Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2019, 08:30 AM

If Shimano was good enough for Andrea Tafi, John Museeuw and Michele Bartoli on Colnagos, then you'll get by just fine with it.

Just get Ultegra or Dura Ace and be done with it. Current Silver Campagnolo isn't their top tier user experience and makes compromises in lieu of a 30 year old aesthetic sensibility.

Put what you want on there and ride it.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:42 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
If Shimano was good enough for Andrea Tafi, John Museeuw and Michele Bartoli on Colnagos, then you'll get by just fine with it.

Just get Ultegra or Dura Ace and be done with it. Current Silver Campagnolo isn't their top tier user experience and makes compromises in lieu of a 30 year old aesthetic sensibility.

Put what you want on there and ride it.
No doubt but the OP is asking for opinions, discussion..I am SURE he will put 'what he wants' on this Colnago.

BTW-looking for some 'silver'..not much among 'modern' DA or Ultegra. 1989 Campagnolo? 30years..I'd say today's Centaur is WAY better than 1989 CDA or A-B Chorus of that era...decent Campag, indexed that worked, not until late 91/1992....
Quote:
but given a blank slate, am looking for feedback/input on Campy options for this build. It would be my first. I figure if I go "modern" (i.e. 11 speed), I can use my existing 11 speed shimano/sram cassettes...I have a couple lying around.

Online, I can get a Centaur grouppo (new) for <$600. Any other thoughts? A silver build for a classic Colnago MXL? Any strong opinions?

Ok - let me have it!
Old 10-17-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
No doubt but the OP is asking for opinions, discussion..I am SURE he will put 'what he wants' on this Colnago.

BTW-looking for some 'silver'..not much among 'modern' DA or Ultegra. 1989 Campagnolo? 30years..I'd say today's Centaur is WAY better than 1989 CDA or A-B Chorus of that era...decent Campag, indexed that worked, not until late 91/1992....
All true, but Centaur a better and less compromised group than Ultegra or Dura Ace? Nah.

Aesthetics mean a lot, I get it. But slavish devotion to a sense of style that died right around the time Jan Ullrich was stuffing himself into the world champion stripes means closing some unnecessary doors.

If you're a SRAM/Shimano house and like their stuff, no need to overthink it imo.

But life's short and we should all ride what we want. This is the same place that mocks the Velominati rules but gets up in arms anytime an Italian frame has anything other than Campagnolo on it. But only the "right" retro fetish Campagnolo. Not the stuff the company currently produces that leads the way in mechanical groupsets. Cognitive dissonance is fun!
Old 10-17-2019, 09:04 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
All true, but Centaur a better and less compromised group than Ultegra or Dura Ace? Nah.

Aesthetics mean a lot, I get it. But slavish devotion to a sense of style that died right around the time Jan Ullrich was stuffing himself into the world champion stripes means closing some unnecessary doors.

If you're a SRAM/Shimano house and like their stuff, no need to overthink it imo.

But life's short and we should all ride what we want. This is the same place that mocks the Velominati rules but gets up in arms anytime an Italian frame has anything other than Campagnolo on it. But only the "right" retro fetish Campagnolo. Not the stuff the company currently produces that leads the way in mechanical groupsets. Cognitive dissonance is fun!
Geez, the guy said he wants a silver group...don't think he's Slavic..from MA, maybe..
Quote:
Ancient Roman sources refer to the Early Slavic peoples as Veneti, who dwelt in a region of central Europe east of the Germanic tribe of Suebi, and west of the Iranian Sarmatians in the 1st and 2nd centuries AD.
He asked about Centaur...his question, not mine.

Pretty sure, once again, he will use 'what he wants'..If ya want to make this a shimano vs Campag discussion, well..BTDT..it's not even cold out yet.

BUT, again,
Quote:
but given a blank slate, am looking for feedback/input on Campy options for this build. It would be my first. I figure if I go "modern" (i.e. 11 speed), I can use my existing 11 speed shimano/sram cassettes...I have a couple lying around.

Online, I can get a Centaur grouppo (new) for <$600. Any other thoughts? A silver build for a classic Colnago MXL? Any strong opinions?

Ok - let me have it!

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-17-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:17 AM

And I shared mine.

Only one getting up in arms about it ain't me at the moment.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/slavish

Quote:
copying obsequiously or without originality
I woulda called it basic, but that woulda flown over so many heads here.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:57 AM
Meh

Silver Campy Potenza is good. I wish the shift paddles weren't plastic, but it's still pretty good.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:04 PM

For me, a "classic" build means downtube shifters. Go modern silver on the rest of the group?

I'd probably mix brands. 10 or 11 speed Campy crank, or go aftermarket like IRD classic looking crankset. I prefer polished silver to matte so I'd likely keep it 10 speed rear, Shimano 6600/7800 derailleurs. Maybe some of those gum hood new style aero levers like TRP drillium or tone it down with Cane Creek. Keep it simple on the wheels. Modern box section TB14 rims on whatever shiny silver hub floats your boat. Round bend bar, silver cockpit, maybe even try to find a shimano/campy aero post.

/dream build
Old 10-17-2019, 12:31 PM
Total Fred

I'd love to see Shimano release a modern take on the Sante group and aim it towards the retro rebuild market.

Tai
Old 10-17-2019, 02:16 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
And I shared mine.

Only one getting up in arms about it ain't me at the moment.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/slavish

I woulda called it basic, but that woulda flown over so many heads here.
But ‘30 years ago’?? Yikes, pick a better generation.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stien View Post
For me, a "classic" build means downtube shifters. Go modern silver on the rest of the group?
Master X Light would be mid-90s, right? So 8 or possibly 9 speed Ergo would be correct.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 10-18-2019, 11:30 AM

this is what I did with mine. sorry old potato, shimano all the way.
(I also own a Rolex...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1267.jpg (126.6 KB, 75 views)
Old 10-18-2019, 11:43 AM

Orange!

Liking the Orange/Shimano action...food for thought...
Old 10-18-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aingeru View Post
this is what I did with mine.
Interesting painted fork. Don't see many Masters like that.
+1 for being unique.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:46 PM

new master light with potenza

I hope the image of my Master Light with Potenza shows up here (I am tech limited).

The Potenza is polished aluminum and, I think, looks perfect on my Molteni Master Light!

No joy. no photo...see page 3 or 4 of the thread below for Molteni Master Light with Potenza

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...8&postcount=55

Last edited by pobrien; 10-18-2019 at 10:47 PM. Reason: added link to photos
Old 10-18-2019, 01:00 PM

potenza...

can't wait to see the photos - espec. w molteni style.