Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2020, 12:07 PM

syntace dropouts

Anyone have a frame that uses syntace dropouts? I like the look of them in general. Curious if people have any experience with them, good or bad.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:10 PM

i have one in my No22. works fine. no problems at all.
though i do remember a thread here where some builder did not like them for some reason. thought they were just crap. sorry, can't find that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Anyone have a frame that uses syntace dropouts? I like the look of them in general. Curious if people have any experience with them, good or bad.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:16 PM

I also have them. No complaints
Old 07-12-2020, 01:21 PM
Randomhead

Are you looking at bike that has them? I was thinking about using them back when Paragon didn't have a lot of options for through axle. I'm not a big fan of dropouts that bolt together like that, but a number of good builders use them.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:29 PM

Plenty of top builders use them. I’ve got them on my No22 and have a Paragon QR skewer holding the wheel in place. Given no the choice, I’d opt for them again.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Are you looking at bike that has them? I was thinking about using them back when Paragon didn't have a lot of options for through axle. I'm not a big fan of dropouts that bolt together like that, but a number of good builders use them.
thinking of getting a custom with thru axles. looking at the options and the paragon syntace ones look nice. I like the super thick hanger and slightly adjustable eccentric options.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:54 PM

Rodeo Labs uses X-12 thru axles and thinks they're the best and simplest.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:06 PM

Parts availability is also a consideration. A builder has told me that is one of the reasons they use Syntace. They can be found in stock at a lot of bike shops. Bonus for road trips/tours in a pinch if you happen to need one and are far from home.

I just stocked an extra hangar for my Rocky Mountain 29er (non-Syntace). Took 3 weeks to ship to a LBS. As a proprietary part, got me thinking, if they go belly up or decide to discontinue, well, good luck if you need a replacement.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
i have one in my No22. works fine. no problems at all.
though i do remember a thread here where some builder did not like them for some reason. thought they were just crap. sorry, can't find that thread.
This was the thread:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=249926

Around page 9 or 10 or so, Butch (one of the key builders at Moots for many years) commented that he was not a fan.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:15 PM

I built my 29'er with them, they're great. The hanger design is one of the better options out there, nice and stiff.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 07-12-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
This was the thread:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=249926

Around page 9 or 10 or so, Butch (one of the key builders at Moots for many years) commented that he was not a fan.
I believe his comment was based mostly on weight and not function. They do look quite burly, I wouldn't be surprised if they weigh significantly more than competing options.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
I believe his comment was based mostly on weight and not function. They do look quite burly, I wouldn't be surprised if they weigh significantly more than competing options.
Yeah, and then Tyler posts photos of Firefly’s 3D-printed dropouts which incorporate the Syntace thru-axle system. Not sure if it was intentional, but those dropouts are a striking contrast to the bulbous 3D-printed dropouts that Moots uses.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:39 PM

Are there issues with Syntace dropouts

Hi,

I had my Merlin in for service at my local bike shop. The mechanic seems extremely knowledgeable and they did a great job dialing in my bike (Shimano Di2) but he went off on the Syntace dropouts/derailer hangar. He told me it is impossible to secure the hanger in place based on the design and one bad shift or any extra tension in that area will put the hangar out of alignment. Is this a valid concern/opinion?

Also, I notice my axle is not a Syntace X-12 axle so I purchased one. Perhaps this provides the durability? Should I swap my axle. Does it matter? See attached pictures of hanger, current axle and new axle.

Thanks

Last edited by lsisle02; 03-31-2023 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Removed pictures since I needed them for another post