Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
11-34 Ultegra CS-R800 11 Speed Cassette

Ultegra chain and drivetrain. All new-ish. 11 spd freehub and using supplied spacer.

Anyone else have this issue? Noisy in general and rough feeling. Also found another issue doing research where the third largest cog(27) will make a click every revolution. This seems widely referenced on the web. I had not noticed but a quick check reveals this as well.

Anyone with this issue find a solution? It shifts just fine and is not really noticeable except when cleaning chain etc. But now I know...

Different chain? Different cassette? Just shut up and ride?
I installed the same 11-34 cassette yesterday (with a new DA chain and Ultegra RD) and had the same disappointing experience. Shifts fine but noisy in general coming from a DA cassette and RD.

I experienced the same click problem on the 27T cog however mine happened every second revolution of the cassette. It always happened on the same tooth but only when picking up an inner link (hence every second revolution). Position of the FD didn't change anything. The interim solution was to file the backside of the adjacent tooth on the 25T cog and the problem more or less went away.

I feel like some careful use of thin cassette spacers/shims (e.g. 0.1mm) in specific locations might improve the situation however whether it compromises shifting remains to be seen. Or perhaps a chain with slightly different thickness/geometry.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryker View Post
I installed the same 11-34 cassette yesterday (with a new DA chain and Ultegra RD) and had the same disappointing experience. Shifts fine but noisy in general coming from a DA cassette and RD.

I experienced the same click problem on the 27T cog however mine happened every second revolution of the cassette. It always happened on the same tooth but only when picking up an inner link (hence every second revolution). Position of the FD didn't change anything. The interim solution was to file the backside of the adjacent tooth on the 25T cog and the problem more or less went away.

I feel like some careful use of thin cassette spacers/shims (e.g. 0.1mm) in specific locations might improve the situation however whether it compromises shifting remains to be seen. Or perhaps a chain with slightly different thickness/geometry.
Hmm no surprise. Truthfully I hate Shimano chain and have never really used them over the years much. I don't know why exactly but always used KMC SRAM Sachs chains.

I guess I will go and try a KMC chain and see what happens later. I loathe futzy bike stuff. Good for you for trying to make it work.

Thanks
Old 06-13-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Never had this issue, no.

I personally use a SRAM 1170 with a 105 level 11-32 11s cassette and it is quieter and smoother than the Ultegra chain it replaced. Maybe that was just a bad chain, but it was noisy and broke at three different links on a short tour, whereas the two KMC quick links held fine.
I'm gonna try a KMC or 1170 chain and see what happens.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:29 AM

I just bought a bike which came with a 11-34 cassette / Shimano chain (both brand new), and I am finding it to be noisier than I prefer as well. I will keep an eye on this thread to see if a different chain makes things better.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:49 AM

might be a bent teeth.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
might be a bent teeth.
If only it was that easy. It's a known issue, I just can't find the easy fix so I need to just try something. So it goes

Thx
Old 06-13-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
If only it was that easy. It's a known issue, I just can't find the easy fix so I need to just try something. So it goes
Is this issue isolated just to certain production runs? I ask because I've had an HG800 11-34 cassette on my gravel bike for the past year with zero issues. It runs perfectly with Shimano 5800 shifters/derailleurs, 6800 crankset (46/34 chainrings), Dura Ace chain, and KMC chain connector. I just spent a week riding the roads (gravel and paved) of Acadia National Park and it performed perfectly.

Greg
Old 06-13-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Is this issue isolated just to certain production runs? I ask because I've had an HG800 11-34 cassette on my gravel bike for the past year with zero issues. It runs perfectly with Shimano 5800 shifters/derailleurs, 6800 crankset (46/34 chainrings), Dura Ace chain, and KMC chain connector. I just spent a week riding the roads (gravel and paved) of Acadia National Park and it performed perfectly.

Greg
Not sure entirely.

Seems the 27 tooth issue was fixed for some with a replacement others not so much. I have that issue plus a general rough feeling especially in first three cogs. I can even see it jump a tiny bit.

That said it's not a huge problem but I am a bit of princess now that I know it. Especially the 27T thing. It must be fixed! :-)

It shifts flawlessly under all conditions.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
I just bought a bike which came with a 11-34 cassette / Shimano chain (both brand new), and I am finding it to be noisier than I prefer as well. I will keep an eye on this thread to see if a different chain makes things better.
I'll def. post what I find.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:35 AM

I have these cassettes on the Anderson and the Firefly. The Anderson drivetrain is close to silent. The Firefly is noticeably noisier, but not just in one gear. Both running KMC 11s chains, both reasonably new, same lube. Anderson is Ultegra RD, Firefly is Dura Ace. Similar total chain wrap (44-33 on the Anderson, 46-34 on the FF, both have the 1st cog changed to a 12T 6800 series.)

I thought it was likely to be the chainrings, as the FF has SRAM Red and the Anderson has TA.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:25 AM

I've had the same issue with my HG800 clicking on the 27 cog from day one. Running with Shimano 11 speed chain. No issues with R8000 11-30 cassette or 6800 11-28 cassette.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I've had the same issue with my HG800 clicking on the 27 cog from day one. Running with Shimano 11 speed chain. No issues with R8000 11-30 cassette or 6800 11-28 cassette.
For testing I swapped in an 11-32 without changing my limits, cable tension, or B-tension settings (i.e. no changes). It shifts perfectly through the entire range, has no oddball issues in single gears, and seems to be much quieter.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:44 AM

I have one 11-34 cassette, and I can't say it's run rough. However, while trying to confirm which cog was the 27t one, I came across this Cyclingtips article, which said

Quote:
In the early days of testing, I experienced a bit of unexplained roughness and noise in certain gears with both this and a new R8000 cassette. Frankly I can’t explain it, and even where everything was set up perfectly, one or two gears (typically around the 17T sprocket) made more noise than they should. Thankfully the cassette eventually wore in, and the noise soon disappeared.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:45 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Yeah, I think this is just an issue with the 27 cog, if someone has the issue with their top three cogs I think it is something else. If you fix it with a different chain, please let us know, I'd be more than happy to change. It's a gear I use a lot, and even micro adjusting the Di2 does nothing for it. Seems like a company as big as Shimano should have better QC.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryker View Post
For testing I swapped in an 11-32 without changing my limits, cable tension, or B-tension settings (i.e. no changes). It shifts perfectly through the entire range, has no oddball issues in single gears, and seems to be much quieter.
Ah ha!

So it appears more likely that I should keep the chain and swap the cassette?

TY both.