Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 04-14-2021, 07:42 AM
Shifty Member

That's a sweet rig. So how many different gravel bikes have you had in the past few years? I enjoy reading your comparisons and feel like you should start up a blog. Do you still have the stigmata?

Also seeing your rims have me all excited about mine that should be coming in the next 3-4 weeks.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eippo1 View Post
That's a sweet rig. So how many different gravel bikes have you had in the past few years? I enjoy reading your comparisons and feel like you should start up a blog. Do you still have the stigmata?

Also seeing your rims have me all excited about mine that should be coming in the next 3-4 weeks.

Thanks!

I have probably been through at least a dozen gravel/allroad/cx bikes in vet the past five years or so. No.831, an 08 Moots Psychlo-X custom more like a first generation Routt with couplers and a Serotta CHT rigid 26er are my dirt/gravel/trail riding bikes at the moment. Sold the Stigmata a couple of years ago to a forum member in Massachusetts.

As far as a blog goes I may end up going that route or maybe something on YouTube? Seems there aren’t a ton of high end bike reviews especially when it comes to hand-built boutique bikes and comparisons to production bikes in the same genre.

I just threw some 650b ATRs out n yesterday and plan to get some miles in today if I can get the tires to seal up properly. The Btlos wheels are nice and light! They definitely build up into a nice overall wheel with the hubs of your choice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2021, 08:41 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
It is very comfortable and pretty thick. I rode gloveless and this stuff is very supple as well.

I have tried a lot of different leather bar tapes over the years and this stuff is very high quality. I had some Fabric brand Buffalo leather tape that I tried a few years ago and liked quite a bit. The Leh is thicker and more comfortable IMHO. Worth the $$$.

yeah Adam it looks amazing. I am fine with the price. My thing is I want it to kinda match my berthoud saddle and was about to get berthoud tape which is about the same price but not gonna lie, this LEH stuff just looks like a bit more padding and a bit nicer.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
yeah Adam it looks amazing. I am fine with the price. My thing is I want it to kinda match my berthoud saddle and was about to get berthoud tape which is about the same price but not gonna lie, this LEH stuff just looks like a bit more padding and a bit nicer.

It definitely is! I have used the Berthoud tape and it is nice an supple, but not as durable or thick as this tape. The Leh also is a continuous roll whereas my Berthoud tape had a spot where they attached the length from more than a single piece.

Old 04-14-2021, 12:57 PM

I love the Berthoud tape. It's not as thick but I do find it comfy. Mostly, I like the patina <3
Old 04-14-2021, 01:12 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
It definitely is! I have used the Berthoud tape and it is nice an supple, but not as durable or thick as this tape. The Leh also is a continuous roll whereas my Berthoud tape had a spot where they attached the length from more than a single piece.

oh, thats weird lol. I messaged LEH, lets see what they say

Quote:
Originally Posted by donalrey View Post
I love the Berthoud tape. It's not as thick but I do find it comfy. Mostly, I like the patina <3
haha, I mean there will be no way to match the saddle perfect but to use the berthoud but I think I can deal with for a little more padding. Everything berthoud does is excellent
Old 04-15-2021, 06:17 AM

Went out for a ride on one of my favorite loops with the 650b 42mm tires and it was a blast. I loved the bike with 700c, but even more so now in 650b. It bombs the descents and feels easier to spin up the climbs! Digging the Paris Motos on the pavement as well! This is likely how this bike will stay for a while as I really do love 650b!

Old 04-15-2021, 07:05 AM

Cool to hear you are digging the bike!

Define “a while”!

Old 04-15-2021, 07:39 AM
aka RAEKWON

Some say 650b is dead but I could care less, I love 650b as well. I won’t say its as fast as 700 but who cares, we are not out there racing and 650b fell amazing and super fun.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:47 AM

Looks great, and those trails look like some fun. Super happy to see you enjoying it and riding hard

Old 04-15-2021, 08:29 AM

A while is likely a multi season bike. My Drifter was the last bike that I kept for 3-4 years and I could see this doing at least that.
It is basically the perfect all around bike for me right now. I have already lost 7lbs since it arrived and find myself motivated again to keep pushing things. I plan on keeping a road bike and some mountain bikes around, but this will be my primary bicycle for a while!

Old 04-15-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Some say 650b is dead but I could care less, I love 650b as well. I won’t say its as fast as 700 but who cares, we are not out there racing and 650b fell amazing and super fun.

I love 650b bikes. Hell, I love the rigid 26er I have as well. The width and versatility for going out and riding is fun. I am not breaking any speed records anyway!

Old 04-15-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
A while is likely a multi season bike. My Drifter was the last bike that I kept for 3-4 years and I could see this doing at least that.
It is basically the perfect all around bike for me right now. I have already lost 7lbs since it arrived and find myself motivated again to keep pushing things. I plan on keeping a road bike and some mountain bikes around, but this will be my primary bicycle for a while!

That’s awesome to hear, Adam. This is exactly what I want out of a bike.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Went out for a ride on one of my favorite loops with the 650b 42mm tires and it was a blast. I loved the bike with 700c, but even more so now in 650b. It bombs the descents and feels easier to spin up the climbs! Digging the Paris Motos on the pavement as well! This is likely how this bike will stay for a while as I really do love 650b!

Other than the integrated seatmast, our bikes could be twins!