Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2019, 06:33 PM

Norelco Prestige
Old 10-17-2019, 07:46 PM

Went through several Norelcos before discovering the Braun. On my second Series 7 now, gives an excellent shave. Goes two weeks without a charge, too. Replace the head every year, tap out the hairs every day, use the cleaner base once a week.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:10 PM

I’ve had a braun for 17 years! The battery does not hold charge anymore, but I use it wired. Also amazingly this company still sells the screen/blade sets for this series. A rare occurrence in program obsolescence era.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:19 PM

I've been mostly using electric shavers for 60 years. I had several periods using "safety razors" from Gillette and others during Army service and camping trips but I always came back to an electric. What we have to recognize is that the shaver one man "swears by" will be the one another guy swears at so try to experiment with ones you can return if they don't work for you. It may take you a few tries to get "THE ONE"! Ta-Da!
Old 10-17-2019, 08:43 PM

My Dad had an older one and bought a more modern and state of the art one. This was around Christmas time and we were discussing the difference and he passed the older model to me and said here I want you to have this. I said thanks and he then replied he called it the Piranha. Funny guy.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I've been mostly using electric shavers for 60 years. I had several periods using "safety razors" from Gillette and others during Army service and camping trips but I always came back to an electric. What we have to recognize is that the shaver one man "swears by" will be the one another guy swears at so try to experiment with ones you can return if they don't work for you. It may take you a few tries to get "THE ONE"! Ta-Da!
60 years? How old were you when you started shaving? Just askin'.

Last edited by Frankwurst; 10-17-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankwurst View Post
60 years? How old were you when you started shaving? Just askin'.
15 or 16 for sure. I'm OLD!
Old 10-18-2019, 01:38 AM

Go wet *and* electric.

A wet/dry electric in the shower with plenty of soap gives you the same "clean" feeling you get after a blade shave, and skin irritation is non-existent.

I've been using wet/dry Panasonic's for years. Here is a typical example for seventy bucks:

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Ele...a-632025467957

You can spend three figures on a wet/dry electric (I did at first), but the shave won't be better. My wife got me the one I'm using now for Christmas two or three years ago and I think it cost something like $26. *It shaves exactly the same* as the more expensive models. At that price if it stops working one day, who cares?

Maintennance is easy too. Just pop the screen off and rinse the razor under the shower head after you use it, and it's always perfectly clean.

Last edited by dgauthier; 10-18-2019 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:06 AM

hey guys I started using an electric razor like 12 years ago. first with a foil braun and then with a Phillips/norelco. anyway my barber shop had used a walh 5 star electric razor for some time to clean up a face. then they started using an ANDIS PRO FOIL razor. anyway long story short I bought one of those razors. a great buy. on eBay for like $50. so powerful l even if I skip a day of shaving. I cannot said enough b out the razor. that being said, like everything else in lfie the down side is that. the foil is very thin and wears out quickly. otherwise a great razor.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:59 AM
hoolered

Thanks for the feedback, everybody. These $50.00 - $75.00 units intrigue me. Furthermore, it sounds like an electric shaver isn’t the “magic bullet” for my grooming process. I’m interpreting from y’all that shaving for 30 seconds and expecting great results isn’t realistic.

I might have to stick with my current process for now but I’ll update here if anything changes! Thanks again!
Old 10-19-2019, 12:42 PM

Braun Series 3-340. I think I've had it for at least ten-twelve years and still going strong. I've tried others...but nothing has worked better and longer than the Braun. Foil heads are easy to find but the blades/cutters are not. Ebay bails me out but you have to beware of scammers.

Last edited by Hawker; 10-19-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:17 PM

I have used the Brauns for years. Just replace the head ($30) every year or so.

Periodically I try the Phillips Norelco and am always disappointed. The newest ones run very slow and just do not cut.