Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2023, 02:06 PM

Challenge Getaway

Hi All

Anybody have any experience with the Challenge Getaway tire? Specifically, I am interested in lifespan and durability. All the reviews I've read mention the casing is really supple. For some reason, I expect that this might mean the tire won't be too hard wearing and the tread will wear out somewhat quickly. I'm not sure if this is a justifiable belief, but for some reason I have it in my head (if this isn't really how things work, feel free to point that out!). I've had challenge tires in the past, and no majorly poor experiences, but I've got a set of baby limus tires I use for about ~90km per year, exclusively for CX racing, so I don't have a great idea of lifespan. Reviews don't seem to mention this either, and are split as to wether they expect the tire to last long or no so long. So yeah, overall I'm searching for impressions of the tire's longterm (>1500km) lifespan. General impressions of the tire are also welcomed! Thanks!
Old 06-08-2023, 03:30 PM

Challenge Getaway

Ride quality is very good. Durability and resistance to punctures is very bad.
I flatted one on my 2nd ride on it. Didn't even really hit anything. A small stick pictured the tire.
Since it was new, I patched the tire. I guess the good thing is that the patch worked.
Soon after, the tread started to delaminate. This rendered the tire useless.

Last thing to consider is what happens to these tires when you do puncture. They flatten out like their state in the package. This makes them really tough to remove, and also tough to get back together with the tube.

If you have not already guessed, I will not be buying another pair of these tires.
Old 06-08-2023, 03:44 PM

Well, boy am I glad I asked. Thanks for the review! Nearly pulled the trigger on some of these. Did you purchase these recently or a few years ago? To complicate things, people seem to think the tires from when they were first released were more fragile.

Tags
challenge, gravel, tires, tubeless