Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2021, 04:25 PM

Training Analysis Web Site

What site does the brain trust recommend for uploading training data? I'm retiring my Polar system and just installed a Wahoo Roam system.

One thing I really enjoyed about Polar is the website. The recovery algorithm is great, tracking training outside of cycling, running and swimming is second to none. I have almost 2 decades of data it, but, no more.

I have a Strava account but Strava isn't for training analytics.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited by Hellgate; 04-16-2021 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:30 PM

I really like Training Peaks.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
One thing I really enjoyed about Polar is the website. The recovery algorithm is great, tracking training outside of cycling, running and swimming is second to none. I have almost 2 decades of data it, but, no more.
As someone who hasn't bought into any ecosystem yet, what pushed you away from Polar?
Old 04-16-2021, 05:22 PM

My unit wore out. They are no long making cycling computers and have no plans to do so. Their focus is high end watches for multisport. Not a bad thing, but I don't want a watch.

Last edited by Hellgate; 04-16-2021 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:29 PM

Training Peaks is good. You have to pay for the premium version, but the basic version is nice for what I do with it.

Golden Cheetah is good as well and has more data points and measurables than you can fathom. It's also free, but it's a desktop application only, and you have to manually load files to it. Not a huge deal, but some folks balk at that.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:10 PM

Garmin connect is actually really good for training analytics, but most likely wont work with a wahoo.
You can try the free training peaks version
Old 04-16-2021, 08:46 PM

Probably Training Peaks premium version to track improvement and recovery metrics; the TP Calendar/Workout plan is especially awesome. I currently use a hodgepodge ‘suite’ of free versions of TP, Strava, Garmin Connect, and Zwift (paid) which more or less give me the features I need and is automatically synced together with my activities, so its really not complicated to manage. I decided that with my meager cycling abilities the premium versions offer limited benefit at this point, lol
Old 04-16-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHour View Post
I currently use a hodgepodge ‘suite’ of free versions of TP, Strava, Garmin Connect, and Zwift (paid) which more or less give me the features I need and is automatically synced together with my activities, so its really not complicated to manage. I decided that with my meager cycling abilities the premium versions offer limited benefit at this point, lol
Similar to my approach, except that I use Xert instead of TP. I'm using it this year for the first time. I paid for premium version for this year--figured I would put in a year's worth of data and training and go from there. I mostly like it so far.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:26 PM

https://intervals.icu/ looks very interesting. You connect it to your Strava account and it provides a lot of interesting data that I don’t see in TrainingPeaks or Garmin Connect. It’s free but the developer would like you to pay $4/month.

I’m using TrainingPeaks and reluctant to pay for another service but I’m tempted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My blog and Instagram
Old 04-16-2021, 09:48 PM

Xert looks like it has some cool features around improvement, I forgot about that one. I'll give their podcast a listen to hear what they have to say, and maybe give it a try at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallen View Post
Similar to my approach, except that I use Xert instead of TP. I'm using it this year for the first time. I paid for premium version for this year--figured I would put in a year's worth of data and training and go from there. I mostly like it so far.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:52 PM

Its hard to beat the premium version of Training Peaks. The metrics and graphs available on the dashboard can give you as much information about your training as you can possibly need.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:44 AM

Training peaks premium is the ticket. My coach uses TP and has shown me more then I care to know about metrics. They have a app version and a full online version. You can build workouts that will sync with your Garmin, also auto uploads from your Garmin or wahoo.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:09 AM

It sort of depends on what you are looking for. I had used TP, XERT, and GoldenCheetah extensively. I only use GC now because it meets all of my needs and I especially like the ability to do aero testing. Plus, it is free.

XERT is easy to use. It does a couple of things really well. It had a number of serious flaws in my view. I was a user from prototype until about a year ago.

TP is rock solid. If you are working with a coach, they will have you use TP. I found TSS, TSB in TP to be representative of how I felt and as an older athlete, this was helpful; plus, I could adjust the exponents to really dial it in.

if you are technical minded, a DIY person, and/or cheap, GC all day long.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:55 AM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Sounds like TP is the way to go. I'm looking forward to my first ride with the new setup in a couple of hours.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:23 AM

Is Golden Cheetah still a thing and free? It used to do anything you wanted.