Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2019, 09:59 AM

Hmm... long time ago but back then. Need to check the feeds...

ps: great win nevertheless... im sad because TD got out tho... that changed the dynamic of the race a lot. Now the TdF, probably will be as bored as has been for a while now. Giro and vuelta, best of the year and best of the year to come.

Last edited by ultraman6970; 06-02-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:19 AM

Congrats to Chad Haga with the final stage victory! Saving the best for last. Also congrats to overall winner Carapaz. Isn't he the first South American grand tour winner?
Old 06-02-2019, 10:21 AM
Proud Grandpa

1 ECU CARAPAZ Richard MOVISTAR TEAM
2 ITA NIBALI Vincenzo BAHRAIN - MERIDA 01’ 05”
3 SLO ROGLIC Primoz TEAM JUMBO - VISMA 02’ 30”
4 ESP LANDA MEANA Mikel MOVISTAR TEAM 02’ 38”
5 NED MOLLEMA Bauke TREK - SEGAFREDO 05’ 43”
6 POL MAJKA Rafal BORA - HANSGROHE 06’ 56”
7 COL LOPEZ Miguel Angel ASTANA PRO TEAM 07’ 26”
8 GBR YATES Simon Philip MITCHELTON - SCOTT 07’ 49”
9 RUS SIVAKOV Pavel TEAM INEOS 08’ 56”
10 RUS ZAKARIN Ilnur TEAM KATUSHA ALPECIN 12’ 14”
Old 06-02-2019, 10:21 AM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlond View Post
Congrats to Chad Haga with the final stage victory! Saving the best for last. Also congrats to overall winner Carapaz. Isn't he the first South American grand tour winner?
Nairo was.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
Nairo was.
D'oh, how could I forget. Still, a big day for Ecuador.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
Nairo was.
Both wrong. Maybe I am too but I think it was the great Luis “Lucho” Herrera who was the first South American Grand Tour winner when he took the 1987 Vuelta.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:38 AM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Both wrong. Maybe I am too but I think it was the great Luis “Lucho” Herrera who was the first South American Grand Tour winner when he took the 1987 Vuelta.
Ya. I thought this was a Giro ask.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:45 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Pretty funny with sound on (actually says, "F*****g SRAM"):
https://twitter.com/faustocoppi60/st...28030453526528

Degankolb at San Remo dropping x1 chain, Porte at ToC on the Baldy stage and this. The move from Shimano-->SRAM this year for Trek might be questioned at this point.
HA! There’s a reason why teams buy shimano rather than get Sr(p)am for free(BMC and EF)...here’s where the sr(l)am fanboys talk about how their stuff is perfecto!!!

Geez, this sr(cr)am stuff is massaged by the sr(ra)m ‘experts’ too...oh well.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 06-02-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:27 PM

Isn't he the first South American grand tour winner? <--- no, nairo quintana and luis herrera, actually luis herrera was the 1st one to win a GT, winning the vuelta 1987 or so...

IMO there could be more the problem was that nobody was going to europe to race and the few that tried before then herrera pretty much were killed by the abusive environment, in other words they were not going to let them win or were used as living experiments for new drugs and stuff... Wanderley Magalhaes was one of those... dude i knew... I knew other ones from argentina and chile that had to come back, some went to france, other ones to belgium. A couple had Panamerican medals and stuff, not handicapped horses. THey never got a chance even when they had the chance to win races, so they returned to their countries and many just after that experience left cycling because there was nothing else and if you look at it what else you can do? just continue with their lives.

A long time since mid 80s and 2000s... s/a riders are more respected now a days, so if you have a guy that is good he will have a chance now a days.

Ok end of 50% rant
Old 06-02-2019, 05:31 PM

Prescient words from Nibali

After Stage 14:

"He let the gap go to Carapaz and Majka and wanted me to close it and I said: 'Basta! No more!'

Roglic is well placed overall but if he continues to ride like that he won't win this Giro. I won't win it too but neither will he."
Old 06-02-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlond View Post
Also congrats to overall winner Carapaz. Isn't he the first South American grand tour winner?
Carapaz looked good, and it was a fun Giro to watch.

Like others wrote already, South American GT winners: Herrera (Colombia; Vuelta 1987) and then Quintana (Colombia; Giro 2014, Vuelta 2016).

A real (but trick) trivia question could be:
Q: First North American Grand Tour winner?
LeMond? No. Hampsten? No. Armstong? No. Hesjedal? No. Horner? No. Who?
A: Giuseppe Enrici, Italian by nationality, but American (Pittsburgh, PA, 1898) by birth, Giro 1924.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
Carapaz looked good, and it was a fun Giro to watch.

Like others wrote already, South American GT winners: Herrera (Colombia; Vuelta 1987) and then Quintana (Colombia; Giro 2014, Vuelta 2016).

A real (but trick) trivia question could be:
Q: First North American Grand Tour winner?
LeMond? No. Hampsten? No. Armstong? No. Hesjedal? No. Horner? No. Who?
A: Giuseppe Enrici, Italian by nationality, but American (Pittsburgh, PA, 1898) by birth, Giro 1924.
Are you sure about that? Giuseppe Enrici may have been born in the US, and may have had dual citizenship, but he and his family moved back to Italy when he was a child. I don't believe that Italy at that time recognized dual citizenship for adults, which means he was likely not an American citizen when he won the Giro.

I think the honor of 1st American to win a Grand Tour was Marianne Martin, who won the Tour Cycliste Féminin (also referred to as the Women's Tour de France) in 1984.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Are you sure about that? Giuseppe Enrici may have been born in the US, and may have had dual citizenship, but he and his family moved back to Italy when he was a child. I don't believe that Italy at that time recognized dual citizenship for adults, which means he was likely not an American citizen when he won the Giro.
Yes I am sure about that; and I never mentioned dual citizenship, only that Enrici was American by birth.

In any case, and not that it really matters other than to add to the pedantry, Enrici would have been technically a dual citizen, under Article 7, Law 555 "On Italian Citizenship", passed 13 June 1912, since he would have been born of an Italian father (jus sanguinus), in a jus soli country (USA).
Old 06-03-2019, 08:11 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
Yes I am sure about that; and I never mentioned dual citizenship, only that Enrici was American by birth.

In any case, and not that it really matters other than to add to the pedantry, Enrici would have been technically a dual citizen, under Article 7, Law 555 "On Italian Citizenship", passed 13 June 1912, since he would have been born of an Italian father (jus sanguinus), in a jus soli country (USA).
Both Mark McM's question and your answer are informative and informed, so nicely done by both.