Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2019, 02:05 PM

As far as playing the west...the lakers wouldn't scare me as an opponent at all to be honest. AD hasn't looked like he belongs in the NBA when he's played JoJo. I'll take my chances with ben on James, and they're soft on defense. I really think AD is all hat and no spur when it comes to playing against physical centers.

The Clippers look hard boiled...we know from first hand experience what KL can do, and I think this Clippers supporting cast is notably better than Toronto. Better coached as well. Hopefully we'd figure out how to use size against a thoroughly modern team.

I don't see the rockets as a contender.

Denver is an interesting team...so much potential, and I think it could be this year. I like them and the clippers as the top two in the west. I don't think they'd have a huge inherent advantage with Philly, but they have to play the games. If Porter is as good as people think, the nuggests are a problem team.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:58 AM

Anyone watch the games last night?

I was working so I could only scan the box scores …

A few thoughts/questions.

1) Is the Warriors interior "D" really lacking? Zubac went for 16 and 10 in eighteen minutes. He's shown some skill when he was with the Lakers, but geez...

2) Really like that Sefolosha is with the Rockets. Kind of like having the Beatles back together again. Except for John Lennon and Pete Best. Also good to see Tyson Chandler still in the NBA. I think Russ and Harden are going to be in the top "must see" TV along with Doncic and Porzingis (COY) and Simmons/Embiid. Number one: Jokic.

3) Trae Young continues his ascendency. Put up serious numbers against the Pistons last night. Derrick Rose put up 27 in 25 minutes. Does that portend some kind of resurgence?
Old 10-25-2019, 09:11 AM

The narrative around this year was “wide open”, but I think we might look back in July and wonder how we thought anyone but the Clips were going to win it.

The Ws have one great defensive player and a bunch of average to minus defenders around him. They’re gonna have to outscore a lot of teams to win, which is why I have them missing the playoffs.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:13 AM

I think you'll be able to get some StubHub seats at the Chase Center pretty cheaply come Christmas and the New Year.

Not great when Kerr is setting expectations on opening night that this is the way the year's going to play out.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
The narrative around this year was “wide open”, but I think we might look back in July and wonder how we thought anyone but the Clips were going to win it.

The Ws have one great defensive player and a bunch of average to minus defenders around him. They’re gonna have to outscore a lot of teams to win, which is why I have them missing the playoffs.
Their oldest player is Steph curry. They have a lot of growing to do but I’m still holding on to a small hope of them getting the 8 seed, Klay coming back and Dlo being traded for some better talent (or better contract) and ruining someone’s run.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
I think you'll be able to get some StubHub seats at the Chase Center pretty cheaply come Christmas and the New Year.

Not great when Kerr is setting expectations on opening night that this is the way the year's going to play out.
Define "pretty cheaply."
Old 10-25-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Define "pretty cheaply."
A helluva lot cheaper than what the season ticket holders paid for 'em.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:

I think most of us thought the Clippers were the favorite this year. I did. It's wide open though in that if the Clippers lose KL, they're done. A team like GS last year could lose any one guy from their big 4, and still be a favorite to win. The odds of devastating injuries derailing them was lower IMO. It took two guys down to derail the Warriors.

Also...as good as the clippers are, they are a very "modern" team. They zigged best with everyone zigging, but against the Sixers, who made a hard ZAG...you could see them struggling in the interior. They're a favorite, but I don't think a prohibitive one...and I could see Denver taking it to them as well.

I think your winner is one of:

Clips
Sixers
Nuggets

Barring really shocking injuries.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:16 AM

Dallas is going to be a problem for people when they add some 3 and d. Doncic is a future MVP.

Honestly...if I were starting a franchise today...my first pick would be Doncic.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
I think most of us thought the Clippers were the favorite this year. I did. It's wide open though in that if the Clippers lose KL, they're done. A team like GS last year could lose any one guy from their big 4, and still be a favorite to win. The odds of devastating injuries derailing them was lower IMO. It took two guys down to derail the Warriors.

Also...as good as the clippers are, they are a very "modern" team. They zigged best with everyone zigging, but against the Sixers, who made a hard ZAG...you could see them struggling in the interior. They're a favorite, but I don't think a prohibitive one...and I could see Denver taking it to them as well.

Clips
Sixers
Nuggets

I’d have to add the bucks to the above. At least for parity sake of having 2 West and 2 East teams
Old 10-25-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Clips
Sixers
Nuggets

I think this is the only rational take - I’m just projecting into the future when the Clips have stormed through the playoffs and we wonder why we thought anyone else had a chance. Kinda like 2015 GSW.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I think this is the only rational take - I’m just projecting into the future when the Clips have stormed through the playoffs and we wonder why we thought anyone else had a chance. Kinda like 2015 GSW.
Interesting how quickly people abandoned the Lakers. I like AD far less than most, and I think Lebron showed mortality last season. THere's really no one else on their team that you love...especially defensively.

And Patrick Beverly is going to annoy the hell out of anyone's best player. If he annoys Lebron, I don't think they can do much else, and they can still deploy KL and George (assuming health).
Old 10-25-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Dallas is going to be a problem for people when they add some 3 and d. Doncic is a future MVP.

Honestly...if I were starting a franchise today...my first pick would be Doncic.
He's got competition in the guy he got traded for.

Trae won't play like he did against Detroit every night, but he's going to leave a lot of defenses in the trashcan. Guy was making shots from Grand Rapids last night.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:

He's really, really good.

I'd still take Giannis first. Followed by Jokic. And Simmons if he could develop a "j."
Old 10-25-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Clips
Sixers
Nuggets

Not including the Bucks is wishful thinking.