Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
whoever the pilot was on the bridge that day is probably in some hot water at the moment.
The Ship's master is responsible. When you transit the Suez or Strait of Hormuz, you have several extra people on the bridge. The Engineer could be is some kind of trouble because the grounding was likely due to losing all power/propulsion which took away the ability to steer. Then the wind took over and pushed the ship around to end up grounded. The wind has a huge effect on high profile ships.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
The Ship's master is responsible. When you transit the Suez or Strait of Hormuz, you have several extra people on the bridge. The Engineer could be is some kind of trouble because the grounding was likely due to losing all power/propulsion which took away the ability to steer. Then the wind took over and pushed the ship around to end up grounded. The wind has a huge effect on high profile ships.
There are many times when a pilot is required to be on the bridge. becoming a local pilot is quite a coveted job, as it allows one to be a master seaman without actually needing to travel, and the pay is always damned good.

i say he's probably in hot water because he's probably uncomfortable. as in - out of a cushy job.

i've had my hands on the throttles for a canal trip or two myself
Old 03-26-2021, 12:47 PM

The insights and observations of those of you who know what kind of s@#t you are looking at have been fascinating, and enlightening. Thanks!

As a side note, this isn’t the first time the Suez Canal has been shut down. Remember the Yellow Fleet!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Fleet

8 years. Gotta love the life boat olympics, and the postage system.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
There are many times when a pilot is required to be on the bridge. becoming a local pilot is quite a coveted job, as it allows one to be a master seaman without actually needing to travel, and the pay is always damned good.

i say he's probably in hot water because he's probably uncomfortable. as in - out of a cushy job.

i've had my hands on the throttles for a canal trip or two myself
When I was in the PNW, the pilots were multi-generational. The jobs were passed father to son, with the parent paying the fees to get into the guild. I heard as much as $400K to "buy in" for qualified pilots. When I was on submarines we'd pick up a pilot near Port Angeles as we entered the Puget Sound traffic separation. On east coast carriers, we'd get a pilot near Thimble Shoals.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:36 PM
Vendor

Quote:
According to what I heard and read, there was a massive fog front that came in that caused the grounding.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
According to what I heard and read, there was a massive fog front that came in that caused the grounding.
I read it was a sandstorm. Still, they have all kinds of navigation instruments don't they?

Tim
Old 03-26-2021, 01:57 PM

Old 03-26-2021, 01:59 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
I read it was a sandstorm. Still, they have all kinds of navigation instruments don't they?

Tim
They absolutely have state of the art navigation equipment. This shouldn't have happened. If you look at past pics of the canal, they never get that close to the shore. So how they beached it, who knows.

There's 10 tugs around it right now.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:09 PM
You still here?

Quote:
They absolutely have state of the art navigation equipment. This shouldn't have happened. If you look at past pics of the canal, they never get that close to the shore. So how they beached it, who knows.

...and you can bet that all the ‘rescue’ personnel and equipment will have their hours maximized.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:13 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
...and you can bet that all the ‘rescue’ personnel and equipment will have their hours maximized.
oh you know it.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:20 PM

I read an interesting perspective on this. Since it apparently can cost up to $500k to go through the Suez, some ships (or at least their operators) actually choose to go around the southern tip of Africa. I guess they're not in a hurry.

I'm sure the awesomely experienced here will correct me momentarily....
Old 03-26-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:

I doubt navigation had anything to do with it, in the sense that you know exactly where you are and you're bringing this ship down a veritable bowling alley. It would be more a boat handling issue and the sandstorm wreaked havoc.

I visit my dad in Savannah which has a huge port. It's very cool to watch the ships go down the river right past downtown in a pretty narrow river. They are very close to River St. I noticed that with the bigger ships, there were 1-2 tugs managing the bow plus a tug attached to the stern with a line. I wonder if this ship had any tug assistance, and if so, how were they configured.

@bigbill: When you went thru, did you have tugs guiding you?
Old 03-26-2021, 03:53 PM

I watch red tug boats in Narragansett bay going down from East Providence, they are my favorite boat "like to own one"

ca50da9f3753206d12123c1ce804933f.jpg
Old 03-26-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
The wind has a huge effect on high profile ships.
This. It's not necessarily negligence. Time will tell.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:59 PM
ZhugeLiang

Largest Container Ships

https://www.marineinsight.com/know-m...ships-in-2019/

2nd largest: nice comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx7Cj2SY3jw

Last edited by weisan; 03-26-2021 at 04:03 PM.