Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2019, 06:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
I am not even sure if I have a question here…

After maybe 100-200 mikes on my new single speed, the KMC chain is very tight in some spots and loose in other spots. I am going to order a new one right away.

I guess the fact that with a single speed I am standing more and applying a lot of pressure to the pedals…

Or I am just a hack
ALL SS setups and track for that matter, will have a 'tight spot' and a 'loose spot'..because cogs and chainrings aren't perfectly round and centered..Adjust the 'tight spot' not too tight(don't want to break a chain)..and hope the 'loose spot' isn't too loose.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
ALL SS setups and track for that matter, will have a 'tight spot' and a 'loose spot'..because cogs and chainrings aren't perfectly round and centered..Adjust the 'tight spot' not too tight(don't want to break a chain)..and hope the 'loose spot' isn't too loose.
Thank you sir!
Old 08-30-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
I guess I am a really SS rookie as this is all new to me!

Thank you so much.
No problem. And this wasnt obvious to me back when i started riding single speeds(though i lacked common sense in my early years), but maybe you know this already.

The most efficient way to tight the chain properly is to step it back. Let me elaborate on my previous statement a bit, to give you the full picture.

Start out with both nuts tight. Find tight spot in chainring. Loosen drive side track nut, place your thumb on the NON drive side chainstay right before it meets the BB shell. Use your thumb to push the tire toward the drive side chainstay, which will push the track nut further back in the dropout. Once the chain is at a tension you like, tighten the track nut. Then do the same thing but opposite on the other track nut; pushing the tire with your thumb from the drive side chainstay, until the tire is center between the stays.

Maybe this is obvious, maybe theres a better way to do it, but this is what we did back when track bikes ruled the world, a few years ago

We evolved to this method from loosening both nuts at the same time and trying to pull the wheel as far back in the dropouts and tightening them as quickly as we could.... yeah that didnt work very well
Old 08-30-2019, 10:02 AM

Thank you so much for the sage advice.