Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2019, 03:52 PM

Shipping Cost

I bought a custom diameter carbon seatpost from a european distributor. The post came and when my shop went to install it with my rebuild it was out of spec. Anywhere from.04 to .08 mm too large to be easily inserted in the seat tube. These measurements were done with a high quality caliper. He also said that it appeared ovalised in some areas. He said he could probably force it in after sanding off the clear coat, but he expected it would get stuck and I would end up with an unintentional ISP.

So I contacted the manufacturer/distributor and they said send it back and they would reimburse me for shipping, but just make sure I correctly declare it's value.

Today I go to my local postal store and ask what is the cheapest way to go with tracking and $150 of insurance. I was quoted $138 via DHL, which is similar to the online quotes I got for FedEx, UPS and DHL. Regular post office to post office is $35, but no insurance and no tracking available.

So do I send it via DHL and hope (not holding my breath) that they reimburse me for $138 or ship it via USPS or is there an alternative that I am missing?
Old 09-03-2019, 04:15 PM
cmg

is the frame the post going into carbon as well? for the oversize wouldn't be easier to ream the seat tube? but if its' carbon, no.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm714 View Post
I bought a custom diameter carbon seatpost from a european distributor. The post came and when my shop went to install it with my rebuild it was out of spec. Anywhere from.04 to .08 mm too large to be easily inserted in the seat tube. These measurements were done with a high quality caliper. He also said that it appeared ovalised in some areas. He said he could probably force it in after sanding off the clear coat, but he expected it would get stuck and I would end up with an unintentional ISP.

So I contacted the manufacturer/distributor and they said send it back and they would reimburse me for shipping, but just make sure I correctly declare it's value.

Today I go to my local postal store and ask what is the cheapest way to go with tracking and $150 of insurance. I was quoted $138 via DHL, which is similar to the online quotes I got for FedEx, UPS and DHL. Regular post office to post office is $35, but no insurance and no tracking available.

So do I send it via DHL and hope (not holding my breath) that they reimburse me for $138 or ship it via USPS or is there an alternative that I am missing?
Don't know where your'e getting your quotes from, but USPS Int'l Flat Rate Medium Box (the rectangular flat shaped one) should fit just about any seatpost, includes $200 insurance and is roughly $50. If you do non-flat rate and the weight is low USPS Priority Int'l should be near that $35 with $200 insurance. Priority Int'l has great tracking and automatically includes $200 insurance with every shipment
Old 09-03-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
is the frame the post going into carbon as well? for the oversize wouldn't be easier to ream the seat tube? but if its' carbon, no.
It's a steel frame, so I guess I could, but it's a Pegoretti and I hate to do anything to it I don't have to do.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:26 PM
aka RAEKWON

also why not message them and say, hey shipping is going to be expensive... is that ok?

but I agree with yinzerniner, that sounds too expensive. I have sent stuff to England, chorus shifters in the box and was like $50 fully insured. USPS.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:18 PM

I agree with the other posters. I sent a set of rollers to Germany this summer for $80 with insurance through USPS. It was to an APO though so that may be why it was less expensive?
Old 09-03-2019, 06:30 PM
v a n i l l a

how much was the post? I would weigh shipping it w/o tracking and potentially eating the seatpost cost (if lost) versus taking the risk the mfg will actually reimburse the shipping.

as for the peg, just get a shim. I shimmed my respo 30.0 to 27.2 and its never been an issue except for the purists who look close and shame me for not spending $300 on the WR Composti,
Old 09-03-2019, 06:42 PM

I assume by "local postal store" it's not an actual USPS. Postal Annex, Mail Boxes Etc., and the like mark-up standard rates.

Check out PirateShip.com - quick n easy, plus way cheaper than even the USPS walk-up counter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2019, 08:02 AM

The post was $140 euros after shipping.

Yes it wasn’t USPS just a mom and pop shipping store. I figured they had all the shipping options and would give me the best option.

I’ll hit USPS today and see what they say.....my local USPS always has lines at lunch hour though, that’s why I skipped them.

I have been in contact with the manufacture, and while they have been responsive they have been slow to respond. I dint want to mention their name since the experience hast been terrible, just slow.

I know I can shim it, but its such a perfect bike and the idea of a shim doesn’t seem right.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:57 PM
bourbon!

USPS online has a great intl shipping calculator. Estimate a box size and weight and go from there. Will give you all option prices.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm714 View Post
Yes it wasn’t USPS just a mom and pop shipping store. I figured they had all the shipping options and would give me the best option.
Mom and pop shipping stores typically add a markup to whatever the rates are directly from the shippers themselves. They may be convenient, but definitely not a good option if you're trying to find the lowest price.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:48 PM
aka RAEKWON

yeah....

support your mom and pops store but when it comes to shipping I go elsewhere because its always a bazillion dollars for the same service.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:24 AM
Vendor

A custom diameter carbon seat post? I'm curious why did you need a non standard diameter?
Old 09-05-2019, 09:09 AM

It’s a 29.4 and Thomson is the only manufacture that makes a post in that size. There are few companies that will make one to order. I have a Thomson straight post and. I wanted to get some set back and I don’t care for the aesthetic of the Thomson set back post. I could’ve gotten one in Ti from Albert Bold, but I wanted a carbon post.