Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2023, 03:45 PM

Which one of these is a Shimano compression sleeve bolt (hydro)

I have these in my hydro disc brake parts box. Both have the same thread that fits the R8020 and R7020 brake calipers I have and both are clearly for 5mm brake hose. I can't tell which is a Shimano but the silver one seems to fit the olive better.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4070.jpg (81.4 KB, 165 views)
Old 02-13-2023, 04:09 PM

The black one looks like it fits on a brake lever.
Old 02-13-2023, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
The black one looks like it fits on a brake lever.
2nd that, pretty sure they are the same on caliper and lever but Ive been out of the cycle a few years.

Not sure where that one on the left could be from.

Youve got a shimano olive too, which will come in handy when mating hoses to calipers/levers.
Old 02-13-2023, 04:14 PM

flat bar lever or drop bar lever

different bolts for each and both kinds look nearly identical. I think the left one in the photo is road and the right one mountain. as i recall you can also buy barbs that are meant for one or the other = silver or bronze.

see this thread i started a ways back. i still might be confused:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=276200

Last edited by eddief; 02-13-2023 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 04:26 PM

I'm using Jagwire hose and the silver barbs, the same as I did when I built up my Bingham. The Ultegra 8020 and Dura Ace 9120 levers levers use a flanged sleeve bolt. which looks different completely, and I have those. The caliper has a compression sleeve nut like the ones in the photo but I might not even have the Shimano ones in that photo.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2023, 12:47 PM

Update on this one:
I ordered the proper Shimano sleeve compression bolts at my LBS (we now have a good shop on MV, yippee). While looking them up, it became clear that the silver one I posted in the original post is a Shimano bolt, and it comes with the BH59 hose. My new question is, does Shimano use the same olive for the BH59 and BH90 hose kits? Because if they do, I am confused why the silver bolt wouldn't work as well as the ones I just bought - same olive, same 5mm OD of the hose, same threading.
Old 02-17-2023, 12:55 PM

Shimano uses the same olive for both line. The compression bolts are different because of the caliper and lever they fit into. The lower line brakes and some older models use the longer silver nut while most anything else uses the black one
Old 02-17-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000CSI View Post
Shimano uses the same olive for both line. The compression bolts are different because of the caliper and lever they fit into. The lower line brakes and some older models use the longer silver nut while most anything else uses the black one
This. Also, though the BH90 and BH59 olives are the same, the barbs are not. BH90 barb is thinner and silver, BH59 is thicker and brass.
Old 02-17-2023, 01:39 PM

I know the barbs are different and I use the silver ones in the Jagwire hose after measuring all the bits and even speaking with Jagwire. I fail to see how the barb affects the compression nut choice.

My question remains, and I'll re-phrase it - how does the Ultegra R8020 caliper know if the compression nut is the silver one or the black one?
Old 02-17-2023, 03:27 PM

Stick to using the same spec nut which is the black one for the R8050. The silver should work but why use something with a different spec.

The nuts come in different shapes and sizes for ur application/generation (mtb levers, road levers, calipers).

When in doubt RTM
https://si.shimano.com/en/dm/RADBR10..._brake_hose_RA

or google pictures
https://www.bikebug.com/shimano-disc...t-p-96784.html
Old 03-15-2024, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Update on this one:
I ordered the proper Shimano sleeve compression bolts at my LBS (we now have a good shop on MV, yippee). While looking them up, it became clear that the silver one I posted in the original post is a Shimano bolt, and it comes with the BH59 hose. My new question is, does Shimano use the same olive for the BH59 and BH90 hose kits? Because if they do, I am confused why the silver bolt wouldn't work as well as the ones I just bought - same olive, same 5mm OD of the hose, same threading.
It's great to learn about the local bike shop on MV! Regarding Shimano bolt compatibility, assuming they use the same olive for both BH59 and BH90 hose systems, the silver bolt should be proper.Magic 8 ball