Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2019, 01:00 PM

Your Bike or Your Motorcycle?

Here in GA I'm lucky that we do have an extended riding season. Although we set a new record this year for the number of 90 degree days and I'm no longer a fan of that kind of heat and humidity.

All that to say, I've been riding bikes seriously since the 70s and motorcycles since '95 and frankly...I have a heck of a time choosing between the two. Or as my wife refers to it; "the collision of the hobbies".

I need the bike to maintain some conditioning for my body and my heart. But the MC has it's own pleasures and can be very addictive.

It's cold and rainy here today...so just thought I'd see who else has this malady?
Old 10-19-2019, 01:03 PM

Yes.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:16 PM
Head to Ned

The obvious answer is BOTH. On a beautiful Fall day like today in New England,
I would go out and pedal around 10am. Then with tired legs but adventurous spirit head out on the Moto after lunch for another 3-4 hours.

Life is GOOD!
Old 10-19-2019, 01:18 PM
Administrator

truth.

not enough time in my life!

at some point, i want to fabricate something like this to make the most of long good weather weekends!

Old 10-19-2019, 03:20 PM

My Bike hands-down!

Not to say that I have not thought about this for hours and also, not to say that I don't have a great MC (2014 Ducati 796!). My girlfriend has a 696. She saw how happy I was with riding and wanted her own piece.

That said, a motorcycle ride, thrilling as it can be, ends almost as soon as you get off the bike. A good bicycle ride lingers in your head for the next 4-6 hours and makes you a much nicer person to be around.

The Ducati needed service a month ago and I seriously thought about just letting that part of my life go...it's paid for though and really fun so I decided to do the right thing and keep the motorcycle. Some part of that was that when I floated the idea to my gf, there was no purchase. She was not at all interested.

So, the bikes sit in the garage looking-good and we ride bikes every morning!
Old 10-19-2019, 05:21 PM
Descent fitness

I seesaw back and forth, but find my best balance when I figure on a 2:1 ratio of time spent on the bike:MC in any given fair-weather month. In the winter, MC goes away, and the road and muddy bikes get the time.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:33 PM

Except...when I'm on the MC and I pass cyclists I feel guilty. When I'm on the bike and motorcyclists pass me...I'm a bit envious. I thought about wearing my full face motorcycle helmet while on the bicycle to combine both...but people already make fun of me because of my "spandex".
Old 10-19-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
My Bike hands-down!

Not to say that I have not thought about this for hours and also, not to say that I don't have a great MC (2014 Ducati 796!). My girlfriend has a 696. She saw how happy I was with riding and wanted her own piece.

Yikes...keep that girl!
Old 10-19-2019, 07:04 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Have been without a motorcycle for years and quite eager to purchase a new one and ride again.
A relentlessly increasing prevalence of huge potholes has influenced me to delay until I live elsewhere.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:13 PM

Obviously a bike "does your body good" but I used to regularly rode 200+ miles on my motorcycle vs. 25-60 miles on my bicycle. We have wonderful weather but fun interesting roads aren't very common and many of them start 25 miles or so from my home. Switching between the two kept rides more interesting and I found some cool biking places on my motorcycle rides. Sometimes I would put my bike in the car and drive to places too far from home for a day out and back bike ride.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
truth.

not enough time in my life!

at some point, i want to fabricate something like this to make the most of long good weather weekends!

Yo Nick! When you are ready to do this I think I have a donor tray for you to use. A friend gave me a Thule tray a while back when I was toying with the idea of making a similar rig on my Zuma. I decided against it but still have the tray in my shed, just need to locate it.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:55 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

I ride motos for transportation more often than I ride for pleasure. I put 100k miles on a pair of BMWs, but I discovered that riding the moto didn't do much for the roll round my middle.

I have another 2004 R1150RT that I traded a Ducati ST3 for, but it isn't registered or insured. I keep thinking about trying to sell it, but it's nice knowing it's there.

Also have a Husky TE250/450 that needs not one but 2 engines rebuilt. That was something I really really wanted when living in CO, but couldn't afford to fix. Now that I'm in NoVA where there's no dirt within TE250 riding distance, it's still a 'round to it.'

I ride my bicycles much more often now that I'm over 50. Keeps the roll round the middle away

M
Old 10-19-2019, 08:11 PM

I haven't been without a motorcycle in the last 30 years. We still have a couple of them in the garage but they haven't see much use the last few years. I think about selling them but know I would probably regret it. We did buy 2 of these in the spring and have been enjoying puttering around back roads.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:17 AM

I took a motorcycle training course in 2004, so I could be legally licensed in Colorad. I bought a Suzuki SV-650 as a starter bike. I rode the same routes into the mountains as I usually rode on my bike, but much longer total trip mileage. I only kept the motorcycle for a year, mainly due to my wife's objections.

I did find the full face helmet and other protective gear kind of stifling and overly hot in the summer.

I learned a lot about how a motorcycle and a bicycle steer from taking that training course. I never had a problem negotiating the tightly twisting mountain roads.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
I haven't been without a motorcycle in the last 30 years. We still have a couple of them in the garage but they haven't see much use the last few years. I think about selling them but know I would probably regret it. We did buy 2 of these in the spring and have been enjoying puttering around back roads.
Sweet! I have a bunch of Honda minis from the 70s, but they are all back in CA. I want one of these so bad, but no idea how much I would actually ride them in NYC.