Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2013, 10:48 AM

Question Can anyone provide any info on this Serotta Nova Special?

Hi all, this is my first time here. I recently inherited this Serotta Nova Special, that I dug out of the back of a family members garage. I was hoping some people here may be able to provide more info on it and the components/parts. I'm not sure of the year, but I just emailed Serotta with the serial number, so hopefully they will be able to tell me given that. It looks like it has Columbus tubing and fork, and all Mavic components, but I'm not sure how to tell the models. Also has a SR Laprade seatpost and Concor Supercorsa Confort saddle. I'm also torn between keeping it and giving it a new home as I think it is on the larger end for me, but I'm not sure. Either way, I couldn't let it just sit in that garage collecting dust, it needs to be back out on the road. I cleaned it up a bit, and it looks to be in really good shape, may just need a tune up, new tubes, and maybe tires. It really is a sweet bike. The size is a 57 cm and I am about 5'10'' with 32" inseam, would this be too big for me? If I do decide to give it a new home, I was wondering what the value of it may be as a whole, and then also the value of the individual components if I were to part it out. I have some ideas based on a little research, but thought it would be good to get some way more knowledgeable opinions. Any info anyone can provide on the history, specs, or in general or the value will really be appreciated. Below is a link to some photos. I'd suggest starting on the 2nd page, where it shows the whole bike. Thanks so much!

http://s159.photobucket.com/user/smp...Nova%20Special
Old 09-03-2013, 10:59 AM

Awesome bike, welcome! I would guess that it is pretty close to the right size for you, and definitely worth trying to make fit since it's such a killer bike.

It would probably be worth more parted out as that Mavic stuff has a bit of a following and it all appears to be in great condition. Somebody (like me, if I the frame fit) would probably like to buy the frame/fork and upgrade with more modern parts.

Check ebay completed listings for an idea on the value of the Mavic stuff. Figure the frame / fork is worth somewhere in the $300-500 range, but that's just a guess... more knowledgeable folks will hopefully chime in.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:31 AM

As 4Rings6Stars said, that Mavic stuff has quite the following. Even seems to have the Mavic headset.

If you were going to sell, parting it out would probably be your best bet, though it is a fantastic looking bike and if it fits, keep it and ride the darn thing.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:39 AM

Great bike. I can't tell you the exact year. I think they switched to fastback seat stays in 1987, so 1983 - 1985 would be my guess. The oval ST decal wasn't around for long, but I don't recall the exact year. Your serial number would probably give the year.

No way would I take the Mavic stuff off and put modern on it.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Vendor

I think this is one of the times when a complete bike is worth more than the sum of it's parts. I would not suggest parting it out. The frame appears to be in great shape and the components appropriate for the vintage. This is the value.
As a frame alone, the Serotta Nova Special is not a high priced item but as a complete "period correct" bike it should have a few interested buyers.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:27 PM

The serial number on the bb will give you the age of the frame. First number will be year, second number(s) will be month, and last number(s) will be which frame builr during the month.

With the decal style and tubing it probably falls somewhere between 83-85. But that's just a guess.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:28 PM

That bike is in stunning condition. Looks like absolutely no wear on the chainrings.... but I guess they made them tough in those days.

Too pretty as a package to part out.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:29 PM

There is a picture of the BB and the serial number is 5806 - so it's a 1985?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
The serial number on the bb will give you the age of the frame. First number will be year, second number(s) will be month, and last number(s) will be which frame builr during the month.

With the decal style and tubing it probably falls somewhere between 83-85. But that's just a guess.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:25 PM

the bike was the 6th bike built in August 1985. Sorry I didn't see the photo with the number.

Just curious what's the top tube length?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
The size is a 57 cm and I am about 5'10'' with 32" inseam, would this be too big for me?
I wouldn't say so -- I'm just about exactly your size, and my 57cm Nova Special X fits me very well. I also like to ride 56cm seat-tube frames, but I need long seatposts and 90-degree stems to make them work.

I'd say, ride it!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:56 AM

Hi all, thanks a lot for all the replies, I really appreciate all the input. It really is a magnificent bike, and in wonderful shape. There is not much wear at all, it was literally sitting in the back of a garage for years and years, all I did was clean it up a bit. And before that, knowing the person who previously owned it, I'm sure it was very well taken care of. With the responses on the fit, I think I'm am going to keep it and try riding it for a while, see how it feels.. I'd love to be able to keep it on the road.

That being said, I think it is still good to understand the value of it all, so thanks for the replies on that too. If I do ever end up letting it go, I don't think I could bring myself to part it out... they've been together for so long, I'd feel bad/sad separating them all, they belong together LOL. If anyone here would be interested in it, if I ever do decide to sell it, let me know, and I will keep your contact info in case.

The top tube length is 21.5", so a little over 54.5 cm. That is measuring from the center of the seat tube to the center of the head tube, I think that is how you measure, is that correct?

Does anyone have any suggestions for preventing the one break hood from continuing to tear? Also, does anyone have any suggestions on tubes, and tires that would look appropriate on the bike? Just curious, is there any way to tell the ages and models of all or any of the parts?

Thanks for the help on dating it also, and thanks again for all the comments!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:45 PM

You are measuring the TT correctly. A stock 57 cm Serotta of that vintage had a 56 cm top tube. It could be a custom though. Are you measuring 57 cm from center of BB spindle to center of top tube?

I don't know Mavic components very well. You might find some of the parts listed at velobase.com. There is usually an age range for each component.

Those are probably Modolo made hoods. Once they get dry, there's not a lot you can do with them. You might be able to squirt some adhesive in under the cracked area with a plastic syringe. Might hold well enough to keep it from getting worse.

As for tires, you might look for some Continentals with brown sidewalls. They might be quite a bit newer than the bike, but would still look appropriate. NOS vintage tires turn up on ebay quite a bit. Are they clinchers or tubulars? I just got some nice NOS Wolber tubulars from ebay. I have a bunch of NOS wire bead clinchers, but they are all very narrow, 19 mm or so. You might check some LBSs that have been around for a while. You might turn up a pair. I've had varying luck with old tires. Some have been fine, but I've seen them dry and crumbly too.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:08 AM

Tires -- there are the Continentals mentioned above, and Vittoria SCs, Challenges, Grands Boises (or however you pluralize that) -- plenty to choose from that will look appropriate and ride super-nice.

Congratulations on your decision to keep it and ride it. If it's a matter of a handlebar stem or something else minor, to fine-tune the fit, I think you'll find it a good investment.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:17 AM

You may want to remeasure the st length given that the top tube measures 54.5. If that's the case and it's a stock geo frame you very likely have a 55. Serotta's are measured center to center. My Club Special is from that era. As the others have said cool bike!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:29 AM

Nice bike! I would agree that the Mavic stuff is special and that it would be a shame to part it out.

As for the brake hoods, they do look like they were probably made by Modolo. I would not squirt adhesive in there, those hoods are disintegrating and it could make a mess of the levers. Since the Modolo hoods fit Campy NR/SR levers, hoods made for them should fit these. Available on ebay, something like this

I've never tried any of the aftermarket hoods on my Campy NR levers, others may know of good suppliers for these. Probably around $50/pair; should last longer than the originals (better materials).

Tags
columbus, mavic, nova special, serotta, serotta nova special