Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2020, 11:22 AM

Dunno if my experience generalizes, but I've fiddled around w/ the rear cable tension - I baseically overtighten it on the small cog until it clicks then gradually loosen until it doesn't click. the 3rd-cog click has gone away since I did that. Runs quiet now! (although not as quiet as the bike w/ the Athena group! I have to admit...)
Old 08-01-2020, 11:30 AM

Cable tension fix noted.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:48 PM

What exact wheel/ hub is this?

There are very few setups where you’re supposed to use the spacer with an 11 speed cassette on an 11-speed freehub. 11 speed is the wider cassette.

It could just be the spacer.

I literally just screwed this up a couple days ago the other way around. I have an 11 speed Mavic wheel and I stuck a 10 speed shimano cassette on it and only used the Mavic spacer when I actually need the Mavic one plus the 1mm Shimano spacer.

It is doing the same thing you’re talking about. Too much noise but mostly shifts perfectly, just not quite as perfect as it should with a brand new cassette plus chain.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:57 PM

The shimano 11-34 cassettes, both 105 and Ultegra level, are all 10speed width and need a spacer on a 11 speed freehub.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:02 PM

Is that just the 11-34?
Old 08-01-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Is that just the 11-34?
Yes
Old 08-01-2020, 01:40 PM

11-25 cassette same issue?

I recently installed a NOS 6800 group. Besides hoping my crankset doesn't explode at any second I also have a few cogs on the cassette that are chatty. 4th. and 5th. cogs from the bottom especially. The other cogs are quieter than a Billie Eilish vocal. Shifting is perfect. Last Sunday I literally spent 1 1/2 hours with my ear to the cassette adjusting my barrel adjuster waiting for the least amount of noise in a particular gear. Got it to what I thought was the best adjustment. Lubed the chain and virtually no noise. Get out on the road and after a number of miles the noise is back but probably the best it's been since initial install. Should I look at getting a KMC chain too? If so which model? I do think the gold ones are cool!!! Thanks for any advice!!!
Old 08-01-2020, 02:07 PM

I'm running an 11-25 R8000 cassette and while not "rough", it's not as quiet as my prior DA7800 (which to me may have been the most technically perfect drivetrain due to direct-exit vs. bent shifter cables - yes yes the new stuff looks somewhat tidier). And it took some fiddling to get it "reasonable".

I personally have found Shimano chains are noisy compared to say KMC. They quiet down with some wet lube somewhat, but I've never had a perfect silent Shimano chain.

On the R8000:
1) Make sure the high / low limits are set properly;
2) Make sure your derailleur hanger is straight;
3) Fiddle with the tension. Mine seems to like "somewhat tighter" as opposed to somewhat loose. Shimano recommends the 3rd-cog technique, and I tried that to get a baseline, but then spent some time working the chain through the gears and played with the tension to get the best compromise.
4) The old 1/4-turn thing no applies. Mine went from noisy to quieter with 1/8th of a turn!
5) If too loose, the chain will skip.

The tolerances and what not seem tight on 11-speed, so it might be hard to get it right.

If none of that works, others may have better ideas.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainomo View Post
Yes
Crazy. Is that Shimano having a MTB standard for 11 speed and a separate standard for road 11 speed and then just relabeling an MTB cassette for road instead of making one with road spacing?

I’m trying to remember didn’t they do 11 speed first in XTR or something like that?

Super weird. I miss 9 speed.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Crazy. Is that Shimano having a MTB standard for 11 speed and a separate standard for road 11 speed and then just relabeling an MTB cassette for road instead of making one with road spacing?

I’m trying to remember didn’t they do 11 speed first in XTR or something like that?

Super weird. I miss 9 speed.
I believe that is correct.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:29 PM
Steel..what else??

I've had good luck with KMC X11.93 chains and 6800 cassettes.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:09 PM

I wonder if 11 spd Shimano MTB cassettes' teeth have different profiles than 11 speed road? Designed for wider spacing, q-factor etc...

Thinking outloud.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Campag or shimano cassette?
Campag Chorus. KMC x11SL chain
Old 11-14-2021, 07:53 PM

Revisiting this thread

I have these CS-HG800 11 speed 11-34 cassettes on three bikes. I'm tired of the finicky setting and periodic re-adjustment of the cable tension to keep the clicking from occurring. This evening I took one of the cassettes apart, cleaned it well, and took a file to the two teeth on the 25T cog that lift the chain temporarily and cause the annoying click. I marked the two teeth with a Sharpie but once apart it wasn't necessary, because those two teeth are shiny at the leading edge of the tip from the occurrence of this problem.

In the workstand the click is gone, and I'll see if that holds true on the road, and for longer than a few rides. If so, I'm going to modify the other ones, and the two I'm hoarding in the drawer.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I have these CS-HG800 11 speed 11-34 cassettes on three bikes. I'm tired of the finicky setting and periodic re-adjustment of the cable tension to keep the clicking from occurring. This evening I took one of the cassettes apart, cleaned it well, and took a file to the two teeth on the 25T cog that lift the chain temporarily and cause the annoying click. I marked the two teeth with a Sharpie but once apart it wasn't necessary, because those two teeth are shiny at the leading edge of the tip from the occurrence of this problem.

In the workstand the click is gone, and I'll see if that holds true on the road, and for longer than a few rides. If so, I'm going to modify the other ones, and the two I'm hoarding in the drawer.
pro move.

SPP