaking at the same spot on the spring?
Most of the time I break the left rear spring right down the middle of the exposed part. This is perhaps 50% of the time. I have broken all four springs at various times though, and the other 50% is divided amongst these.

The look flat to me, Peter, but I will recheck. I am willing to look at anything that will help at this point, and I haven't done this.

Last edited by berserk87; 10-11-2019 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sboat View Post
Love my old chromoly x-4’s, 20 plus years old and no problems. Also have a pair of x-2 stainless steel. Very easy in and out at stop lights.
Ditto. Three bikes with Speedplay X's. At least 20yrs on some of them. Very little maintenance to any of them. Been great.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
Most of the time I break the left rear spring right down the middle of the exposed part. This is perhaps 50% of the time. I have broken all four springs at various times though, and the other 50% is divided amongst these.

The look flat to me, Peter, but I will recheck. I am willing to look at anything that will help at this point, and I haven't done this.
I'd take the cleat and 3 bolt plate off and gently see if the 3 bolt plate aligns perfectly to the arc of the shoe...
Old 10-12-2019, 07:46 AM

Speedplays on the road bike since ~2002. Started w x/2 then zero stainless and now on zero cromo. Mostly love them. Yeah the cleats are annoyingly expensive but last a fairly long time and no problems with the new walkable cleats for the past year. Also wish rebuild was a little cheaper for parts and no red loctite to overcome. Not that much more $ to just buy a new set of pedals that come with spare set of cleats, for the cromo version anyway.

Last edited by MagicHour; 10-12-2019 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I'd take the cleat and 3 bolt plate off and gently see if the 3 bolt plate aligns perfectly to the arc of the shoe...
I recently had problems with cleats creaking. Although I had initially used the shims that Speedplay suggested for my shoes, the base plate was not fitting correctly to the shoe sole. In fact, when I tightened the bolts down, it was slightly concave. I could tell by putting a ruler against the plate. Edit for clarity: I swapped to a different set of shims, and that left the base plate much closer to level when mounted and stopped the creaking.

Bill at Speedplay told me that the curvature of some shoes was inconsistent, and some users have had to mix up the shim kit. For example, the instructions said my S-Works 7 shoes should take the 6-F and 6-R shims. Bill suggested that if going to the 5-F and 5-R shims didn't do it, I could even use one 6- and one 5- shim.

Hope this helps berserk.

Last edited by weiwentg; 10-13-2019 at 05:52 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bottle ride View Post
I think speedplay pedals are great-
My only complaint is the cleats. I think they lack off the bike durability - otherwise so light and wonderful.
If you use the X pedals, these are great. https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Kovers-S...a-571345706836
You'll wear out the spring before the metal on the cleat.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
I recently had problems with cleats creaking. Although I used the shims that Speedplay suggested for my shoes, the base plate was not fitting correctly to the shoe sole. In fact, when I tightened the bolts down, it was slightly concave. I could tell by putting a ruler against the plate.

Bill at Speedplay told me that the curvature of some shoes was inconsistent, and some users have had to mix up the shim kit. For example, the instructions said my S-Works 7 shoes should take the 6-F and 6-R shims. Bill suggested that if going to the 5-F and 5-R shims didn't do it, I could even use one 6- and one 5- shim.

Hope this helps berserk.
Ok, thank you- it's quite possible that this is my issue - I will take a look-see into the base plates as you and Peter have recommended. Will report back with results...