Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2019, 03:24 PM

I've been enjoying the Niche Zero as well.

Noise was a definite criteria and while the Niche is not whisper quiet like the Eureka Atom, it's a world away from the Sette, which while a low retention value grinder is remarkably loud . For comparison, the Niche is also noticeably quieter than a Baratza Vario/Encore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydhest View Post

I am intrigued as it is supposed to be quiet. I make at most 4 shots a day, but they are before everyone else in the Manhattan apartment are awake. I need a quieter grinder than my Mazzer Mini.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortribs View Post
I've been enjoying the Niche Zero as well.

Noise was a definite criteria and while the Niche is not whisper quiet like the Eureka Atom, it's a world away from the Sette, which while a low retention value grinder is remarkably loud . For comparison, the Niche is also noticeably quieter than a Baratza Vario/Encore.
could you comment on a) build quality and b) whether they could deliver a product?

Those are basically my main reservations, as there a) is no long-term track record of performance and b) indiegogo thing is a donation, not a purchase.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:28 PM

Thanks. That's good info.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:53 PM

For me, with exception of the Lexan polycarbonate lid, there is a reassuring heft to the build. Would I rather it be built like a Monolith or a commercial Malkohnig? Sure.

The first few runs were UK made, which was enough for me to go with the donation platform, though I believe the are transitioning production to the far east.

Here's a detailed write up which may be of relevance:
https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk/wp-con...ero-review.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
could you comment on a) build quality and b) whether they could deliver a product?

Those are basically my main reservations, as there a) is no long-term track record of performance and b) indiegogo thing is a donation, not a purchase.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:56 PM

There is a very lengthy write up on the home barista forum on the niche. They love it.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortribs View Post
For me, with exception of the Lexan polycarbonate lid, there is a reassuring heft to the build. Would I rather it be built like a Monolith or a commercial Malkohnig? Sure.

The first few runs were UK made, which was enough for me to go with the donation platform, though I believe the are transitioning production to the far east.

Here's a detailed write up which may be of relevance:
https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk/wp-con...ero-review.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa86 View Post
There is a very lengthy write up on the home barista forum on the niche. They love it.
thanks for the info
Old 04-15-2020, 05:21 PM

For those who posted here that they bought a Rocket Appartamento, any long term reviews? I'm a little nervous about the fact that the boiler isn't insulated and some folks report the entire machine gets rather hot...

Thx!
Old 04-16-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
For those who posted here that they bought a Rocket Appartamento, any long term reviews? I'm a little nervous about the fact that the boiler isn't insulated and some folks report the entire machine gets rather hot...

Thx!
Not what you asked, but I'd consider a Lelit Mara in that size machine over the Appratamento. Or a Izzo Vivi (I ended up with a seattle coffee gear return at a nice price on this).
Old 04-16-2020, 08:01 AM
Administrator

speaking of which, really dodged a bullet.

i have been getting beans locally for years now, a few bags at a time, but these days of corona, i found myself running very short of beans, and if the coffee runs out, things will get ugly here quick.

fortunately, there are a bunch of coffee places, both local and national that will ship fresh roasted beans.

should have a delivery today of both a NY local roaster and INTELLIGENTSIA
Old 04-16-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
speaking of which, really dodged a bullet.

i have been getting beans locally for years now, a few bags at a time, but these days of corona, i found myself running very short of beans, and if the coffee runs out, things will get ugly here quick.

fortunately, there are a bunch of coffee places, both local and national that will ship fresh roasted beans.

should have a delivery today of both a NY local roaster and INTELLIGENTSIA
Dodged a bullet? Wow. Drone shot of my yacht!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2020, 08:35 AM

Yeah, Intelligencia roasts and ships next day to Madison for free! That saved me a trip to the grocery store two weeks ago.

Since then, I've signed up for a "war time" subscription from Oddly Correct in Kansas City. Oddly Correct is an top tier roaster, and they're offering a great price on subscriptions right now to keep their small staff employed.

https://oddlycorrect.com/shop/war-ti...-subscription/
Old 04-16-2020, 09:30 AM

Yeah we have a local roaster here in NS, flat rate delivery by them to your doorstep for about $8.
Used to have a Giotto / Vario setup which was sold during a move years ago, shopping around for a machine again.
Been looking at Appartamento, Profitec 500, and keeping an eye out for other rocket machines that might be on sale in Canada. Prefer to buy from 'Idrinkcoffee.com', good service from them.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:45 AM
50 bpm

This little tool from Sur La Table has been awesome. We use rechargeables so it's always working. Our heated almond milk froths amazingly.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:55 AM

Time to start roasting, always fresh... got 20lb of greens in the closet, so no need to go out or get delivery.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:18 AM
PegoNagos

I started roasting my own beans about 18 months ago and never looked back. Saves a ton of money and the beans are always fresh. I roast 2x a week and each time it only takes 10 min. I have a friend that has a little farm and I give her beans 2x a week too and in return I get eggs from her chickens and vegetables from her garden.

It's win-win!

Roasting is SUPER easy.

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso