Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-06-2019, 05:30 PM

Brakes for new tandem

I have a choice between brakes for our new tandem. TRP spyres come stock, Ultegra hydros are an option.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-06-2019, 05:49 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
I have a choice between brakes for our new tandem. TRP spyres come stock, Ultegra hydros are an option. Any thoughts?
If you can make the finances work, full hydro is definitely the way to go. I also have braided line on mine. being able to use just one or two fingers to brake is a game changer. we are running 203/185 on our tandem.

I had a 8" mechanical disc (BB7) on the front of a previous tandem and so spongy. If you do go spyre at least find some compressionless housing.

Last edited by pdmtong; 09-06-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:09 PM

I'd agree with above.
The only reason not to go hydro would be $$$.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:19 PM

Whether you go mechanical or hydro, make sure you get big enough rotors. Co-Motion specs 180-203mm rotors for reference.

Greg
Old 09-06-2019, 07:45 PM
v a n i l l a

I re read and noted the Ultegra are an option, I would DEFINITELY do that since the last thing you want to do is get the TRP, find they are price point just ok, have to uninstall them and try to sell them used and then buy the Ultegra new which will necessitate you finding a longer rear hose etc. the time to do this is now. once you are on the full hydro you will wonder why it was even a thought.

Hydro discs are game changers for serious mtb and tandems. no one debates this.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
I re read and noted the Ultegra are an option, I would DEFINITELY do that since the last thing you want to do is get the TRP, find they are price point just ok, have to uninstall them and try to sell them used and then buy the Ultegra new which will necessitate you finding a longer rear hose etc. the time to do this is now. once you are on the full hydro you will wonder why it was even a thought.

Hydro discs are game changers for serious mtb and tandems. no one debates this.
Spyres are mechanical, in this scenario, you'd also need to buy new shifters to swap over to hydro brakes.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:31 PM
Road connoisseur

From (scary) experience, I can tell you that TRP’s Spyre brakes have a dire design flaw - their pad adjustment is not indexed. Following the first time you adjust the pads for wear, the Loctite bond on the adjustment bolts is broken and, after that, they never hold their pad setting.

Instead, we run a hybrid mixture of hybrid brakes on our tandems - TRP Hy/Rd and Yokozuna Motoko - all using Yokozuna compressionless housing and 203mm Shimano Icetech rotors. TRP have a video showing Hy/Rd’s being tested with rotors glowing red, which convinced me they were up for tandem use. The Motokos are a closed system but have worked great with Koolstop finned pads. If buying today, however, I would get their newer 4-piston sibling, the Ultimo. These brakes have survived year-round use in D2R2 country in style, so I’m happy to recommend them.

— John
Old 09-06-2019, 08:31 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Spyres are mechanical, in this scenario, you'd also need to buy new shifters to swap over to hydro brakes.
forgot that...even more reason to take the option and be first time done right