Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2023, 09:29 AM

Cycling in/around Breckinridge

I tried to get some info on the ski mountains website but it's terrible. I can't find a schedule or calendar. I'm wondering if the mountain is still open for mountain biking next week. I've always wanted to try that.

Otherwise I'd like to rent a road bike, possibly both as I will be there for a week.

If anyone has any advice on where to rent and where to ride, would be much appreciated.

Regards.
Old 09-07-2023, 11:32 AM

Haven't been to Breck in over 10 years. But remember a paved trail from Breck to Frisco. Then one on to Vail. And now probably one all around Lake Dillon. Bike shops in Frisco had Mtn Biking info as I recall. Don't know about road riding. But many of the ski equipment shops rent bikes in summer and fall. I was there once in late spring, and everything was a mess from the melt and sand everywhere. And Mtn Bikers were having fun coming down A Basin.
Old 09-07-2023, 12:03 PM

If you're wanting to take your bike up the ski mountain and ride down, the hours for the gondola and super chair lift are here.

If you want to ride trails, there are no shortage of great ones all over the mountains around Breck. Horseshoe Gulch and Soda Creek have great blue-level singletrack and plenty of climbing.

Summit Rec Path runs between Breck and Frisco and around Lake Dillon if you want to ride on the road. From Frisco, the path goes on to Copper and over Vail Pass to Vail. You can also ride Hwy 9 up to Hoosier Pass in the opposite direction from Breck, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I'm wondering if the mountain is still open for mountain biking next week. I've always wanted to try that.

Otherwise I'd like to rent a road bike, possibly both as I will be there for a week.

If anyone has any advice on where to rent and where to ride, would be much appreciated.

Regards.
Old 09-07-2023, 12:44 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
paved trail from Breck to Frisco. Then one on to Vail. one all around Lake Dillon.
That's what I did when I stayed with a friend at Breck.

On my way climbing up to Vail , encountered quite a number of cyclists on hybrids coming down, apparently there are local shops that offer bike rentals and also transport to Vail where you can just cruise down the descent.

Last edited by weisan; 09-07-2023 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-07-2023, 12:52 PM

As others have said - unless you only want to ride downhills, no need to go to the resort.

Trails literally all over - they used to provide a printed guide with the most common routes that you could pick up all over town. If that is not available, just use a resource like this https://www.mtbproject.com/directory...7/breckenridge
Old 09-07-2023, 01:05 PM
slower than you

Good luck with road bike rental. Ever changing situation. Google is your friend.

Loveland pass, Vail pass (on an isolated paved trail), and maybe a drive over to Miniturn to do Tennessee pass. All will introduce you to oxygen deprivation. Grand finale could be Mt. Evans at 14,000 plus, after a drive down to Idaho Springs, and start from the school parking lot the race starts from every year. Be conscious of weather reports in monsoon season, or, any season, really, and carry a decent rain jacket and maybe arm and leg warmers. You can be in a hail storm fast.

Last edited by Mr. Pink; 09-07-2023 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-07-2023, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
That's what I did when I stayed with a friend at Breck.

On my way climbing up to Vail , encountered quite a number of cyclists on hybrids coming down, apparently there are local shops that offer bike rentals and also transport to Vail where you can just cruise down the descent.
Yes.....Riders can rent bikes in Frisco....and the shop hauls them up to Vail pass, then they ride back. Mostly downhill. Can do the same in Glenwood Springs. Shop hauls you to top of canyon, then you ride the trail under I 70 mostly along the Colorado River back to town. Did this one time with family.
Old 09-07-2023, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
As others have said - unless you only want to ride downhills, no need to go to the resort.

Trails literally all over - they used to provide a printed guide with the most common routes that you could pick up all over town. If that is not available, just use a resource like this https://www.mtbproject.com/directory...7/breckenridge
I've done a decent amount of riding in the area. Though you can ride some of the ski resort trails without getting on the lift, I think east of town is generally more interesting riding. Some personal favorites, depending on your appetite for long climbs at altitude - Galena Gulch to CT, 9-Wheeler-Spruce-Burro, and the ride that MTB Project calls the "the whole east side". i'd definitely try to hit Aspen Alley at least once, maybe as part of a Boreas Pass ride.
Old 09-07-2023, 03:03 PM

Cool, thanks. I forgot that they have those long separate from the road bike 'roads' out there. That sounds like a lot of fun too. Come to think of it I might just hit trails and forget about the ski lift.
Old 09-07-2023, 04:29 PM

Road or Mtb

Well, for mountain biking there are simply a lot of trails all over. I typically have never done resort riding. I'd ask a local shop, most lean more toward mtb IMO.

Last time I was there I only did road riding. I kind of wandered around all the roads on the east side of town (across from the ski resort), some steep stuff (which convinced me to go to disc brakes). In the past I rode Hoosier Pass. Last time I went over it far too much traffic, but it might be better in the off season. Heading north out of town you can ride the bike path and head toward Frisco and from there to Copper and beyond. Or you can do Swan Mountain road which is a nice ride and will get you toward Keystone. Or, you can get a gravel bike, do a little of both.
Old 09-07-2023, 07:28 PM

Last time I was there was for copper triangle and stayed at Copper. The trails from Frisco to copper and up to the vail pass are great.
Old 09-07-2023, 07:42 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Or you could do the Triple Bypass: 117.2 mi +10,791 ft / -11,121 ft

https://www.triplebypass.org/triple-courses

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41321775
Old 09-07-2023, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Or you could do the Triple Bypass: 117.2 mi +10,791 ft / -11,121 ft

https://www.triplebypass.org/triple-courses

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41321775
Ooof!

That's a bit much for me right now. 40-60 miles I will be okay. It will be interesting to ride at altitude which I've never done. Here on the East coast Mt Mitchel which I have ridden regularly is a mere mile high-ish, not enough to notice much.