Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I tried the zero on some custom 4-bolt shoes and couldn't get clipped in, so I gave up and kept using X type.

I've got enough X pedals and cleats to last several years. When those wear out I'll give zeros another shot.
I agree that the Zeroes were noticeably harder to clip in than the Xs, but in my experience, the Zero cleats did wear in (i.e. it got easier to clip in). FWIW.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:18 PM

do it, you wont regret it. wonder how long it will take for production to get up to snuff.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000CSI View Post
Don't back those screws out. The reason Speedplay offers those torque wrenches is because that is the torque those screws are meant to be tightened to. Thats the way it works. If you back them out you risk of cleat location drift at best or air worst the cleat will come off.. I have seen this MANY times.
If you don't like the high release tension get the Ultra Light. I think that is why the Ultra Light came after the Zero, too many people complained the release tension was too high. OR better yet, don't get Speedplay at all. I'm a fan and have sued X-Series for years, but I think the pedals are DOA. Wahoo doesn't seem to be doing much with them or maybe they are doing a redesign and will be very different than they are now.
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm good with backing them out a bit, especially since I'm currently using them indoors only. They seem really tight, despite the torque driver. I've ridden the X-series stuff for over 20 years, and haven't lost a screw in a long, long time. I have never had cleat drift. If I've lost a screw it's because a single one fell out here and there. The weird thing is that (in theory) they are torqued to the same spec as my X's, but for some reason, it feels like getting the screws to tighten was much harder for the Zeros. Maybe my torque driver is knackered.

I may check out the Ultra Lights. I bought 3 pairs of Zeroes last year when my favorite LBS went out of business, so I had them handy.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:53 PM

I am just going back to an old speedplay x2 that I had. I bought a x2 cleat from
eBay doesn’t seem to lock well.
Do any of you happen to know if the aero cleats would work with a x2 ?
Contemplating to get one from lbs instead of this whole eBay business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2021, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnsathyan View Post
I am just going back to an old speedplay x2 that I had. I bought a x2 cleat from

The Aero/walkable cleats are only for Zero pedals. The Zero and X-Series pedals use very differen retension springs, and one won't work the other.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:42 PM

Move to Speedplay Zero?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
The Aero/walkable cleats are only for Zero pedals. The Zero and X-Series pedals use very differen retension springs, and one won't work the other.

Oh damn ok thanks a lot for that. Will try to figure out.

Old 03-23-2021, 05:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

As Mark said, the Zero/Aero cleat and X2 cleats are different systems' but if you are having issues getting into your X2-make sure the cleat is FLAT. Use available/supplied shims..that cleat has to be FLAT. If it's not flat at all, you will have problems getting in or worse, getting out of them.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
As Mark said, the Zero/Aero cleat and X2 cleats are different systems' but if you are having issues getting into your X2-make sure the cleat is FLAT. Use available/supplied shims..that cleat has to be FLAT. If it's not flat at all, you will have problems getting in or worse, getting out of them.

Thanks a lot for the tip makes a lot of sense !. Like i said I bought online and took a while getting it and they didn’t send any shims just the cleat system but with a single base plate.I will try to look for shims online.

Old 03-26-2021, 05:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the tip makes a lot of sense !. Like i said I bought online and took a while getting it and they didn’t send any shims just the cleat system but with a single base plate.I will try to look for shims online.

I have a ton of shims..they were the same, X or zero cleats..give me your address and I'll send ya a mix of them..
Old 04-17-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I have a ton of shims..they were the same, X or zero cleats..give me your address and I'll send ya a mix of them..

Thanks a lot for the shims. Really appreciate you sending them over !

Old 04-17-2021, 12:11 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the shims. Really appreciate you sending them over !

A pleasure, glad you got ‘em...
Old 04-18-2021, 08:00 AM

Why would Wahoo kill Speedplay X, Frogs, and Syzr pedals? Why did they buy the products in the first place....

I can sort of understand Saris killing the Powertap power meters (hub and pedal)
Old 04-18-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
Why would Wahoo kill Speedplay X, Frogs, and Syzr pedals? Why did they buy the products in the first place....

I can sort of understand Saris killing the Powertap power meters (hub and pedal)

No doubt a busines decision based on popularity / units sold. Whereas Richard Byrne being the "inventor / designer" probably woud have continued making his entire lineup as long as he continued to own the company. Since when Richard owned the company everything was made in San Diego and now from what I've read everything is made in Vietnam Wahoo probably feels the need to focus on what sells the most for production efficiency and overseas shipping. Kind of the difference between a visionary's passion and a purely enconomies of scale business decision. Bummer though, I love the Syzrs for gravel riding. When they first came out they were targeted at mountain bikers but with the front release made some riders skittish for hardcore riding. To me the perfect market was the gravel grinder market which was exloding back then. I loved the X's and rode them for 20 years but made the jump to Zero's last summer, I could see the writing on the wall for cleat supplies dwindling. I glad I made the change, I like the Zero's better. Slightly harder to clip in and out but they feel more stable to me and the cleats appear to last much longer, win / win overall.

Last edited by A1A; 04-18-2021 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1A View Post
No doubt a busines decision based on popularity / units sold. Whereas Richard Byrne being the "inventor / designer" probably woud have continued making his entire lineup as long as he continued to own the company. Since when Richard owned the company everything was made in San Diego and now from what I've read everything is made in Vietnam Wahoo probably feels the need to focus on what sells the most for production efficiency and overseas shipping. Kind of the difference between a visionary's passion and a purely enconomies of scale business decision. Bummer though, I love the Syzrs for gravel riding. When they first came out they were targeted at mountain bikers but with the front release made some riders skittish for hardcore riding. To me the perfect market was the gravel grinder market which was exloding back then. I loved the X's and rode them for 20 years but made the jump to Zero's last summer, I could see the writing on the wall for cleat supplies dwindling. I glad I made the change, I like the Zero's better. Slightly harder to clip in and out but they feel more stable to me and the cleats appear to last much longer, win / win overall.
Me to.

I am literally left without a replacement for a free float, 2 bolt pedal. The SYZR cleats were virtually indestructible. I mount them midsole on carbon soled racing shoes. I suppose I could suck it up and pay scalpers $200 for NOS cleats. I do have five sets of Frogs that I no longer use, I could gouge on those to support my SYZR habit.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm good with backing them out a bit, especially since I'm currently using them indoors only. They seem really tight, despite the torque driver. I've ridden the X-series stuff for over 20 years, and haven't lost a screw in a long, long time. I have never had cleat drift. If I've lost a screw it's because a single one fell out here and there. The weird thing is that (in theory) they are torqued to the same spec as my X's, but for some reason, it feels like getting the screws to tighten was much harder for the Zeros. Maybe my torque driver is knackered.

I may check out the Ultra Lights. I bought 3 pairs of Zeroes last year when my favorite LBS went out of business, so I had them handy.
If you have to back the screws out, it likely means that the cleats aren’t sitting flat on your shoes (or they were overtightened in the first place, but if you are using the Speedplay tool this is less likely). Are you using the 3-hole adapter plate? If not, are you using the shims under your cleats as necessary to keep the cleats flat?

Zeros shouldn’t be much more difficult to get into than the AXS. As to exiting, it’s easier to exit the Zeros. Adjust the rotation so your heels won’t have to travel as far to the outside to release. Adjust the inward rotation so my heels can’t hit the chain stays. When set up this way, you still should have ample rotation. Use some dry lube on the cleats about 1x each week. I’ve used Speedplays since there have been Speedplays. I switched to Garmin Vectors last season, and cannot wait to dump them for the new Speedplay power meter. The Zeros are better pedals than the Xs, and the cleats last far longer.