Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2019, 08:32 PM

Distracted Driving

I know must of us get the impact of technology/cell phone useage while driving....for an informative, true, gripping story on the topic I highly recommend this book. I’m making some family members read it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 290A97E6-346C-4E3A-B331-52B693688230.jpg (51.8 KB, 218 views)
Old 10-18-2019, 08:50 PM

I promote "A Deadly Wandering" whenever the subject of distracted driving comes up on the forums.

Read it, and even if you can't stop people from cellphone use while driving, at least you'll understand why.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:14 PM

The ultimate irony is the deputy sheriff in LA who was distracted looking at his squad car computer and hit and killed a cyclist above LA.

I believe the cyclist was Milton Olin Jr. I think the family sued and was eventually awarded 12mm in wrongful death.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 10-19-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:59 PM

The second episode of the latest drop of Black Mirror is about the same subject. Really sad.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
The ultimate irony is the deputy sheriff in LA who was distracted looking at his squad car computer and hit and killed a cyclist above LA.

I believe the cyclist was Milton Olin Jr. I think the family sued and was eventually awarded 12mm in wrongful death.
The really sad part is that the monetary award is neither punitive or will alter policy for the Sheriffs Department.

Now for a new personal pet peeve of mine.....Traffic lights. Anybody else bothered by slow movement when the light turns green. It seems that everybody looks down at their device at a stoplight, then fails to observe the green signal. It makes me want to just lean on the horn as the signal changes to get the attention of the distracted stopped. She Who Must Be Obeyed reminds me "They'll shoot you!", before they go.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombtfslpk View Post
(...) It seems that everybody looks down at their device at a stoplight, then fails to observe the green signal.(...)
Distracted drivers such as those are a godsend in L.A. Need to get into the next lane at a stop light? Just wait for the huge spaces to open up in front of the idiots gazing down at their phones, and slip in front of them. Works every time.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:55 PM
The B!

but driving is so boring