Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2021, 09:24 PM

OT: one sweet little audio set up

So my son just graduated from Univ. of the Western States with his masters in Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine with a GPA of 3.97.
https://www.uws.edu/human-nutrition-...onal-medicine/
I asked what he wanted as a graduation present and he said he wanted a music system. So the search begins.
He streams his music so a wireless/bluetooth DAc was in order. Got a iFi zen blue for that.
Next was a amp of minimalist physical size but sounded good. That would be the Dayens Ampino. A sweet little 25 watt transistor amp that I have in a second system.
https://www.dayens.rs/eng_ampino.html
Next was some speakers to match the lite 25 watt output of the amp. No brainer here. A set of omega Super 7 Monitor MK2 in birdseye maple. I asked about porting on the bottom and he said he would give it a shot. with a sensitivity of about 94.5 dB at 8 ohms they will sing.
https://omegaloudspeakers.com/collec...nt=32164679756
Had some stands made of maple and walnut with a hole on the top of the stand to accomodate the bottom port.
Had a friend make some 8' speaker cables as well as some rca interconnects.
I will be delivering this to him tomorrow.
I have this same setup in a second system but with different omega speakers and it is one sweet sounding combo. With some music I like it better than my $2500 tube amp and omega Super Alnico High Output Monitor
https://omegaloudspeakers.com/collec...nt=32172424908.
I am sure he will probably pee himself once he see's his new setup.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:32 PM

Looks sweet. Woulda loved a little system like that after grad.

Congrats! Hope he gets much enjoyment out of it.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:33 PM
v a n i l l a

I salute anyone for advancing the state of audio enjoyment to this generation beyond earbuds

Congratulations to your son!

I recently did the same for my daughter who graduate a year early from University

These are powered Beolab 8000 and a sonic solutions B&W designed sub. The Spotify source is wireless from iPhone to airport express via airplay 2. The airport express has a stereo 3.5mm out to the sub which is in charge of <70hz and then the sub passes everything above to the Beolabs via monster and SVS RCA. Bugs me a bit they are mismatched but used what I had

Old 04-17-2021, 10:35 PM
v a n i l l a

OT: one sweet little audio set up

That was the test set up with iPod as source
Old 04-17-2021, 10:49 PM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
That was the test set up with iPod as source
Forget that, let's hear about your Klipshorns!
Old 04-17-2021, 10:54 PM

Curious as to whether kiddo has heard those speakers before? For something so personal and such an investment, I'd have to heard them first.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:36 AM

So nice to hear about ANY young people getting actual hi-fi setups. It seems the world of decent home audio is becoming more niche than ever.

Tim
Old 04-18-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Curious as to whether kiddo has heard those speakers before? For something so personal and such an investment, I'd have to heard them first.
I have 2 pair of omega speakers in two different systems so yes he has a very good idea of the sound coming from the omega's. Very detailed,bottom drops at some point but they are a midrange dream.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:03 AM
It's Polly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
So my son just graduated from Univ. of the Western States with his masters in Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine with a GPA of 3.97. *snip*
Congratulations on getting him through college!

As far as that audio system goes, well done, but that would only be good for a small office for me. If it doesn't cause nose-bleeding, its not loud enough for this old rock and roller!

Just kidding! I think that setup probably puts out such quality sound it would make me cry.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
Forget that, let's hear about your Klipshorns!
+1 to that!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 04-18-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
(...) I recently did the same for my daughter who graduate a year early from University

These are powered Beolab 8000 and a sonic solutions B&W designed sub. The Spotify source is wireless from iPhone to airport express via airplay 2. The airport express has a stereo 3.5mm out to the sub which is in charge of <70hz and then the sub passes everything above to the Beolabs via monster and SVS RCA. Bugs me a bit they are mismatched but used what I had

+2

It's the speakers behind the Beolab's that caught my attention. What do you run the Klipschorn's with?

Paul Klipsch cracked the code for great speakers 70 years ago. Everything else is fluff...

Last edited by dgauthier; 04-18-2021 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:53 PM
v a n i l l a

The OPs celebration and action really resonated with me. First, the parental milestone of seeing your child finish one chapter and be ready to start another. Chapeau! And second, the want to evolve the audio experience away from white ear buds (and possibly 3mb MP3s).

We all know not all audio sounds the same. Broadly, yes there is good better best but specifically it is all informed by our sound tastes, the music we listen to and especially our budget.

I really like the idea of the OPs "sweet LITTLE" audio system. Who wouldn't like a great sounding stereo that takes up very little space? Those little Omegas look good!

There's no denying the physics of sound reproduction. you want bass, you need volume. So there is the blessing and curse of the K-Horns. They dictated the houses we looked at, they dominate that end of the room, they are a pain to move, and they've been with me my whole life since not easily disposed of.

The blessing? 105db SPL/1m with a 40w tube amp. They can play incredibly loud, but the sound is so warm, so rich its absolutely immersive. At volume the house foundation vibrates from the bass waves. The horn mid and horn tweet are accurate and present center stage. Front row seats. You hear everything!

The Beolabs? All show? No go? IMHO I like them better with a sub but it really depends on the music one listens to and at what volume. To me, they are a nice combination of sound and aesthetic.

Just as the OP was putting together his solution for digital to analog (DAC, amp, speakers) I was also trying to figure something as well. So my solution is powered speakers/sub and an Apple Airport Express. It's a different take on the same challenge because a priority was simple and minimal components. FWIW the iPhone connection is via WiFi and not via Bluetooth. I think that allows more signal content?

It's shocking how big the Beolab can play but make no mistake, there's no comparison to the K-Horns. Cone area and cabinet volume, right?

Last edited by pdmtong; 04-18-2021 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I salute anyone for advancing the state of audio enjoyment to this generation beyond earbuds

Congratulations to your son!

W.