Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-06-2013, 08:12 AM

Ahh, ok, I will have to re-measure then... I measured center to top, not center to center, my bad. The brake hoods are Modolo, I'll try to make them last as long as I can, then look into ebay for some new ones, thanks. Thanks for all the tire suggestions, I'll have to start checking them all out, appreciate it. Thanks for the site for the Mavic components, I'll check to see if I can find any listed on there.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:54 AM

Can anyone please help me put a value to this Serotta?

Its a 1985 Serotta Nova Special. It's really a super cool bike. Lugged steel frame, Columbus SL tubing, all Mavic components, Sedis chain, Concor Supercorsa Confort saddle, SR Laprade seat post, Modolo brake hoods. All appropriate for the vintage, all period correct. Unsure of models on the Mavic components as of now, other than the rims which are MA40's. I believe this to be a Serotta size 55. It's really in wonderful condition, doesn't show much wear at all, all decals in tact, it was very well taken care of. Only thing it probably needs new tubes, and I'm thinking it may need tires, but not sure. I was going to look into something that would look appropriate, or take some time to find maybe something NOS that would be of the same period, but haven't really had the time. There is also some cracking in one of the hoods. Any help on the value on the bike as a whole would really be appreciated. Pictures can be seen at the link below. Thanks a lot!

http://s159.photobucket.com/user/smp...Nova%20Special
Old 09-11-2013, 08:58 AM

Decided to sell?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=135666
Old 09-11-2013, 08:59 AM
Administrator

i get tired pretty quickly of thinly veiled for-sale ads in the general discussion section.

the value of this bike is what happiness it brings the rider.

if you're looking for a monetary value to sell it, look on ebay for completed listings of similar vintage steel frames.

otherwise, try riding the bike, that's where the real "value" is.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:07 AM

Hi, no I didn't decide to sell it. Sorry angryscientist for the miscommunication. A friend of mine who is an insurance agent suggested to have it added to my HO policy, to cover it incase of fire or theft. So I am looking for a value on it. Has anyone else done this before?
Old 09-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smperkins View Post
Hi, no I didn't decide to sell it. Sorry angryscientist for the miscommunication. A friend of mine who is an insurance agent suggested to have it added to my HO policy, to cover it incase of fire or theft. So I am looking for a value on it. Has anyone else done this before?
sorry, i dont believe that story for a second. you found a bike in someone's garage, described it to the letter and want to add it to your homeowners insurance policy, and think you need an exact value for that? Sure.

if, per chance you are serious, the answer is that it's a mid 80's steel bike that you didnt pay any money for. adding it as an individual article on your HO policy is a dumb idea, i think you would be hard pressed to convince an adjuster that it's worth more than a few hundred dollars if you needed to file a claim, and that's probably covered under your blanket policy.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:27 AM

Ok, thanks for your opinion.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Ah, what the hell... I'll give you $700 for it plus packing/shipping (you get a GOOD local bike shop to pack/ship), if you can tell me the center-to-center measurements of the seat tube and top tube. You can probably get $950 for it if you're prepared to wait, but I can paypal today.

(Hey, Nick, I want a bike for Cino Eroica...)

Old 09-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Administrator

threads on the subject merged.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Epic=No Smiles

BTW, I'm only making this offer because

1) It will annoy forum member johnsegal if I out-Mavic him at Cino Eroica.
2) Look at the gobs of clearance and eyelets.

Offer expires at 6pm or when this thread is locked. Please read all terms and conditions. No warrantee express or implied.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:35 AM

Hi, thanks for the offer, but I'm not selling it. Was just curious about a value on it, I don't really know bikes like that. Someone told me to come to this forum to ask for info on it. Appreciate it though.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smperkins View Post
Hi, thanks for the offer, but I'm not selling it. Was just curious about a value on it, I don't really know bikes like that.
You should sell it to someone who would appreciate a nearly perfect condition
30 year old classic bike. By today's standards of performance and
convenience, the brakes and gears are like driving a model T.
If you're just going to ride it around, there are much better choices,
since it won't remain pristine for very long.

-g
Old 09-11-2013, 10:06 AM

yea, I get what you're saying, but I still would like to hang on to it. It was a family members, and I do appreciate the age and condition, and story of it. I'd like to learn more about it and bikes in general. Thanks though.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:48 PM

If your homeowner's policy allows it, get replacement value coverage on all your personal possessions. In my case, it cost very little more to have it.

When I had a bike stolen, my replacement coverage got me a brand new bike of the same brand and model as the old one. As my bike was 5 years old, the new bike cost 2x what I paid for the stolen one. I'm not sure what they would do in this case, as Serotta no longer builds steel, and Mavic doesn't make most of the components anymore. I would think you could negotiate for a US made lugged steel bike. Most new US made lugged frames would cost considerably more than your bike is worth, I would think. Since you didn't buy it new, you should find out what documentation of ownership they require before something happens to it.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:17 PM

new owner

Evidently the frame and components were split for sale.

I just bought the frame on Ebay and the Mavic SSC group is offered there, see http://stores.ebay.com/blueprintbikes/

I'll probably ask a local shop to cold set the frame for 130 mm rear hubs, although at least with 531c I’m well used to fitting 126 dropouts over 130 hubs. I have some Campy Centaur 10 speed components to put on it.

BTW I have been a persistent lurker here but this is my first post.

Tags
columbus, mavic, nova special, serotta, serotta nova special