Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2021, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
If it fits the Look would be my choice. Great bike and your reasoning makes sense to me. Scrape on the fork is character building. Find out how it happened so then you can embellish a good yarn about how it happened.
Oh I forgot to mention about the scrape—no joke, a grizzly bear did that! Owner was descending out of the Sequoia National Forest park and the hairy bugger took a swipe at his Cliff bar. (Don’t snack and ride, folks.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Look hands down.
I keep waiting for someone to go to bat for that poor Litespeed... Suspect it ain’t gonna happen. Thanks for adding your voice to the chorus.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:06 AM

Assuming they fit.

Litespeed = Meh (sorry to offend)

585 = Nice bike

Merlin = Legendary (for a reason)

Your Welcome
Old 01-23-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful View Post
Assuming they fit.

Litespeed = Meh (sorry to offend)

585 = Nice bike

Merlin = Legendary (for a reason)

Your Welcome
Well... thanks! 😂

Merlin has the mystique, no question, but everything I’ve read on this forum and elsewhere suggests the 585 is rather legendary in its own right—it just happens to made from recycled detergent bottles rather than an alloy from the future. :lol:

From my perspective, the Merlin Road in question (note: not the more celebrated ExtraLight) that started this thread would require a significant investment to really make it sing (new drivetrain, fork, etc.), whereas the Look will need, at most, a new stem to fine-tune the fit. It already comes with a ridiculous $1200 wheel set with low miles on it, a complete group in good shape... you get the picture. And it’s priced exactly the same as the Merlin ($850).

At the end of the day, I feel like I have a grasp of how Ti rides—my lowly Tuscany had its share of fans back in the day for being both nimble and comfortable, and I can confirm that it lives up to its reputation. But I’ve yet to try a properly “nice” lugged carbon frame. So my gut tells me the time is right to see what the fuss is about. And if it doesn’t work out, then I’ll double down on my Merlin/Serotta Ti quest and put that longing to rest for good. Theoretically.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:08 AM
Riding Along

I am a big Ti fan and don't even own a CF bike. Of the 3 I would buy the 585. You have a Ti bike and the 585 is legendary.

WWJLRD (what would JLR do?) I think we know.

Old 01-23-2021, 11:26 AM

LOOK>Merlin>Lightspeed

As much as I like my Merlin that Look is the best bang for the buck. Bear scratch takes it over the top.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
I am a big Ti fan and don't even own a CF bike. Of the 3 I would buy the 585. You have a Ti bike and the 585 is legendary.

WWJLRD (what would JLR do?) I think we know.

So you’re suggesting an eBike with 4” tires and a built-in margarita machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
LOOK>Merlin>Lightspeed

As much as I like my Merlin that Look is the best bang for the buck. Bear scratch takes it over the top.
Thanks, Mike. I think so too. Now if *your* Merlin were up for sale for $800 (and a coupla sizes bigger)...
Old 01-23-2021, 12:06 PM

I love my 1996 Litespeed Classic, and I have a friend who loves his 1999 Litespeed Classic. I'll bet there are plenty of people here who love their Litespeeds, but don't feel compelled to change anybody's negative opinion about them. Why bother. Just this time though, I did feel compelled to mention this. LOL

Having said that, since you already have a Tuscany, you really need to get that Look and ride the heck out of it to see if it really measures up to its legendary status. I look forward to your ride report.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:08 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylarue View Post
Now if *your* Merlin were up for sale for $800 (and a coupla sizes bigger)...
In the hypothetical world in which that happened, his inbox would be filled with PMs within a minute of being listed.

I kinda want you to buy the Litespeed just because I so desperately want to see that stem/bar situation addressed. (I know, whatever makes it work for the owner.)
Old 01-23-2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren128 View Post
I love my 1996 Litespeed Classic, and I have a friend who loves his 1999 Litespeed Classic. I'll bet there are plenty of people here who love their Litespeeds, but don't feel compelled to change anybody's negative opinion about them. Why bother. Just this time though, I did feel compelled to mention this. LOL

Having said that, since you already have a Tuscany, you really need to get that Look and ride the heck out of it to see if it really measures up to its legendary status. I look forward to your ride report.
Yes, I have a mid to late Litespeed Classic that I really like. It was my commuter for like 5 years and worked well. I bought just the frame for $400. One great thing about it is the frame is it came with a ti Serotta heads up! Nice accessory that helps raise the bar!

Now that I’m retired and not going in, I’m thinking of either selling it or upgrading the parts - basically a mix of Campy and Shimano 9 parts.

Probably the downside is low as the frame requires a 1” fork (I have an uncut Columbus Minimal carbon fork on it), the frame can only accommodate like 25mm tires (I currently have fenders on it) and it uses rim brakes, which i guess is really inferior to hydro disc brakes, or so say my buddies....

Still, I highly recommend getting one as used to frames are the “best buys” on the market. Good Luck!
Old 01-23-2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
In the hypothetical world in which that happened, his inbox would be filled with PMs within a minute of being listed.

I kinda want you to buy the Litespeed just because I so desperately want to see that stem/bar situation addressed. (I know, whatever makes it work for the owner.)
Ha! Indeed, it requires a bit of aesthetic help on the front end. The owner last rode it on a century in 2016 (at age 57) and admits his body is no longer friends with this frame, but his odometer on this bike is somewhere near the 10 gazillion mile mark so he obviously found ways to make it work for him over the years.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren128 View Post

I honestly think Litespeed’s reputation suffers primarily from overexposure (people loved to hate on those yellow decals), and possibly from trying to market too many different frames, among which just a few were outright critical successes. Merlin had a much shorter and more focused run, so their cachet has remained relatively intact. Who can say? If I didn’t already have a Tuscany, I’d probably be all over that Classic. The seller is a really nice guy who knows his stuff.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
Yes, I have a mid to late Litespeed Classic that I really like. It was my commuter for like 5 years and worked well. I bought just the frame for $400. One great thing about it is the frame is it came with a ti Serotta heads up! Nice accessory that helps raise the bar!

Now that I’m retired and not going in, I’m thinking of either selling it or upgrading the parts - basically a mix of Campy and Shimano 9 parts.

Probably the downside is low as the frame requires a 1” fork (I have an uncut Columbus Minimal carbon fork on it), the frame can only accommodate like 25mm tires (I currently have fenders on it) and it uses rim brakes, which i guess is really inferior to hydro disc brakes, or so say my buddies....

Still, I highly recommend getting one as used to frames are the “best buys” on the market. Good Luck!
Thanks for your input! I share in your frustration regarding tire clearances. My Tuscany would struggle to fit even 25s. (The springy frame thankfully compensates for this somewhat.)

Would it have killed the frame designers to consider leaving an extra couple of mm for slightly fatter tires? I guess gravel bikes had to become a thing before this evolutionary step could happen...
Old 01-23-2021, 10:24 PM

A little Litespeed love, 1999 Ultimate frame, however from the same era.

Old 01-24-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
A little Litespeed love, 1999 Ultimate frame, however from the same era.

Nice build, Marc. Good job with the matching yellow accents on the Cosmics. My teeth rattle a bit just looking at that chunky down tube, but I assume the Ti takes some of the sting out of the equation...
Old 01-24-2021, 02:37 PM

I guess I just don't see the utility of buying something like this if it comes with an old 1 inch carbon fork. You can get a more modern version of the same bike for more and while I really want a Ti bike, I just don't see the appeal of spending money for something that's so outdated in so many ways.

There are still some good 1inch forks available, like the columbus minimal but if I were buying that I'd have to spend a decent amount of money on some parts before feeling safe riding it. I have zero interest in riding a 90's carbon fork.