Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamacleod View Post
Evidently the frame and components were split for sale.
I'm shocked... just totally shocked.

Angry smelled him out...
Old 10-10-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamacleod View Post
I have some Campy Centaur 10 speed components to put on it.
Good idea. I bought a used Serotta Davis Phinney from 1990 with Campy Centaur 10-speed and I am loving it.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Gotta say that the AngryScientist nailed this one.

smperkins (aka perkinstradingcompany) listed the whole bike here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Serotta...p2047675.l2557

Then blueprint_bikes_texas accepted the best offer for the frameset here but with a modification "The center cable guide on the top tube broke off while in a work stand. Minor paint chips on drive side chainstay from transport"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-Early-5...p2047675.l2557
Old 10-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McLean View Post
You should sell it to someone who would appreciate a nearly perfect condition 30 year old classic bike. By today's standards of performance and convenience, the brakes and gears are like driving a model T. If you're just going to ride it around, there are much better choices, since it won't remain pristine for very long.

-g
Yep. Bike was damaged a bit when shipping and one of the brake cable guide was broken off when the guy was stripping off the parts to sell on eBay.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
You can probably get $950 for it if you're prepared to wait, but I can paypal today.
I wonder what $999 less ebay fees is.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Hey guys, I inherited this lego horse from my uncle Sven. Can anyone tell me anything about it? It's really sentimental, because my uncle was also made of Lego.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Animal-...#ht_2046wt_894
Old 10-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I wonder what $999 less ebay fees is.
The full bike didn't actually sell through eBay and the buyer must have cut a deal after the auction ended to sell it outside of eBay.

And yes, smperkins is a major eBay seller with 232 active auctions right now. He/she is also a big fat liar!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/perkinstradingcompany

Stated on 11 September and the bike was already on eBay:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smperkins View Post
Hi, no I didn't decide to sell it...

Last edited by Keith A; 10-10-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Well, you at least have to give him some points for being creative in his attempts to skip the forum rules and minimum post counts..............

NOT!!!

William
Old 10-10-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Hi, no I didn't decide to sell it. Sorry angryscientist for the miscommunication. A friend of mine who is an insurance agent suggested to have it added to my HO policy, to cover it incase of fire or theft. So I am looking for a value on it. Has anyone else done this before?
Quote:
yea, I get what you're saying, but I still would like to hang on to it. It was a family members, and I do appreciate the age and condition, and story of it. I'd like to learn more about it and bikes in general.
Bike was sold by this scumbag for somewhere around $1K, and looks like it will be parted out for much more...

Karma's a b*tch.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Hey guys, I inherited this lego horse from my uncle Sven. Can anyone tell me anything about it? It's really sentimental, because my uncle was also made of Lego.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Animal-...#ht_2046wt_894
Your uncle's nickname wasn't Mÿeggø by any chance, was it?
Old 10-10-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
Bike was sold by this scumbag for somewhere around $1K, and looks like it will be parted out for much more...

Karma's a b*tch.
I thought at the time this guy was for real. Sad that someone feels they need to go this route to get answers.
The world is full of phonies and deceitful people like smperkins. Sad.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:16 PM

tire clearance

I received this frame (my first Serotta) today, and was pleasantly surprised by the generous tire clearance. The chainstays are 44 mm apart where the tire runs between them! The brake bridge also allows 38 mm tires (without fenders). Is this the standard Serotta Nova spec, or would it be custom? With most mid 80s 'competition' bikes I wouldn't expect to fit anything over 25 mm.

Also the chainstays are long: 43 to 45 cm from the BB center, depending on position in the dropout, more like a Nova Series spec than Nova Special spec (referring to the 1985 catalog posted by Keith A). This is consistent with presence of eyelets on this frame as per Nova Series Spec, yet it does has Nova Special style shifter bosses and decals. Any thoughts?
Old 10-18-2013, 07:36 PM

See his other post:
smperkins 9/4

Personally I sell on eBay a lot, and I can't speak for other sellers, but every morning I will pack up sold items from the previous evening, and print the shipping labels, and then either the carrier picks them up or I will drop them off depending on shipping method. The tracking #(s) is/are uploaded into the system, and an automated message is sent to the buyer's email registered with eBay stating it has been shipped. I don't send personal notes to each buyer, unless they contact me with some type of special instructions, but they all get the automated message. As others have said check the shipping details in the listing, the seller should specify handling time. Also as others have said, feedback is a good indication of what to expect.. most of the time you can tell if someone is a quick shipper with good communication or the opposite. I've also had an issue before where I bought something and the seller went on vacation and never put his vacation notice up. I'd say the majority of sellers on there that sell a lot are good with that kind of stuff, but you will run into slackers here and there. If you can try to stick to sellers with Top Rated Seller status because there are incentives for them to keep that status, such as discounts on fees, higher boosts in the best match search, and you get the Top Rated seal on your listings, which carries more trust and brings in more sales. There is a handful of various criteria you have to meet to be a Top Rated Seller, such as high detailed ratings, shipping within your stated time, uploading tracking, high feedback ratings, so you know they will work hard to take care of you. But with the Top Rated sellers you may pay a little more, because they can usually get a premium for their items because they are more trusted by buyers. Not saying don't buy stuff from other sellers, I do all the time, but just saying if you want to guarantee the better customer service. Just my thoughts...

I Opt to Ban smperkins !!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemondvictoire View Post
I don't think we'll need to do so...he came here and got what he wanted and hasn't been back since his last post. I would personally like to see him come back and answer for his lies...but I doubt that will happen.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemondvictoire View Post
See his other post:
smperkins 9/4

Personally I sell on eBay a lot, and I can't speak for other sellers, but every morning I will pack up sold items from the previous evening, and print the shipping labels, and then either the carrier picks them up or I will drop them off depending on shipping method. The tracking #(s) is/are uploaded into the system, and an automated message is sent to the buyer's email registered with eBay stating it has been shipped. I don't send personal notes to each buyer, unless they contact me with some type of special instructions, but they all get the automated message. As others have said check the shipping details in the listing, the seller should specify handling time. Also as others have said, feedback is a good indication of what to expect.. most of the time you can tell if someone is a quick shipper with good communication or the opposite. I've also had an issue before where I bought something and the seller went on vacation and never put his vacation notice up. I'd say the majority of sellers on there that sell a lot are good with that kind of stuff, but you will run into slackers here and there. If you can try to stick to sellers with Top Rated Seller status because there are incentives for them to keep that status, such as discounts on fees, higher boosts in the best match search, and you get the Top Rated seal on your listings, which carries more trust and brings in more sales. There is a handful of various criteria you have to meet to be a Top Rated Seller, such as high detailed ratings, shipping within your stated time, uploading tracking, high feedback ratings, so you know they will work hard to take care of you. But with the Top Rated sellers you may pay a little more, because they can usually get a premium for their items because they are more trusted by buyers. Not saying don't buy stuff from other sellers, I do all the time, but just saying if you want to guarantee the better customer service. Just my thoughts...

Well, the above is actually somewhat useful information... surprising.

... unlike the 'story' he concocted to either sell the bike outside of the Forum classifieds restrictions or... failing that, to get a free appraisal for his subsequent eBay sale.

Doubt he'll be back, banned or not. He's already got what he wanted.

Tags
columbus, mavic, nova special, serotta, serotta nova special