Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2021, 02:24 PM

CK Ringdrive engagement lag

Don't maintain my stuff as recommended by manufacturer - oops!

Noticed engagement lag on a Chris King ISO disc hub (MTB). Lag is pretty consistent - seems more like a DT hub with the course Star Ratchet than the near-instant it should be. Compared/confirmed against another CK ISO MTB hub to be sure I'm not imagining things.

Any comments on what I might find when I open it up? Should I expect a cleaning + re-lube to correct the problem or more likely there is a broken part? Don't personally have the Ringdrive tools to completely break down the mechanism. Hub is from 2014 and probably hasn't been serviced in 3-4 years at least.

FYI, in addition to the lag, it also started to occasionally pop + slip. Maybe once every 10 minutes or so. Pop happens when you rengage after coasting, not during steady application of power.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:00 PM

The CK tool is only required for replacing the bearings themselves. Otherwise, is fully disassembled via hex wrenches.

The problem you describe is common if hub play is not adjusted and allowed to become excessive.

You should download the hub manual from the CK site. It covers adjustment and disassembly in great detail.

Rely on the manual - one can find lots of misinformation regarding CK hubs offered. Many just do not grasp the concept as to how these hubs work. It is a very simple design - not complex at all.

Last edited by parallelfish; 04-17-2021 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_hudson View Post
Don't maintain my stuff as recommended by manufacturer - oops!

Noticed engagement lag on a Chris King ISO disc hub (MTB). Lag is pretty consistent - seems more like a DT hub with the course Star Ratchet than the near-instant it should be. Compared/confirmed against another CK ISO MTB hub to be sure I'm not imagining things.

Any comments on what I might find when I open it up? Should I expect a cleaning + re-lube to correct the problem or more likely there is a broken part? Don't personally have the Ringdrive tools to completely break down the mechanism. Hub is from 2014 and probably hasn't been serviced in 3-4 years at least.

FYI, in addition to the lag, it also started to occasionally pop + slip. Maybe once every 10 minutes or so. Pop happens when you rengage after coasting, not during steady application of power.
You probably only have a mucked up drive with old oil. Disassemble and clean it with fresh Phil oil or ring drive oil. Both parts. Then re-lube and reassemble. If you're not familiar with this, there are some very good YouTube tutorials.

Last edited by bikinchris; 04-18-2021 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:38 PM

+1 just above.

This happens when the ring drive/area is dry or a heavy lube was used. Easy to disassemble, clean, lube with King product or light oil.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:13 AM

This might help:
https://youtu.be/LNy8U11rn3I