Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2019, 05:29 PM

Davis Phinney

With the other thread here about Taylor, I started thinking about his Dad. I saw him race several times and was a fan-boy. Still have a cool 7-11 poster of him in my workshop.

I was aghast when I heard about the Parkinson's and have followed him and his family as they have dealt with this. His book, The Happiness of Pursuit is a great read if you need something to do this winter.

I just ran across this and thought I'd share. A great athlete and a great inspiration. I'm a supporter.

https://www.facebook.com/DPFnd/video...9649848/?t=234
Old 10-19-2019, 05:56 PM

Neurological disorders suck. I have friends with Parkinson's and MS. My mother died of ALS.
Good book ALS related, is I Remember Running.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:40 PM

Guy has barely aged.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:25 PM

Put me down as a fan of the "Cash Register".
Old 10-19-2019, 07:35 PM

he was at the growling beaver brevet with his wife.... they are both still looking good.pics here

https://mariposabicycles.ca/blog/201...r-brevet-2019/

Old 10-19-2019, 10:22 PM

This is a good shot of Davis & Connie...

Old 10-20-2019, 06:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

David and Connie are good people..It was a pleasure to work for him in the early 90s(Morgul-Bismark)..he and Kiefel too. They were part owners.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:22 AM
50 bpm

Short story. My mom, then 79, and I were at the Ride for the Roses and I left her at the hotel while I went off on the celebrity ride. When I came back, she was sitting in the restaurant with two people, laughing and having fun. "I'd like you to meet my new friends," she said. "This is Connie, and this is Davis."

She had no idea who they were.

Connie said, "We have been having the best time with your mom!"

I'll never forget that moment. Such really good people.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:13 AM

Too funny.
Well hello my cyclist son. Please come meet MY friends Davis Phinney and Connie Carpenter Phinney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Short story. My mom, then 79, and I were at the Ride for the Roses and I left her at the hotel while I went off on the celebrity ride. When I came back, she was sitting in the restaurant with two people, laughing and having fun. "I'd like you to meet my new friends," she said. "This is Connie, and this is Davis."

She had no idea who they were.

Connie said, "We have been having the best time with your mom!"

I'll never forget that moment. Such really good people.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:18 AM

I had the opportunity to meet Davis a few times back during my Serotta days when we sponsored the Coors Light team. Davis would take it on himself to visit the factory for a few days post season and just hang at the factory and get his hands dirty in the shop. I can still see him with his hands in the big rubber gloves going at it with the sandblaster getting frames ready for paint. Some of the guys at Serotta were not cyclists and really had no idea who Davis was but he wasn't put off by this in the slightest.

Typically we'd shut down the shop early one afternoon and go for a ride with Davis and these rides were short and slow and wonderful.

The grace and dignity he held while visiting and his respect for every single person at the factory is something I'll never forget.

dave
Old 10-20-2019, 10:07 AM

Wow...great stories guys.

Elefantino, love the one about your Mom.

David, it has never crossed my mind that any workers at Serotta might not be cyclists. Guessed I always assumed everyone there had to be a bike freak.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
Wow...great stories guys.

Elefantino, love the one about your Mom.

David, it has never crossed my mind that any workers at Serotta might not be cyclists. Guessed I always assumed everyone there had to be a bike freak.
I hear you. When I first interviewed for the job I really didn't meet that many people from the production floor and when I started the job I was very surprised to find that most of the guys working on the floor weren't cyclists....not even casual cyclists....didn't own a bike. There were lots cigarettes smoked at break time. I'd had this picture in my head of hammmerfest rides after work and hoping that I could hang. That was not a problem.

We had real issues with the fact that the guys making some of the best bikes money could buy didn't know that much about that they were building. Simple things like a cable guide being installed backward and making in through the paint shop were common and hugely expensive....stripping a bike for a cable guide eats big cash.

Over time we came to realize that we needed cyclists if at all possible. These riders knew the basics about bikes and knew what the brand meant out in the cycling world and this made a huge difference. By the time I left the company 10 years later most of the folks working there were riders.

dave
Old 10-21-2019, 10:33 AM

Very interesting insights...thanks Dave!
Old 10-21-2019, 08:14 PM

Phinney was a fierce competitor when you pinned a number on him. 10 minutes after the race he was one of the nicest riders out there. That's as good as it gets.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
David and Connie are good people..It was a pleasure to work for him in the early 90s(Morgul-Bismark)..he and Kiefel too. They were part owners.
Was Randy Gaffney also a part of that effort . . . ? I knew Randy from Iowa where I started my first bike shop in Grinnell.

R.